Poor Joshua Tree!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This isn't a new story, but it breaks my heart all the same:

u2-arm.jpg

Then.

u2tree-2003-83.jpg

Now.

(from: http://www.joshuatreenationalpark.net/u2tree.htm)

Guess Achtung Baby really was successful at "chopping down the Joshua Tree!"

Utoo said:

Guess Achtung Baby really was successful at "chopping down the Joshua Tree!"

:lmao:!!!

Seriously, why was it chopped down? :| I didn't even get a chance to take a picture! :mad:

Re: Re: Poor Joshua Tree!

Zootlesque said:

:lmao:!!!

Seriously, why was it chopped down? :| I didn't even get a chance to take a picture! :mad:

The guy on that site puts forth a pretty believable scenario about how it fell. I've also heard that the process started from fans leaning on its branches for pictures. :mad: Who knows?

"THE" Joshua Tree is no longer standing, however there are many others in the National park and throughout the dessert, they are really lovely and each unique in its own way. I love them all.

Can somebody give the location -- maybe even in GPS coordinates. I do know one thing about the tree though, it's not where most people think it is, it's about 300 miles from the Joshua Tree National Monument. Oddly enough, I think I drove by this location in 1997!

If only I knew what I was looking for?

This guy's site has a great story about how he found it, took pics of it and left a memorial to it :sad:

http://www.henrywagner.org/u2/

Scroll down and click on "The Joshua Tree."

While you're there, check out his awesome concert shots too. I see he has added some new ones from Vertigo!

I feel horrible, but I kinda chuckled at first, simply because I didn't kow what I was going to see, and so, first I saw the tree standing proud, and then scrolled down as I was reading and was shocked by the tree lying in the dust...but then after I laughed, I was ad....:sad:

heheh, i meant time for the actual the hike through the park and actually finding IT. cuz there are sooo many other joshua trees out there, you know? ;]

:sad: The first time I saw the website I nearly cried too... was kind of a :huh: moment for me. Didn't realize I was so attached to the album... :(

Well, if you're going to look for it in JT National Park you won't find it. Its somehwere even more remote. Think Death Valley.

Bono signed my map to the location in Houston back in October. :)

tuwie said:
heheh, i meant time for the actual the hike through the park and actually finding IT. cuz there are sooo many other joshua trees out there, you know? ;]

It's nowhere near the Park, and where it really is, it was the only one around for a ways when it was standing. It really stood out. I spotted it right away from the road as my husband drove the car. Now you can't spot it from the road; you either have to know its exact location, or use the mountains from the lp gatefold sleeve as markers.

BUT! The stubby looking smaller tree is still there! I'm going to find it in June and I'm going to make short film about it beginning with the footage of Bono signing the map.

thanks for all the tips, guys!
lemontreeexit, please share with us the video once it's done! i would LOVE to see it! have fun and best of luck! =)

ok, so the site says it's located at Zaibriske point. so that's not in the Park? ...this is going to be harder than I thought.
martha, you said "now you can't spot it from the road"...which road are you talking about? the highway or a smaller one?

tuwie said:

ok, so the site says it's located at Zaibriske point. so that's not in the Park? ...this is going to be harder than I thought.

:eyebrow: Ok, by Park, I meant Joshua Tree. Zabriskie Point is the cover shot of the four of them. That's in Death Valley. There are no trees of any kind near Zabriskie Point. The Tree is near Death Valley, but not in it.

tuwie said:

martha, you said "now you can't spot it from the road"...which road are you talking about? the highway or a smaller one?

The main highway. You have to walk in from the main highway.

Back
Top Bottom