Pop appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
I'm just as gutted as anyone here about a winter 2004 release of a new album. So last night I played Pop to remind me of when U2 were last cutting edge and creative. Do You Feel Loved is the closest to down right dirty that U2 have ever got. Mofo pisses on anything that was released during the apparent burst of "electronica" into the public conscience in 1997. The original version of Staring at the Sun is comparable to Stay, Faraway So Close in understated beauty. As for experimentation Miami could have helped Passengers become a slightly less pedestrian album. The Playboy Mansion has lyrics which for me are some of the most spiritual that Bono has laid down, even more so than Wake Up Dead Man, which is as heavy and sombre(in a good way) as i have heard the boys get. To round it off the Edge' solo in Velvet Dress has forced me to re-define my view of his finest solo moment, its up there with that fine wall of energy on the solo in The Fly. So we have to wait till next winter hey? As long as the fruits of our patience and their labour isn't middle of the road ATYCLB which i prefer to call road kill, but more of the brave energy of Pop/Achtung Baby i don't mind the wait.

:up: :love: Pop!! You've inspired me to put it in again! DYFL is so great, gritty, dirty, awesome! It's cool to know U2 ventured into Pop-waters and weren't afraid. I loveee SATS too :dance:

Expect Nothing
But the best :wink:

Chizip said:
talk about....pop muzik

Don't start getting B-Sides on us...... :)

Am I the only one that wishes we'd get a reworked version of the album called Pop...Naked........or it'd be the opposite since there'd be more production.......like Pop....The Full Lemon.....

I'll just wait for the next ATYCLB thread I guess.........:huh:

This album is growing on me. I need to hear a live version of it...I saw a POPMART special years ago on HBO but that was long ago.
I'm a DVD snob who has no use for VHS these days, but I really should get a POPMART video!

Pop, what a great album!!!! Its the "in-your-face" attitude of u2, I think if they would have changed their look to be a bit darker and grittier then it may have gone over a bit better with the general audiance.

It's too bad for those that missed out.............

Am I the only person who gets a really spiritual feeling from Do You Feel Loved?

An amazing album full of audacious and absorbing songs.....

However, it takes many a listen to grow on someone........like Do you feel loved is continually becoming my favourite song on the album, up there with velvet dress, please and last night on earth....

Love it, only u2 could be bold to release such a brave album, and only u2 could maintain the respect of most of their fans after such an experiment....

....however, playboy mansion, IMO is possibly u2's worst song....

....i love miami, especially that line, one of the all time u2 greats

"Theres some places like your auntie but no place like Miami"

Axver said:
Am I the only person who gets a really spiritual feeling from Do You Feel Loved?

...not a spiritual feeling, cause i aint really spiritual person....but its a moving and uplifting track...

Axver said:

I know what you mean, Axver. This is possibly my favourite song from Pop (oh, but I love SATS, Gone, Last Night on Earth ...) and I feel it's a really deep kind of song.

I love Pop. One of U2's finer moments, I believe, and it's just too bad it was received so unenthusiastically at the time. To be honest I really disliked Discoteque when it first came out, and I remember reading reviews of the album (this was before I was the U2 fan I am today) and agreeing with the negative comments. But then i heard SATS and I could appreciate Pop a lot more.

I watched the video for Discotheque the other day, and I got to thinking about POP. I think Discotheque built POP up to be something that it wasn't. I would've liked it if U2 had actually pushed the envelope with Pop a little more. Songs like "Do you feel loved", "Mofo" and "Discotheque" were amazing. I wish they had continued in the same vein as those songs. They could've made a fantastic album, combining rock with elements of dance and electronic stylings. I know that some people say that you can't create passion with electronic music.....but that's just not true. It can and has been done. I just sometimes think about the groundbreaking, revolutionary record U2 could've made had they followed through with their original plan. Pop, as much as I love it, is a record that doesn't know what it wants to sound like.

When I first saw "Discotheque" video the day of it's release, I thought "whoa, if the whole album is like this, this is going to be an amazing ride." I can hardly say I was disapointed with pop, because I love it to death. But sometimes I just think about the record they could have made instead of the record they did make.

very true!
remember when u2 played small clubs to promote atyclb and the audience would shout mofo mofo(i wonder what the band were thinking about this)even at the elevation shows people would shout mofo, mofo.

shaun vox said:
very true!
remember when u2 played small clubs to promote atyclb and the audience would shout mofo mofo(i wonder what the band were thinking about this)even at the elevation shows people would shout mofo, mofo.

I'm pretty sure they were shouting for Soulful and myself. Can you blame them? :wink:

POP is without a doubt the best album of 1997, and U2's best release for 1997. It should have won a Grammy.

Cheers,

J

Ah, this forum never does change. I can go away for months upon months and I know that whenever I come back there will be a "Pop appreciation thread" on the first page of Everything You Know is Wrong. It's like entering a time warp. It's like coming home, and you don't know where you been.

I didn't like Pop at first but now I do. I don't like Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, Discothque, or Miami. I love the rest! Especially, If God Will Send His Angels, Please, The Playboy Mansion, and Wake Up Dead Man. I love The Play Mansion and Wake Up Dead Man lyrics!:tongue: :cool:

Pop would be my favourite album if there weren't a few others ahead of it :der:
I love every single song on it and that doesn't happen with me every day.

Except for a few other albums...:hmm:

lol Angela!

This is the first time I've seen a Pop appreciation thread in a few months actually! :up:

I did listen to the album again after seeing this thread and refell in love with IGWSHA. I know some pop fans think its a weaker song on the album, but its beauty and Bono's soaring voice is so transcending!

oliveu2cm said:
I did listen to the album again after seeing this thread and refell in love with IGWSHA. I know some pop fans think its a weaker song on the album, but its beauty and Bono's soaring voice is so transcending!

:yes:. I was listening to this album this morning, and the lyrics at the end of that song in particular just really hit me. Same with "Wake Up Dead Man". I can really relate to those two songs.

"If God Will Send His Angels" is one of my personal favorite U2 songs ever-like you said, the way Bono sings it is just incredible, and moving...

This album's definitely in my top 5 out of these guys' albums. Like Angela Harlem said, there's not a song off of there I don't like. "Miami" is one funky little tune, "Do You Feel Loved?" has some of the sexiest lyrics ever, "Staring At The Sun" is all-around great (love the guitar in it, the lyrics)...yeah, this whole album kicks butt.

Angela

New York,London,Paris,Munich
Everybody talkabout pop muzik...................
pop pop pop pop pop pop popmuzik

Back
Top Bottom