Please respond to this ignorant attack on U2! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: orange, ca, usa
Posts: 132
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Please respond to this ignorant attack on U2!

Do you hate Irish bands? Me2

By Riki Hayashi

This article has been removed after I got the following email:

-----Original Message-----
From: Karli Kane [mailto:editor@californiaaggie.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 6:50 PM
To: u2feedback@interference.com
Subject: copyright infringement


To whom it may concern:

My name is Karli Kane and I am the editor in chief of The California
Aggie, the UC Davis newspaper. It has recently come to my attention that
your website, interference.com, has illegally posted a column from The
California Aggie website. The column to which I am referring is by Riki
Hayashi and is titled "Do you hate Irish bands? Me2." No one asked
permission to post the column and I have not relinquished the rights to
publish the column to anyone associated with interference.com. The column
needs to be removed from the website immediately.
If I do not receive a reply and the appropriate action within ten days,
I will be forced to pursue the matter through the appropriate legal
channels.

Sincerely,
Karli Kane



Please feel free to share your opinions on this article with Karli editor@californiaaggie.com

lol.


[This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 02-14-2002).]
__________________

ocu2fan is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
MacPhisto's serving wench
 
The_Sweetest_Thing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Inside a bubble
Posts: 3,773
Local Time: 04:15 PM
Aw, shit. I don't even think debating this woild be worth the efoort or energy I could pu into it. The guy's a blatent idiot. Bono's been supporting Drop the Debt since waaaaay before Sept. 11. and....grrrr! I'm too anygry to post anymore!
__________________

The_Sweetest_Thing is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
Refugee
 
Foxxern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,284
Local Time: 03:15 PM
I would send him one for sure if I had more time. Maybe a few of our more skilled writers can take care of this fellow. I'm not sure what he has against U2 exactly. Maybe he's just one of those guys who is pissed off at everything, I don't know.
Foxxern is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:15 PM
well I don't normally do this because I find most of these articles to be rather benign, simply an individual who for whatever reason dispises U2 is given a soapbox on which to express his dislike. unfortunately this piece of writing goes a little beyond that with the glaring ommissions which I'm sure everyone here has already picked out. i didn't even cover them all however i did send the author this:
Good afternoon Mr. Hayashi,

I have just finished reading your review of the Super Bowl performances of Paul McCartney and U2 and I have some points to raise with you regarding the Irish headliners of the halftime show. Though I respect the fact that you dislike the band and their performance you have made some factual errors regarding the band and I, being a student of journalism myself, thought I would take care to alert you. Otherwise I would not be doing this if only for the fact that I’m sure your inbox is filling up with angry U2 loving emails(you’re piece has been posted on the largest U2 forum on the web, www.interference.com).

“U2 just dragged out the same tired songs “Beautiful Day” and “Where the Streets Have no Name.”

U2 have just two months ago wrapped up a tour that took them twice through the U.S. and Canada and once across Europe and the U.K. They have made many television appearances in an effort to publicize their latest album and tour. This has left them little time to record new material. They are in the studio at the moment as I understand it however the chances of them bringing out something brand new are unlikely given the level of attention levelled on the superbowl.

“Since Sept. 11, he’s been on some kind of personal crusade to help African countries from becoming destitute. He has multiple charities set up and he even met with the leaders of some of those countries. He is a musician, folks, not a politician”

First of all the charity Bono is most heavily involved in, and what you refer to, is Drop The Debt. Drop The Debt has been around since 2000 and even then was a renamed version of Jubilee 2000. Bono has been heavily involved in this since 1999 to my knowledge, this is nothing new. Bono has met with the leaders of a lot of countries, not just African. Probably the only missing at the moment is Bush, however he did receive support for his cause from Powell and Sen. Helms. Bono joined forces with Harvard economist Jeffrey Sachs, who, the story goes, taught him the ins and outs of the economics of developing nations. Having met Bono I can assure you he is quick on his toes and very knowledgeable on a wide array of subjects. In a sense, then, Bono is Harvard educated within this issue of the economies of developing nations.
You are right in that Bono is simply a musician but tell me, what harm is he doing? He is trying to help. He has come out and publicly said, in spite of his education on the subject, that he is not the brains behind the force that is this movement, he sees himself merely as a figurehead, the public voice-he is helping with what is a very real problem, as any student of economics, also such as myself, understands.

