Please rank the different versions of 'Pop' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
I still can't quite my head around which I prefer of the various versions of the 'Pop' songs and singles. The songs involving noticeably different versions are:

Discotheque
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Please

If I've got it right, it's basically like this (not counting obscure-remixes, live versions, and so forth):

Discotheque --- (1) Original 'Pop' LP version / single version(slightly abbreviated from LP version; otherwise seems to be the same?) ; (2) 'Best Of' remix/reworking

If God Will Send His Angels --- (1) Original 'Pop' LP version ; (2) Single version (re-recorded)

Staring At The Sun --- (1) Original 'Pop' LP version ; (2) Single version (not re-recorded, but noticeably different from LP version) ; (3) 'Best Of' remix/reworking

Last Night On Earth --- (1) Original 'Pop' LP version ; (2) Single version (re-recorded) ; (3) 'Best Of' reworking

Gone --- (1) Original 'Pop' LP version ; (2) 'Best Of' reworking/re-recording

Please --- (1) Original 'Pop' LP version ; (2) Single version (re-recorded)

OK, did I get that right? I'm really curious which of each version y'all prefer, and why, if you can articulate it.

For me, it seems to be (having not reached a final opinion):

Discotheque --- the original LP version (I don't care for the vocals on the 'Best Of' take)

If God Will Send His Angels --- The single version is WAY better than the LP, noticeably in arrangement and composition

Staring At The Sun --- the original LP version

Last Night On Earth --- I prefer Bono's scratchy, desperate vocal on the original LP version (I despise the remake on the 'Best Of')

Gone --- this one I can't decide, but something about the lovely bridge is less convincing on the 'Best Of' (although I think the guitar sounds better on it)

Please --- the single is so much better than the original that I can't even listen to this track on the LP anymore! (Why the f*** wasn't this song on the 'Best Of' compilation, since, after 'One', it's probably their greatest song of the 90s?)

Discotheque - Best of mix. Keep the techno outside and bring the riff in the front where it belongs, and loose the Boom Cha's.

If god will send his angels - I'm not a big fan of the song, the single for the more defined ending.

Staring at the sun - there is a single version ? The album version, out of these you mention, otherwise live is the definite version.

LNOE - there was no Best of reworking. Album version, I prefer the original bridge to the "could you believe in something?" single bridge.

Gone - Best of. I like both versions but it just has that extra punch.

Please - I like both versions but if there is one U2 song that improved as a single, it's this one.

Add the If you wear that velvet dress - album version/Bono solo version. I prefer the music on the album, and the vocals on the solo version.

Only the Best Of and album mixes are fresh in my mind, so I'll stick with them.

Discotheque
1. Album version
2. Best Of version
Neither are very good but the album version is clearly superior. This is one of the weakest Pop tracks in the studio; it only comes alive and becomes awesome in the concert setting. The Popmart version in particular is droolworthy.

SATS
1. Album version
2. Best Of version
Both dull. The only SATS I care for is the live electric version. Sure, it was a shambles, but it's the only time Edge's guitar sound gets my attention.

Gone
1. Best Of version
100. Album version
I'm a fan of U2 today because of the Best Of version. It fucking slays the album version in every way. Crisper sound, especially on the wailing guitar; better lyrics; better vocals; better sonic depth.

Pop is all about the live versions. This ranking really doesn't address that.

phillyfan26 said:
Pop is all about the live versions. This ranking really doesn't address that.

Absolutely. Studio versions of songs like Discotheque, LNOE, and Please fade into irrelevance when you consider the greatness of the live versions.

All the remakes aside from Please are unnecessary garbage. As for the best of "new mixes", you can't come back to a feeling that far in the future and try to fix it. Too much time had passed. And Axver, while Gone might "sound" better it lost its soul in the process.

The single mixes were done close to the album's release, but I agree with U2 Girl that the bridge in the original LNOE is what puts it over the top. It's less intelligible, but so what? Of course, the live version here kills.

Angels--personally, I love the instrumental outro on the album version. There was something missing in this recording, but the single mix didn't rectify it. The drums kick in way too late, and I feel most listeners are at least subconsciously bored by that point.

