Please Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since the song is about the troubles in Northern Ireland, the video is a representation of that. Everyone is walking around on their knees at the start, symbolic of the piousness that everyone claims to have. Then as the video progresses they get off their knees and you see a "reality" of hatred and bitterness. The old man with the peace sign represents hope and a possiblity of peace, however he is attacked by the angry mob...these people don't want peace. At the end he drops the sign and flies off...giving up on his mission. The little girl represents innocence and renewal. She picks up the sign, symbolizing that there is still hope in the world, that the hope of peace will not go away, but will be carried in future generations. Hopefully those future generations will have that peace.

daisybean said:
since the song is about the troubles in Northern Ireland, the video is a representation of that. Everyone is walking around on their knees at the start, symbolic of the piousness that everyone claims to have. Then as the video progresses they get off their knees and you see a "reality" of hatred and bitterness. The old man with the peace sign represents hope and a possiblity of peace, however he is attacked by the angry mob...these people don't want peace. At the end he drops the sign and flies off...giving up on his mission. The little girl represents innocence and renewal. She picks up the sign, symbolizing that there is still hope in the world, that the hope of peace will not go away, but will be carried in future generations. Hopefully those future generations will have that peace.

word.

DaveC said:
to your mother.

So what you're saying is that you're from the streets? :shifty:

Yeah a great translation of that video. I would probably rank it as one of the top 3 U2 videos ever.

good topic

first, i'd like to say that this is on top of my list of videos, and songs...

ok, i agree with you, daisy, but i also thought it had something to do with compromise and sacrifice. when the man on his knees comes back from work, he can stand only once his wife falls on her knees. this compromise allows them peace. also, the only way for everyone else to get off their knees is when the old man falls to his. i always saw the old man as a sort of christ figure. when he surrenders to his knees, the world can walk. but they misuse this sacrifice in order to promote violence and hatred. the world is full of people unwilling to compromise. if they could just love one another with the truest love, the world could be happy again. this true love isn't romantic, or even love for family or friends. it is the love that makes us have common decency for our fellow human being. "so love is big, is bigger than us. but love is not what we're thinking of." when the christ figure floats off, and leaves the world to itself, the little girl picks up the sign. to me, this is stating that the mess we have created may and will be the mess of our children and our children's children. they don't understand why we hate so much. it is a sense of hope. the whole time, she is standing. it's like she knows the love. she listened when he said "please, get up off your knees" and she has done just that.

this song evokes strong emotions in me...heh...if you couldn't tell...

Hi Laura :wave:

Stories for Boys said:
first, i'd like to say that this is on top of my list of videos, and songs...

when the man on his knees comes back from work, he can stand only once his wife falls on her knees. this compromise allows them peace.

Really? I had a completely different take on that part....The man is on his knees and "humble" until he gets home to his wife. The wife is dressed as the stereotypical 50's housewife complete with curlers and dinner ready for her man. He then gets up off his knees and stands over his wife and pats her head. To me that gesture was his showing some kind of superiority or dominance over her. She seems completely content to allow him to have dominance over her. Of course that makes the little feminist in my head scream out, lol. I saw it as part of the hyprocrasy, where to the outside world he's this humble guy, but when he gets home, he's a different person, he stands and keeps her down. He is no different than the people throwing rocks...instead of using physical violence, he's using psychological violence.

hey there daisy :wave:

daisybean said:

Really? I had a completely different take on that part....The man is on his knees and "humble" until he gets home to his wife. The wife is dressed as the stereotypical 50's housewife complete with curlers and dinner ready for her man. He then gets up off his knees and stands over his wife and pats her head. To me that gesture was his showing some kind of superiority or dominance over her. She seems completely content to allow him to have dominance over her. Of course that makes the little feminist in my head scream out, lol. I saw it as part of the hyprocrasy, where to the outside world he's this humble guy, but when he gets home, he's a different person, he stands and keeps her down. He is no different than the people throwing rocks...instead of using physical violence, he's using psychological violence.

you know, that really does make a lot of sense. that part always made me a bit uneasy...like i should be glad that they are content, but it's so wrong...i just watched the best of dvd where anton talks about the video...where bono cries...that song just makes me want to weep for the world and the hate and the stubborn attitude that so many people hold. very powerful :(

Back
Top Bottom