“It’s interesting to note that, among all of the charity groups that U2 supports, there isn’t a single one that gives money to the victims of IRA terrorist attacks. What’s up with that, Bonehead?”

Well I am unable to tell you whether or not what you state is the truth, (if you care to could you tell me on what it is you based this statement?), I can reassure you that the band is active in the anti-IRA movement. As for the victims of IRA attacks, I can tell you that the band played a benefit concert in I believe ’98 alongside Ash following the an IRA attack of which the victimized cities name escapes me right now.
I suggest that the next time you produce an article you do so with greater care. I apologize for the length of this email, however, I felt these were some fairly obvious and easy to uncover, yet gaping factual errors.

Best regards,
Dave May
Carleton University
Ottawa Ontario.


man i could have spent the last 10 minutes working on an essay proposal, oh well what is done is most definetely done.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:26 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
bono-vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Posts: 3,436
Local Time: 07:15 AM
Us irish ppl are all lovely

Bonehead- "affectionate nickname for Bono" har de har har...real mature and witty nickname

"Actually I think 13 percent of the song is not crap. "- how does he work that out 13%

"Ah, then at halftime came U2. I know a lot of people really like U2 and think that they are the greatest thing to come out of that island since Guinness"- what total crap lots of good things have come from here

"Then Bonehead did that cheesy thing where he held his hand up to the camera and let go as the camera took off into the wild blue yonder. " *snigger snigger* that is actually true

victims of IRA terrorist attacks. - has he forgotten they have been on cease fire since 1994?

I cant belive this even got in a newspaper!
bono-vox is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:29 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
bono-vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Posts: 3,436
Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
well I don't normally do this because I find most of these articles to be rather benign, simply an individual who for whatever reason dispises U2 is given a soapbox on which to express his dislike. unfortunately this piece of writing goes a little beyond that with the glaring ommissions which I'm sure everyone here has already picked out. i didn't even cover them all however i did send the author this:
Good afternoon Mr. Hayashi,

I have just finished reading your review of the Super Bowl performances of Paul McCartney and U2 and I have some points to raise with you regarding the Irish headliners of the halftime show. Though I respect the fact that you dislike the band and their performance you have made some factual errors regarding the band and I, being a student of journalism myself, thought I would take care to alert you. Otherwise I would not be doing this if only for the fact that I’m sure your inbox is filling up with angry U2 loving emails(you’re piece has been posted on the largest U2 forum on the web, www.interference.com).

“U2 just dragged out the same tired songs “Beautiful Day” and “Where the Streets Have no Name.”

U2 have just two months ago wrapped up a tour that took them twice through the U.S. and Canada and once across Europe and the U.K. They have made many television appearances in an effort to publicize their latest album and tour. This has left them little time to record new material. They are in the studio at the moment as I understand it however the chances of them bringing out something brand new are unlikely given the level of attention levelled on the superbowl.

“Since Sept. 11, he’s been on some kind of personal crusade to help African countries from becoming destitute. He has multiple charities set up and he even met with the leaders of some of those countries. He is a musician, folks, not a politician”

First of all the charity Bono is most heavily involved in, and what you refer to, is Drop The Debt. Drop The Debt has been around since 2000 and even then was a renamed version of Jubilee 2000. Bono has been heavily involved in this since 1999 to my knowledge, this is nothing new. Bono has met with the leaders of a lot of countries, not just African. Probably the only missing at the moment is Bush, however he did receive support for his cause from Powell and Sen. Helms. Bono joined forces with Harvard economist Jeffrey Sachs, who, the story goes, taught him the ins and outs of the economics of developing nations. Having met Bono I can assure you he is quick on his toes and very knowledgeable on a wide array of subjects. In a sense, then, Bono is Harvard educated within this issue of the economies of developing nations.
You are right in that Bono is simply a musician but tell me, what harm is he doing? He is trying to help. He has come out and publicly said, in spite of his education on the subject, that he is not the brains behind the force that is this movement, he sees himself merely as a figurehead, the public voice-he is helping with what is a very real problem, as any student of economics, also such as myself, understands.

