Poll: The 2 most popular albums. AB vs JT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer, Achtung Baby or the Joshua Tree?

• The Joshua Tree

Votes: 28 28.3%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 71 71.7%

• Total voters

ILuvLarryMullen

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The two most popular albums. Which do you prefer, Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree?
I personally prefer Achtung Baby, but the Joshua Tree is my second favorite.

Achtung Baby it is!

But since I love both albums, I'd vote for either Joshua Baby or Achtung Tree. :yes:

I find it odd that people just can't see these albums for what they are: two masterpieces, two very different masterpieces. I find it strange that people would actually cheer one on to be "better" than the other? It's not exactly a contest, is it? I do think a lot of people resent the fact that Joshua Tree spoke to an entire generation, and gets all the mass attention. That shouldn't take away from the fact that it is a brilliant album; and it surely doesn't take away from the fact that Achtung Baby is also a brilliant album -- does it?

Oh, and I just wanted to make it clear that I'm totally fine with this poll! I realize it's just asking us which album we prefer. I just find some of the cheering on kind of perplexing, that's all. It's as though people think (judging by the excitment fueled by JT losing) that by outvoting JT, it will somehow make it worse off than Achtung Baby -- like somehow us voting on a couple of albums will actually change the worth of these albums. Does that make sense?

Isn't this a bit like choosing which child is your favorite? Both albums have so many strong points, Earth-shattering moments and serve to comfort and inspire during different trials and celebrations in my life, I can't possibly choose. If it was either one of those versus ATYCLB, I would have to choose AB or JT, even though I really love ATYCLB.

JT - stronger individual songs
AB - stronger overall album

or something like that.

I believe Achtung Baby is U2's most "complete" album, but Joshua Tree reaches certain peaks that Achtung Baby never touches. Sort of what Skeek said, I guess, but I wouldn't say that Achtung Baby is a "stronger" album -- just more complete in the territory each of them were trying to cover.

Last edited:
The Joshua Tree bay-bee! :yes:

I like Achtung Baby, but it's far from being my fave U2 album. In fact, I think it's a bit overrated.

:ohmy:
:silent:

And wtf is up w/ your sig, Michael Griffiths? Is that implying that you post opinions that aren't necessarily yours just to stir things up? ;)

Last edited:
Both albums have a different feel and vibe to them...

Achtung Baby is the dark rocking album

Joshua Tree is the atmospheric desert ride through your life

I'd have to pick "The Joshua Tree", just because it pulled me into U2.

Acrobat_Al said:

what?? you mean Ok Computer vs. The Bends, didn't you?? :yes:

Nope, he meant OK Computer and Kid A. Bends is really good and gets more critical acclaim because it's more user freindly than Kid A. Radiohead's later albums are more emotionally cool and desolate as compared to the Bends warmer tone, plus they are less conventional. I personally don't stick Amnesiac at my top fave list because it's too dark and depressing to listen to too often. Great album with some great songs. Give Hail to teh Theif a few years perspective and I think it'll come up ass one of Radiohead's greats too.

Anyhow back to U2. JT does have better songs and is a tad less gimicky in terms of it's sound. It ages better because it has a classic sound. Ab while a great album is very much an album of the early nineties on some of it's songs. As a cohesive album I'd reate AB just a tad higher than JT because JT also has a nice cohesive feel too it, just not so much a story.

Overall I'd rate JT as an almost flawless jewel, with AB being better and more developed in points but having more flaws.

I rate JT slightly higher for it's near perfection with regards to the band's development at that time.

Back
Top Bottom