Discotheque--I don't know what the hell this is supposed to be. All the fun is going. The recording was meant to be a dance/rock hybrid, why attempt to turn it into something it's not? That being said, the live version played on Vertigo was pretty damned cool (much better than the new mix), and should have been in the set list rotation.

Please--Yes, the instrumental breakdown is better/funkier on the single mix. But there is something present on the original version that this lacks. I'd still say the single mix is superior, but not by the overwhelming margin that everyone feels.

Staring at the Sun--Who cares, the most generic and uninteresting song on the album. The acoustic live version with Bono's spanish guitar playing was pretty nice though.

Gone--I can't even talk about this. It's immoral what they did to this masterpiece.

Gone- love the rocker mix on the Best Of, especially the intro repeat after the bridge

Staring at the Sun- don't like the Best Of version except for the wah wahs in the second verse

Discotheque- The Best of Version is much more rockerish and I like the main riff after the first verse

Please- THE INSTRUMENTALS IN THE VIDEO VERSION...ABSOLOUTELY AMAZINGINGLY POWERFUL

whats this new mix version of Last Night on Earth? and whats the difference between the album and video version of Staring at the Sun?

lazarus said:
All the remakes aside from Please are unnecessary garbage. As for the best of "new mixes", you can't come back to a feeling that far in the future and try to fix it. Too much time had passed. And Axver, while Gone might "sound" better it lost its soul in the process.

The single mixes were done close to the album's release, but I agree with U2 Girl that the bridge in the original LNOE is what puts it over the top. It's less intelligible, but so what? Of course, the live version here kills.

Angels--personally, I love the instrumental outro on the album version. There was something missing in this recording, but the single mix didn't rectify it. The drums kick in way too late, and I feel most listeners are at least subconsciously bored by that point.

Discotheque--I don't know what the hell this is supposed to be. All the fun is going. The recording was meant to be a dance/rock hybrid, why attempt to turn it into something it's not? That being said, the live version played on Vertigo was pretty damned cool (much better than the new mix), and should have been in the set list rotation.

Please--Yes, the instrumental breakdown is better/funkier on the single mix. But there is something present on the original version that this lacks. I'd still say the single mix is superior, but not by the overwhelming margin that everyone feels.

Staring at the Sun--Who cares, the most generic and uninteresting song on the album. The acoustic live version with Bono's spanish guitar playing was pretty nice though.

Gone--I can't even talk about this. It's immoral what they did to this masterpiece.

I think this is the post I most agree with.

That said, I'd like to add a few things. LNOE single/video version has a better outro where you can really hear the bass way up in front. Discotheque Vertigo tour version lacked boomchas and hence phails IMO. I do like both the SATS album version and live acoustic a lot! Agreed on Gone. The album version is untouchable. That screaming guitar, that atmosphere of loneliness beautifully captured during the bridge puts it eons ahead of any other version!

lazarus said:
And Axver, while Gone might "sound" better it lost its soul in the process.

I disagree. I think it found its innermost soul. It was a very good rock song on Pop, but on the Best Of, it's a masterpiece. The inferior Pop mix stifles it just enough that it doesn't hit its maximum peak, either sonically or in impact on the listener (but perhaps that's just subjective experience talking).

Great idea for a thread- I've never spent tons of time thinking about these, consciously at least,

However I'll run down my views after reading this and thinking on it a bit:

Discothèque - I like both versions (Pop and Best Of) for experimentations sake, I like the fact that they put electronica as the lead off on an album, not sure we'll ever see that again.. the Best of version brings it more in line with the rest of their catalogue..

IGWSHAngels- not sure I've heard the single version, and there's no Best Of version...

Staring at the Sun - don't see a huge difference, Edge's backing vocals on the Best of mix are a little distracting (first time I remember ever thinking that... and I agree some of the soul is lost on this later version)

Last Night on Earth - again, not familiar with the single version, and there's no Best of reworking...

Gone - Love the Best Of reworking- more powerful, Edge's added vocals amplify the mood incredibly - don't think it loses it's soul at all- much the opposite- the band seem to treasure this song in the years since Pop//Popmart- playing it live a lot on Elevation and Vertigo tours- you can tell they like it and planned to carry it forward by the relative attention that went into the Best Of reworking...