“It’s interesting to note that, among all of the charity groups that U2 supports, there isn’t a single one that gives money to the victims of IRA terrorist attacks. What’s up with that, Bonehead?”

Well I am unable to tell you whether or not what you state is the truth, (if you care to could you tell me on what it is you based this statement?), I can reassure you that the band is active in the anti-IRA movement. As for the victims of IRA attacks, I can tell you that the band played a benefit concert in I believe ’98 alongside Ash following the an IRA attack of which the victimized cities name escapes me right now.
I suggest that the next time you produce an article you do so with greater care. I apologize for the length of this email, however, I felt these were some fairly obvious and easy to uncover, yet gaping factual errors.

Best regards,
Dave May
Carleton University
Ottawa Ontario.


man i could have spent the last 10 minutes working on an essay proposal, oh well what is done is most definetely done.
go kobayashi go kobayashi go kobayashi
bono-vox is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 04:15 PM
kobesan, that was perrrrfect. Precisely what I would have written, but much better.
sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:45 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
elevatedmole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: On a backwards river
Posts: 3,546
Local Time: 04:15 PM
What a moron.



People, especially Kobayashi, have already stated what I feel.. so I'm not gonna bother. Great job. What newspaper was it in?

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video
elevatedmole is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #9
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:15 PM
GREAT letter Koby,
I thought however that Bonehead-um I mean Bono actually did meet with Bush. Maybe it was on a different issue, but I'm sure he met with him last summer.

And for my essay to this dickhead, I will probably just send him an email copy of that time I sat on the xerox machine, pants down
z edge is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 11:01 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 01:15 PM
I would seriously urge anyone to email the editor (email above). People are entitled to their opinion, but this article is trash.

ADDED:

original article: http://www.californiaaggie.com/_articles/2489.taf

authors email: japjedi@hotmail.com


------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

[This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 02-14-2002).]
Elvis is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 11:05 PM   #11
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Official Las Vegas U2 pimp has spoken!

------------------
"when hippos drove the big cars"

Ze69
<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh*Oh*Oh-Johnny was a poor man*
*************************
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
z edge is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 11:07 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
I thought however that Bonehead-um I mean Bono actually did meet with Bush. Maybe it was on a different issue, but I'm sure he met with him last summer.
did he really? i was under the impression that bush hadn't met him, for whatever reason.



------------------
don't.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #13
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 2,551
Local Time: 02:15 PM
That e-mail from Karli Kane is absolutely laughable.
pub crawler is offline  
Old 02-14-2002, 11:52 PM   #14
The Fly
 
salomeU2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dallas
Posts: 285
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Quote:
“It’s interesting to note that, among all of the charity groups that U2 supports, there isn’t a single one that gives money to the victims of IRA terrorist attacks. What’s up with that, Bonehead?” -Riki
Hayashi


Had this idiot done their research, he/she would have known about Omagh, Northern Ireland on August 15,1998. When the IRA called in the Gardi(police) to have them move people from the square into the market area because there was a bomb. In reality the bomb was in the market area. When the bomb exploded, it killed 29 people and injured hundreds more. One young boy,Sean McLaughlin age 12 - died in that bombing. Prior to his untimely death, he had written a poem about his view on peace in Northern Ireland. This poem so moved many people including Bono/U2 it inspired them to get other Irish musicians to contribute songs and make an album "Across the Bridge of Hope" which was also the title of the boys poem. All proceeds of this album were given to the victims families.

