Poopropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with unico - Pooropa would have been much better.

Poopropa is just not catchy.

Or maybe Zooropop, but then you don't get the delightful scatalogical humor. Oh well.

lazarus said:

Huh?!

Schizophrenic much?

No. 90's U2 is my favourite, but I have no problem with 00's U2. I think ATYCLB is one of their best albums. HTDAAB isn't one of the best but it does not suck and I'm damn tired of all the complaints about it. When a band makes a record I don't like, I get over it and listen to something else. I don't obsessively criticize it for 3 years (and I'm not talking about you, I don't know of you're one of those people or not, but some other people certainly...)

Then again I'm also tired of people defending it, as the arguments from both sides don't really change much. Ultimately it's purely opinion and no one is going to convince anyone else. We should just have a giant thread for debating HTDAAB and/or 00's U2 and get rid of all the rest.

I can't believe he thinks it's ok, theme that he fails to pull off or no theme, to leave out Gone and Stay, imo the best song on each album, which I'd put in the first tier of egregiously excluded songs, and Last Night on Earth, Please, Staring at the Sun, second, and The Wanderer and Wake Up Dead Man, third. And he'd rather have Holy Joe and MIAMI??? MIAMI????????

The wicked percussion offbeat drums and bass, the screaming guitar and the eerie synth line make Miami one of their best songs ever! Top 20 material! :drool:

AtomicBono said:

No. 90's U2 is my favourite, but I have no problem with 00's U2. I think ATYCLB is one of their best albums. HTDAAB isn't one of the best but it does not suck and I'm damn tired of all the complaints about it. When a band makes a record I don't like, I get over it and listen to something else. I don't obsessively criticize it for 3 years (and I'm not talking about you, I don't know of you're one of those people or not, but some other people certainly...)

Then again I'm also tired of people defending it, as the arguments from both sides don't really change much. Ultimately it's purely opinion and no one is going to convince anyone else. We should just have a giant thread for debating HTDAAB and/or 00's U2 and get rid of all the rest.

Not to sound bitchy, Atomic, but you've now described Pop, Zooropa, and ATYCLB as "one of their best" albums. Assuming you like AB and JT as much as those, it's hard to determine where your preferences lie, aside from HTDAAB not being one of their best.

I don't think there's much particularly wrong with 00's U2, it's just seems a tad uninspired. What I find strange is that when people criticize 00's U2 for being too safe and unambitious, the supporters cry out that we can't appreciate good pop music. Well the question is, throughout the 80's or 90's, was anyone thinking "gee, I wish U2 would just hunker down and craft an album of radio-friendly pop classics"? Because even if you didn't care for Pop, there's a lot of grey area in between that boundary of experimentation and what they've become since the beginning of the decade. U2 have always been able to craft a pop song while still flexing their musical muscles and charting new territory--it's on every pre-00's album. So I thing the issue is that it sounds too homogenous. I love the songs on HTDAAB, but as an album it's not necessarily what I would prefer to be hearing.

If you shout... said:

I'd agree with some of it. I'd pick different songs for the post -AB compilation, though, in no particular order because that takes way too much thinking:

1.Numb
2.Lemon
3.Miss Sarajevo
4.Your Blue Room
5.Do You Feel Loved?
6.MOFO
7.Please (single version)

That's pretty much it, but I'd also accept:
8.Stay
9.Miami
10.Staring at the Sun
11. The First Time

I enjoy the acoustic version of "Wake Up, Dead Man" they played in 2001, though.
That's it. I don't care for anything else and I really tried! I didn't own many albums in the 90s, since I was in high school and Zooropa was the first album I ever bought. I actually respect Pop in some ways. Zooropa is the band's most unforgiveable effort, though. Just rushed and lazy, awful melodies mostly!