Please - i only own the LP version.. is the single version the same as what's in the video? I do love that version, better than the album version... the outro is incredible!!

If anyone cares to send the Pop single versions, especially the Please single Mp3, I'd be very grateful.. I have some Live Mp3s and the extra tracks from Complete U2 that I'd be happy to swap, also the live performance of The Wanderer from the Johnny Cash tribute... and some random others.. ;-)

Axver said:

I disagree. I think it found its innermost soul. It was a very good rock song on Pop, but on the Best Of, it's a masterpiece. The inferior Pop mix stifles it just enough that it doesn't hit its maximum peak, either sonically or in impact on the listener (but perhaps that's just subjective experience talking).

agree 100%!!!

:up:

Discotheque - Sometimes I think the album version is too busy, so for the arrangement I like I like the best of version more. However, the song is not the same without the Boom-chas. However, with that being said, my favorite is neither: the live version.

If God Will Send His Angels - I'm not too familiar with the single version, so I dunno on this one

Staring at the Sun - The best of by far is better in my opinion. The mix sounds a lot more richer.

Last Night On Earth - Single version. The vocals are better I think.

Gone - Best of. Period. That is one of my favorite U2 songs of all time. I know I am going to get flack on this thread for this, but I also like the Elevation version more than the PopMart one.

Please - The single version is better

SATS = Pop... the Best Of remix was a heresy... HERESY I tell you :madwife:

anyway... all the songs that you talk about suck compared to MOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Discotheque - Best of Version, but I miss the boom-cha's!

IGWSHA - Single Mix.

SATS - Best of, just by a bit. Edge's background vocals remind me of the live per4mances.

LNOE - Single Version.

Gone - Best of Version.

Please - SINGLE VERSION!!!!!!

To be honest, I think I like all the different versions. But when forced to choose...

Discotheque - Best Of version (I like the "boom-cha"s, but I think they get to be a little annoying and overly camp after a while.)

If God Will Send His Angels - single version (This one is just about a tie, but I guess I like the extra bit of polishing on the single version.)

Staring At The Sun - Pop version (The Best Of version is nice, but I think it lacks some of the soul and emotion of the original. Plus, I don't like the ending of the Best Of version.)

Last Night On Earth - single version (Same reason as IGWSHA.)

Gone - Pop version (I love this song so much that any version will do, but the original seems so much grittier and more hard-hitting to me.)

Please - single version (The original is obviously good, but this takes it to another level. Biggest improvement of any single version that U2 have ever done.)

Last edited:
did anyone else love the Vertigo version of Discotheque? when they played it in chicago, larry added this insanely awesome syncopated beat during the quiet parts. and the rest was pretty rocking. amazing.

The single version of IGWSHA is a joke. It sounds chopped up and neutered. The creepiness, soul, and atmosphere of the song was completely sucked out of it.

Please's single version is OK...I like the guitar solo, but there are other nagging things that keep it down for me.

I don't even think I've heard the single version of LNOE, so I won't address that.

The best of mix of Discotheque is pretty lousy...nothing good came of it. SATS is about the same, but not improved, while the new version of Gone is just different. I like it, but I'm not so sure that it's a large improvement on the original.

tuwie said:
did anyone else love the Vertigo version of Discotheque? when they played it in chicago, larry added this insanely awesome syncopated beat during the quiet parts. and the rest was pretty rocking. amazing.

Yeah, Vertigo Discotheque is pretty sweet. I still prefer Popmart Discotheque though, especially when Edge went nuts on the chainsaw guitar and Bono did half a million snippets at the end.

The only live version of Discotheque that I think is inferior to the Pop version (though not the Best Of version) is the Elevation Tour version.

tuwie said:
Vertigo version is the best in my eyes.

Can't see how they could drop it so soon, the song was just rocking to hard for them i guess, it was just isane.

Discotheque - I prefer the album version. The 'Best Of' version is nice in that it pushes that great guitar riff more to the forefront of the song, but as a whole it feels like it's just too thin; almost as if the only reason they reworked it at all was to highlight the guitar riff. Actually, I really prefer the single mix with the more aggressive (no "swish-swash") intro.