Please go and educate yourself http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/omagh/bomb/bomb.html

Not to mention the other fact that U2/Bono played a factor in trying to sway the people of Northern Ireland to pay attention to the "YES Vote". All in the name of peace.

-Liza


http://home.attbi.com/~lizawar/peacemovie.htm

------------------
...and may your dreams be realized...

[This message has been edited by salome999 (edited 02-14-2002).]
salomeU2000 is offline  
Old 02-15-2002, 12:26 AM   #15
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
did he really? i was under the impression that bush hadn't met him, for whatever reason.

Koby, I am pretty sure that they met. I remember posting something in a GW bashing thread last summer in this forum about "President Bush will suprise us" or something like that. Anyway, not very long after that, Bono said the exact same thing and he supposedly had met with GW. Of course, I speculated that he was copying me because he had a similair statement to me about another matter during the same time frame. So of course I wanted to take the flattery that the smartest guy in the music industry and the best singer in the F%$#@*& world was listening to z-edge. Plus, there was a news article popsted about it if I remember correctly.
z edge is offline  
Old 02-15-2002, 02:03 AM   #16
Acrobat
 
S|aney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Oprah's kitchen
Posts: 341
Local Time: 01:15 PM
Have you ever noticed that the people that do absolutlely nothing with their lives are the ones that are the most critical?

What the F$%k are all these great things that Riki Hayashi has done with his time and money? Did you notice that he didn't disclose that information? That's because he's too busy talking smack to do anything meaningful in life.

The bottom line is this. People feel very guilty when they see someone like Bono and U2 giving and contributing their money and time to a cause that can make our world a better place. That guilt does one of two things. One uses it to donate whatever they can to the cause or they do absolutely nothing. Which usually turns into jealousy and bitterness. Which is then unjustly inflicted on someone like Bono.

Well, Riki Hayashi, it's not Bono's fault that you REFUSE to join the effort and help make this planet a better and more tolerable home for all of us. People like Riki Hayashi are the reason why the African people continue to live in such miserable, inhumane conditions.

Jesus and Dr. Martin Luther King were criticized in the same manner. So, as you can clearly see, Bono is on the right track... As we all knew already

------------------
-------------------------

www.LP.org

[This message has been edited by S|aney (edited 02-14-2002).]
S|aney is offline  
Old 02-15-2002, 02:24 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,430
Local Time: 02:15 PM
I never heard Bono talk like he is God's gift to the world. I only heard a man talk about what could be done to help this world. A man who puts his fame behind him, or even use it to further a cause he believes in.

How ya like that Mr "My whole life's purpose is to cut other people down" Crap Opinion Man.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
david is offline  
Old 02-15-2002, 01:09 PM   #18
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wales
Posts: 56
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Guys IGNORE THEM ITS WHAT THEY WANT 4 US 2 GET ANNOYED

------------------
Blood Group...U2 POSITIVE
welshigirl is offline  
Old 02-15-2002, 01:28 PM   #19
Refugee
 
Foxxern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,284
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by welshigirl:
Guys IGNORE THEM ITS WHAT THEY WANT 4 US 2 GET ANNOYED
But its much more fun to reply with an educated rebuttal to make him feel like a worthless ass.



------------------
Change is the only constant
Foxxern is offline  
Old 02-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by welshigirl:
Guys IGNORE THEM ITS WHAT THEY WANT 4 US 2 GET ANNOYED

i replied in the context of journalistic errors, and not minor ones either. i could really care less if he doesn't like the band. i feel i expressed that to him.

------------------
don't.
__________________

kobayashi is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh my goodyness, have u ladies seen these shots? mad1 PLEBA Archive 21 05-07-2002 01:45 PM
Attack of the U2 Clones CatDubh PLEBA Archive 28 05-07-2002 06:14 AM
I need some happy U2 lovin' Mrs.Clayton PLEBA Archive 10 04-13-2002 01:55 PM
non U2 fans praising U2... nice. foray Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 7 02-13-2002 11:46 AM
About knowing each other, U2 fan code MissZooropa PLEBA Archive 2 11-01-2001 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×