There are a few songs from this decade that I think are great, though:

Stuck in a Moment
In a Little While
perhaps Kite, Miracle Drug and Original of the Species (though the lyrics of the latter 2 are pretty lame and vague in a non-artistic way)

Last edited:
lazarus said:

I don't think there's much particularly wrong with 00's U2, it's just seems a tad uninspired. What I find strange is that when people criticize 00's U2 for being too safe and unambitious, the supporters cry out that we can't appreciate good pop music. Well the question is, throughout the 80's or 90's, was anyone thinking "gee, I wish U2 would just hunker down and craft an album of radio-friendly pop classics"? Because even if you didn't care for Pop, there's a lot of grey area in between that boundary of experimentation and what they've become since the beginning of the decade. U2 have always been able to craft a pop song while still flexing their musical muscles and charting new territory--it's on every pre-00's album. So I thing the issue is that it sounds too homogenous. I love the songs on HTDAAB, but as an album it's not necessarily what I would prefer to be hearing.

I may not agree with you, Laz, but I do appreciate you describing your tastes so eloquently. :up:

I am one of the biggest 90's U2 fans you'll ever meet. I adore EVERYTHING they did during that period, and even have tons of pointless remix discs scattered throughout my CD collection. It's one of the most fruitful, creative, and colorful periods any artist I love has ever had (and I'm a Beatles nut). But even I have great appreciation for 00's U2. Don't ask me why, but I get chills listening to HTDAAB. It could be the memories and associations I have connected with it, or it could be that it's just a truly great album. Probably both. I'm also one of the few who loved Electrical Storm, Window In The Skies, AND The Hands That Built America. Are my tastes considerably less than picky? You know for a fact that I can be a bit stingy. :wink: I just think that U2 still has it. Apparently, the vast majority still agree with me, if not U2 themselves.

And I agree with Cori: the list should have been called Zooropop. That's a nifty title. :yes:

Varitek said:
Right not to mention the killer lyrics, so genious and misunderstood.

Um.. I don't know if you're being sarcastic but I didn't say anything about the lyrics. But I was completely 100% serious in my post.

Zootlesque said:

Um.. I don't know if you're being sarcastic but I didn't say anything about the lyrics. But I was completely 100% serious in my post.

Yeah, that was sarcasm. I think Miami's the worst thing they ever released on an album. There are a couple close competitors from the last two, but Miami takes the cake. And I like the other 11 songs on Pop just fine (maybe 10, depending on how I feel about The Playboy Mansion at any given moment).

lazarus said:

Not to sound bitchy, Atomic, but you've now described Pop, Zooropa, and ATYCLB as "one of their best" albums. Assuming you like AB and JT as much as those, it's hard to determine where your preferences lie, aside from HTDAAB not being one of their best.

:eyebrow: you want a list of my favourite albums?

1. Pop
2. Achtung
3. JT
4. ATYCLB
5. Zooropa
6. Boy
7. HTDAAB
8. War
9. October
10. UF
11. R&H

somethin' like that. 3-5 are interchangable on any given day, and I don't have terribly strong preferences about anything after HTDAAB other than R&H is my least favourite. 80's U2 is good, but I feel like the albums are the most inconsistent (other than Boy and JT obviously). War's first half is amazing, the second half is forgettable. UF is extremely cohesive as an album and definitely greater than the sum of its parts, but take the songs individually and save for a few they're not U2's best. But I'll also say that, while some are stronger than others, I love every U2 album. I honestly enjoy all the different styles they've explored. I do hope for a change in direction with the next album, but if we get more of the sound they had on HTDAAB, I won't mind much as long as the songs are good.

at least we can all agree on this: that list fucking sucks.

Varitek said:
Yeah, that was sarcasm. I think Miami's the worst thing they ever released on an album.

It's a grower. I hated it at first too. Give it another chance. We can always agree to disagree.

Zootlesque said:

It's a grower. I hated it at first too. Give it another chance. We can always agree to disagree.

You know what's weird, after hearing all the criticism of Pop here and other places before getting it a few months ago, I thought the whole thing would be a mess - but then I went and youtubed some videos for some of the songs (about half the album, eventually =D), and couldn't understand the criticism. It wasn't a waste of money when I got it. I liked Miami immediately when I first heard it, because I didn't go into it with any preconceived notions. It's just nasty poetry. With awesome backing music and sounds. Everything, the inflection, everything fits perfectly into it. It may not be profound, but it does have a nastiness to it that's very...palpable. :yes:

Miami is the only interesting song on it except for the first 3 songs and the last 3 which are excellent

Back
Top Bottom