Staring At The Sun - Album version by far. The 'Best Of' mix, to me, sounds like a kid did it on a macbook while just playing around with different sounds. The audio to the Scott video is wonderful, in that it's more "bright" sounding. Really that's the problem with a lot of the songs on Pop, it's a very compressed record. The songs are too restrained. A perfect example of this is...

Gone - The album version is so soft compared to the more clear, edgy (no pun intended) 'Best Of' version. If forced to choose, I would take the album version because it's more complete to me. The break in the middle with the drums and Bono's "all ALONG" bit is great. Now, if you could just add in the bass line from that same section that is in the 'Best Of' version (right before the song kicks back in in the second half) you would have the greatest 30 seconds of U2 music ever. Was the single version like that? Oh, wait... there wasn't a single version, because some jackass thought that...

Last Night On Earth - made sense as a single. Worst single selection of the decade. Album version.

If God Will Send His Angels - I do like the ending to the single version better. I never really thought about it, but whoever said that you subconsciously lose interest in this song because it takes so long to get going kind of has a point.

Please - Album version. It just feels more complete to me. Whereas with the single version, they were obviously trying to recreate what the song had become live, but you just can't harness that energy in a studio setting. Larry's Sunday Bloody Sunday drum beat is hidden and the strings are embarrassing.

Great topic, though.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Yeah, Vertigo Discotheque is pretty sweet. I still prefer Popmart Discotheque though, especially when Edge went nuts on the chainsaw guitar and Bono did half a million snippets at the end.

Agreed on both points!!!

After giving it another listen, I agree with Axver about Gone (New Mix). It's almost worth the price of 1990-2000 just to hear it. :rockon:

And IGWSHA (single version) is even worse than I remembered. I was actually getting angry listening to it, as all of my favorite parts were shamelessly cut out to meet the needs of radio listeners. :madspit: Have some balls and keep it intact, or don't release it at all. They trashed COBL in the exact same way.

my favs are

Discotheque - Original (New Mix is barely even the same song)
If God Will Send His Angels - Original (Longer - bettah)
Staring at the Sun - New Mix (Instruments sound more crisp)
Last Night on Earth - Single (louder lyrics, they aren't bold enough in the album version)
Gone - New Mix (Instruments sound more crisp)
Please - Single (much better overall)

Axver said:

100. Album version
I'm a fan of U2 today because of the Best Of version. It fucking slays the album version in every way. Crisper sound, especially on the wailing guitar; better lyrics; better vocals; better sonic depth.

Fucking oath.

I'd probably not care for Pop if i hadn't heard that Gone on the Best of.

Pop is 2nd favorite album, so I like the album versions more

Discotheque - album version, don't have improved much in the other versions

If God Will Send His Angels - can't choose, would like the album version with the ending of the single one

Staring At The Sun - album version, the Best-of version just suck

Last Night On Earth - well, both versions are pretty similar, I like the single one

Gone - album version, Bono voice in the Pop era fitted better to the song than his horrible Elevation-voice, but I like the Best of too

Please - The single version sucks. There's no emotion in the Bono's vocals, the strings and other stuff are useless. I love the album version better: true emotion and great funky bridge.

Here's my opinion :wink:

Discotheque - Album

If God Will Send - I love the extended ending of the single, but that early editing is an absolute crime. Take the album version and then the extended end off the single and you have the winner.

Staring at the Sun - Album

Last Night on Earth - I have the single, but haven't listened to it in probably years. No idea.

Gone - Album by a mile. My strongest vote of this list is for the album Gone over the Best Of Gone.

Please - Overall the album version. Yes, the Edge's guitar is better in the single, but the strings are pretty useless, sound like they've been tacked on in a rush and the overall feel of the album version is much better. It's sounds more raw and painful.

I tried to do it, but I really can't. The only song that's not way better live is Staring at the Sun.

Gone - Elevation Tour
Discotheque - Vertigo Tour
Please - PopMart Tour
LNoE - PopMart Tour

And IGWSHA sucks in all forms.

Back
Top Bottom