Please singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have a question about the Please singles. I bought a single with the 4 faces on it last fall, the tracks being..

Please (Single mix)
Please (Live from Rotterdam)
Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from Rotterdam)
With or Without You (Live from Edmonton)
Staring at the Sun (Live from Rotterdam)

But in my U2 Encyclopedia and some other sources, they say the Please single that had those tracks was the Popheart EP.

However, they say the other Please singles had..

Please (Single mix, slightly edited)
Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss mix)
Dirty Day (Junk Day mix)
I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)

So.. my question is, why is this messed up? Are the sources wrong or do I have some kind of weird CD? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

It looks to me (not 100% though because I'm at work and don't have the Popheart infront of me) that you got yourself the Popheart EP. Because it has the live tracks you mentioned above.

The cover of the EP has the heart shown on the screen at the end of One from a Popmart show, so it's the wrong cover you got.

Confusing, indeed! Does it say on the cd that it's the Please single or maybe they took the wrong cd in the store. It has happened to me. Otherwise you are an owner of a very rare item, me thinks.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

but the popheart ep doesn't have the please single mix, it is simply the four live songs.

weird.

I also have the single with the four faces and the songs you mention.

I get the feeling the U2 encyclopedia is probably wrong.

The Popheart EP is an import which was not sold in the good ole USA (but you could still get it if you knew the right stores). The one with the faces (various ireland public heads) was sold in the U.S.

The Please single with the remixes of "dirty day" is also an import.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

It seems like it was two versions released of the Popheart EP. One with the Single version and one without. And it does say that the one with the Single version was released in US.
This is where I found this information: http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/14.html

The same info is to find on other sites too.

And according to u2.com the Please single had the other tracks mentioned so the Encyclopedia is right.
smile.gif

But don't ask what version it is you got. That still sounds confusing to me. I guess an import from somewhere. Or maybe it is the version of the EP mentioned on several sites was released in the US, but just as under the name as another version of the Please single. (according to what Zoocifer said about the EP not being released in US)
That solution sounds ok, doesn't it?

when it was first released, there was 2 Please singles, one with the four faces, that has the following tracks:
Please (Single mix)
Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss mix)
Dirty Day (Junk Day mix)
I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)

and also The Popheart Live with the following:
Please (Live from Rotterdam)
Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from Rotterdam)
With or Without You (Live from Edmonton)
Staring at the Sun (Live from Rotterdam)

After that they released another vertion of the single that is the one you have now, the single version of please and the popheart live, now is a bit hard to get the first 2 released singles, but I think is possible.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 03-31-2002).]

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I have a question about the Please singles. I bought a single with the 4 faces on it last fall, the tracks being..
But in my U2 Encyclopedia and some other sources, they say the Please single that had those tracks was the Popheart EP.

However, they say the other Please singles had..
So.. my question is, why is this messed up? Are the sources wrong or do I have some kind of weird CD? Any help is appreciated.

The single you bought is the regular US CD single for Please (back in those days actual singles were released by Island). The other singles you mention as stated in the U2 Encyclopedia are the standard non-US singles. The reason the encyclopia isn't listing your single (and those who have the encyclopedia please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have the encyclopedia) is that the U2 Encyclopedia is a British book, so releases are listed according to the British tracklistings, etc.

To summarize, no, you don't have any weird version of Please, just the regular US release (and there was only 1 US Please single as those other tracks (Dirty Day remixes, etc.) weren't released in the USA).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Thanks for the info
smile.gif
Much appreciated -- it's been something that I've been trying to figure out for months.
tongue.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Back
Top Bottom