Please read Important: Your Opinion On U2's New Studio.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanover

The Fly
Please read Important: Your Opinion On U2's New Sudio.

Many U2 Fans have travelled incredible distances to locate and view the studio that U2 have recorded their material in: Most have made it to Hanover Quay Studios and although a trifle dismayed at what they found, nonetheless, were content, for numerous reasons.

1: The Studio was accessible.
2: There was every possibility of meeting one of the Band members.
3: There was no security barrier to breach.

The new studio, which was designed by Burdon Dunne Architects/Craig Henry Architects of Blackrock, Co. Dublin is controversial, at least to the fans I've spoken with.

1: There is going to be a private underground carpark for U2 and their entourage.
2: A private lift will transport U2 to their studio, which shall be located on the top two stories.
3: Security will definitely be present.
4: Access to meeting any of the Band shall not be as feasible as before.

What are your opinions. Please vote.

Survey - Click here

I apologise for not including a poll, so you can view the results for yourself. But I shall post the replies just as soon as they are counted.

Thanks.

to be honest, when i write music, i want no one around me! it's just a distraction.

so i don't blame them one bit. if anything it will make their music better.

The fact that U2 fans could get close to the old studio and have access to the band was a bonus usually not afforded the average music fan, however, the band doesn't OWE us that privilege.

If they choose to make their new studio less accessible and more private, that is their prerogative.

I don't understand spending major bucks on a trip to Ireland on the slim hope of meeting U2 at their studio anyway. If I was there, of course I would try and see all the U2 sights and places I could but I wouldn't plan my entire trip on trying to meet the band at the studio

Re: Please read Important: Your Opinion On U2's New Sudio.

Hanover said:
1: There is going to be a private underground carpark for U2 and their entourage.
2: A private lift will transport U2 to their studio, which shall be located on the top two stories.

1. lots of places have underground car parks
2. good idea since people always try and find them near elevators
3. nothing new there
4. that's fine, if that's what they want. It's their studio, their work environment. There are plenty of other oportunities to meet them besides loitering outside the studio.

Re: Please read Important: Your Opinion On U2's New Sudio.

Hanover said:

1. Good. Their vehicles will be protected.

2. Good. They should be entitled to their privacy.

3. Good. It will bring a nice level of safety to their work environment.

4. That may be a bummer to some, but I think it is good that they are taking more security precautions. There are a lot of nuts out there.

Bad nuts, I mean. :D

Not all fans are sane, I'm sure there are potential Mark Chapman types in the U2 fan fraternity, so added security is surely U2s rite.
However demolishing HQ is unwise, Dublins councillors and planners are making a mistake, I don't think London would get rid of Abbey Rd, even with Ken Livingstone running the city.

Count me in for Who cares...When I visited the studio, I just thought it would be bonus if I bumped into anyone; I didn't think it would happen (it didn't; I don't have that kind of luck!).

I do think it's a good idea to take precautions; there ARE a lot of nuts out there and Bono has been threatened.

Phew, I'm somewhat astonished by your opinions, although each and every one bears accuracy I do believe that U2 had no desire to leave Hanover Quay and furthermore the aforementioned criteria applying to the new tower recording studio has nothing whatsoever to protect U2 from potential 'nutters' but is in fact stipulated as one of the concepts in the design of the building.

Perhaps this quote from BONO may clarify how he personally feels:

"One of the things I'm going to personally miss is where we are right now, we're right on the water and the Grand Canal Dock is very still. And I can tell you, things get very rough when U2 make a record, there's a lot of passion and a lot of disputes. And just the energy of making a record is such that we really appreciate the stillness of the Grand Canal Dock. I don't really want to be at the top of the building and stuck inside."

U2 have never felt threatened in Dublin...that's not the issue. The issue is where U2 will record. For many, it may mean nothing, what's a studio...but U2's affinity and companioship with their fans has always been something they pride themselves on. Read Devlin Smiths story on 'Finding Hanover' and MrsAdamClaytons story of her visit to Hanover Quay studios:

MrsAdamClayton - Hanover Quay and Devlin's 'Finding Hanover*

If you are still convinced that the new studio location is going to benefit U2 then by all means keep voting to that effect, but imagine those that come to this city and journey to the old studio on Hanover Quay, the expectation and excitment building in them, will U2 be there...these are indeed magical momemts and as you'd have to walk down pearse street or sir john rogerson's quay just to know to experience that feeling...go to 'Band Meetings And Sightings...you'll find many more stories like the two I've hyperlinked...finally, I'll leave Bono habe the last word..."It is hard to quantify the value of that studio (Hanover) and its setting in Grand Canal Dock...whatever they offer us it is not enough".

Keep voting...I'm very interested in all your reactions and opinions.

Is ignorance and apathy two of the world's biggest problem? I dont know and I dont care - Anonymous

It doesnt bother me either way bc I hope to someday meet the band but I would never go and hang out around their studio in hopes to meet them bc honestly I dont have time nor the patience do do that.

Bono's American Wife said:
The fact that U2 fans could get close to the old studio and have access to the band was a bonus usually not afforded the average music fan, however, the band doesn't OWE us that privilege.

If they choose to make their new studio less accessible and more private, that is their prerogative.

I don't understand spending major bucks on a trip to Ireland on the slim hope of meeting U2 at their studio anyway. If I was there, of course I would try and see all the U2 sights and places I could but I wouldn't plan my entire trip on trying to meet the band at the studio

Well said, Char.

ishkash said:
Is ignorance and apathy two of the world's biggest problem? I dont know and I dont care - Anonymous
Anonymous always has been my favourite writer

I'm sure the band would've liked to stay where they are on Hanover Quay, but even rich famous rock gods are not immune to city commissioned development. Their new place looks amazing and in time, they'll get over it. My only worry is that this whole issue takes time and focus away from the new album.....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm sure the band would've liked to stay where they are on Hanover Quay, but even rich famous rock gods are not immune to city commissioned development. Their new place looks amazing and in time, they'll get over it. My only worry is that this whole issue takes time and focus away from the new album.....

I read somewhere that the development doesn't start until U2 has finished recording their new album, so I doubt it takes time and focus away from the new album. Then again, the band may take any excuse to get away from recording... :mac:

And as for the studio, I also don't care that much. Sure, it's too bad for U2 they have to leave this studio. But Hanover Quay is no Abbey Road, it doesn't have the same historical significance to it. What has U2 recorded there (in HQ)? According to the booklets they're certainly using it since the Passengers record, but before that? There's nothing in the Zooropa booklet pointing to HQ and maybe parts of Achtung Baby were recorded there (if Dog Town is the early name for that studio).

So for me the studio will just be another one in a long line of studios U2 have used: Windmill Lane, STS, The Factory, Dog Town, HQ, Danesmoate (not to forget Eze (France), Hansa (Germany), South Beach, Sun, A&M (USA), Westland (UK), etc.)

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom