Please Post Your Favorite U2 Quotes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cute Irish Bono

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Everybody please post your favorite quotes for all or any U2 member. Also put down rare quotes by U2.
Here are mine, but maybe not be in the exact words.

My Favorite Bono Quote:
If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other.

My Favorite Larry Quote:
I look cool, and I am cool.

My Favorite Edge Quote:
It's a real drag if you don't like yourself, 'cos you spend a lot of time with your self

My Favorite Adam Quote:
If you believe in a cause, you must put yourself on the line for that cause.

Please post your favorite U2 Quotes!

:wink:

Cute Irish Bono said:
My Favorite Edge Quote:
It's a real drag if you don't like yourself, 'cos you spend a lot of time with your self

:laugh:...this is true. :yes:.

Originally posted by Cute Irish Bono
My Favorite Adam Quote:
If you believe in a cause, you must put yourself on the line for that cause.

I really like it when people share quotes from Adam. He always says something really interesting/sweet/thoughtful. :). Why don't I think to save more of his quotes? :scratch:.

Anywho, favorite quotes, eh? Let's see here...

Well, here's one Adam one I've saved that I like:

?I think women are the stronger sex. I don?t think it?s necessarily putting women on a pedestal, but I think it?s acknowledging that women are stronger and you need their support and companionship to help you realize your potential as a man. That's an unusual theme in rock & roll. Rock & roll is usually...[very macho]..yeah?

And as for Bono quotes:

?I would love to see a united Ireland, but I never could support a man who put a gun to somebody?s head to see that dream come true.?

?One of the greatest contradictions of rock ?n? roll is that it?s very personal, private music made on a huge public address system.?

?Everybody keeps throwing their shoes up on stage. I mean, what is this? There?s no business like shoe-business??-San Francisco, March 7th, 1985

?My strongest trait is curiosity. I?m just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts.?

?I am still amazed at how big, how enormous a love and mystery God is-and how small are the minds that attempt to corral this life force into rules and taboos, cults and sects. Mercifully, God transcends the Church.?

?All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.?

A few to kick things off with.

Angela

Last edited:
Hey, Anglea, where did you that quote from Bono, God is a love, God trancends the church? {It's something like that!}

Last edited:
Re: Re: Please Post Your Favorite U2 Quotes!

Moonlit_Angel said:

?I think women are the stronger sex. I don?t think it?s necessarily putting women on a pedestal, but I think it?s acknowledging that women are stronger and you need their support and companionship to help you realize your potential as a man. That's an unusual theme in rock & roll. Rock & roll is usually...[very macho]..yeah?

This is such an amazing quote. My god! :heart: :adam: :up:

Isn't it, though ^^^^? :). Yay, Adam!

Cute Irish Bono said:
Hey, Anglea, where did you that quote from Bono, God is a love, God trancends the church? {It's something like that!}

Katey had posted it in the "The Goal Is Soul" forum, and I liked it (there was more to it, but that was my favorite part of it). :). Where she got it from, though, I can't remember.

Angela

My favourite quote is:

"There are some people who would say that you shouldn't mix sport and politics or music and politics....I think thats kinda bullshit" Adam Clayton.

"I find solace in places I never could have imagined: the quiet sprinkling of my child's head in Baptism, a gospel choir drunk on the Holy Spirit in Memphis, or the back of a catherdral in Rome watching the first cinematographers play with light and colour in stained glass stories of the Passion. I am still amazed at how big, how enormous the love and mystery of God is -- and how small are the minds that attempt to corral this life force into rules and taboos, cults, and sects.Merciful God transcends the church" Bono

"The most powerful idea that's entered the world in the last few thousand years--the idea of grace--is the reason I would like to be a Christian. Though, as I said to [U2 guitarist] The Edge one day, I sometimes feel more like a fan, rather than actually in the band. I can't live up to it. But the reason I would like to is the idea of grace. It's really powerful."Bono

"Music can change the world because it can change people".
Bono

From bono's dad (there cute)

"The house functions better without him I think! You have no idea what he's like. He hasn't changed. He's still the same as he always was. He's cute in his own way. It's the old story." - Bob Hewson (bono's dad)

"I remember when he was about 3, only a toddler. He was out in the back garden. He went over to a flower with a bee. He put it on his finger, lifted the bee up, talked to the bee, and put it back again. He probably doesn't remember it, I don't think I ever mentioned it, but I can remember to this day the horror of my wife and myself. He could go from flower to flower picking up bees and never got stung. Amazing, isn't it?" - Bob Hewson

"I have a terrible habit of finding really unimportant, trivial, manual things to do. I'll go mow the lawn, or find some piece of furniture that needs varnishing, or...paint the cat." Edge

Katey said:
"I have a terrible habit of finding really unimportant, trivial, manual things to do. I'll go mow the lawn, or find some piece of furniture that needs varnishing, or...paint the cat." Edge

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Oh, what a wonderful sense of humour!!! :wink:

"Bono, where did it all go wrong? I mean, we're trying to do a backing track and all of a sudden, the pope's on the phone."
Edge, on Bonos humanitarian efforts

"Ghandi on percussion, Martin Luther King on bass, guitar would be Isaac Newton, keyboards Beethoven, vocals J.C."
Edge describing his dream band

"I can?t even say the bloody word: Arrrch-tung Baby!
Larry, about the album Achtung Baby

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Adam?s personal motto

"...a bad photographer, or a landscape gardener"
Adam about his job, if not being in U2

"...but in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world
Bono, 2002

In Sweden we don?t wear underpants...! *
Bono, Stockholm 1992

...And finally my two favourite Bono quotes:

I don?t wan?t my kids asking me ?Why did you let 25 million people die for the supidest reason, money??
Bono, on the AIDS pandemic

.. the Koran is a beautiful book and the people who follow Islam are beautiful people and they have nothing to do with these religious lunatics. My favourite line from the Koran? ?He is close to God who makes his friends laugh??
Bono, Elevation-tour 2001, Baltimore, 19.10.01

:applaud: :bow: :applaud: :bow:

:hug: :bono: :hug:

*) Sweden is my neighbour country :D

"It's a musical journey" - :larry:

"It's a tough life being a pop star. You know, at the end of the day when you've paid all the bills and put the kids through college and that, you know, there's only enough left for a small island off the South Pacific." - :larry:

Great quotes! I haven't seen some of these before! Where did you find some of them?:wink:

"Here you have 6,000 Africans dying every day of a preventable treatable disease for lack of drugs we take for granted in Europe and America, and I don?t think this is something history is going to let us away with, and that we fail to dramatise this crisis says a lot about the numbness of these times and actually our inherent racism" Bono.

"If you need 5,000 people to scream your name out to feel better about your day, you know you are a rockstar.":bono:

That is another quote. I think that is kinda funny.

"I believe in grace over karma." "Grace awards were adwards aren't justified." :bono: "I have no nomoral life, I hit things and people clap.":larry:

Bono -
"I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I really think we're meant to be one of the biggest groups, like the Beatles or the Who." (in '82)

"I'd like to introduce you to my three bosses." (during the last tour)

"Best band in the world doesn't mean we're the best band tomorrow, or next month, or next year. Just tonight, at this moment." (during the last tour)

"I envy Edge for knowing who he is. If I knew who I was, I wouldn't be here, screaming for a living." (during AB making)

Edge:
"The music will tell you where to go." (about recording albums)
"I'm glad we'll be known for the music we make."

Larry:
"I hit things for a living."
"I'm the drummer. Chicks dig the drummers."
"Live is where we live." (in '98 when U2 got the award for best Live act at the EMAs)

Adam:
"It's about the four of us drowning out the rest of the world." (about playing live)

Larry: Ask me why we called the album POP?

MAX: Why did you call the album POP?

Larry: Well, it looks great on T-shirts. I just said to the guys "Look POP looks great on T-shirts, so why don't we call the album POP?" That's the reason.

"As usual, we're out of step with what everyone else is doing. If you ever want to find out what's going on, look at what we're doing and it's going to be the opposite of it. In the middle of the materialistic '80s, here was this ascetic bunch standing in the desert singing songs, and now, when America is in the middle of a conservative, grim phase, we're sailing on a 40-foot lemon through the middle of it all."--Edge

"Bass players attract the weirdest fans," Edge says. "I tend to get the bespectacled MIT students. Bono gets the poets. And Larry, unfortunately, gets the girls."

"Some artists become dull when they stop drinking or drugging, but Adam's not one of them. He's his old self. He loses none of his rubber-band-shooting,water-gun-squirting, public-disrobing spirit when he doesn't drink." - Bono

"As we were leaving stage, I said [to Bob Dylan], 'Those songs are gonna last forever, Bob.' And he said, 'Your songs are gonna last forever, too - the only thing is, no one's gonna be able to play them.' They're hard to figure out, you know?"-Bono

BP: Do you ever wish you were Edge/Larry/Adam?
Bono: The bass is the hippest instrument in rock 'n
roll, the drums are the most exciting. I want to play
the guitar very badly and I do play the guitar very badly.

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and
the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight!
"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride'
thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."--Bono

"The Edge is a really, really intense guy, he's got this incredibly high IQ, he's great at sorting out issues of worldly importance, it's just that he forgets the everyday things, like the chords of songs, where he is and so on." -Bono

" My earliest memory of Larry was when we were starting off. We were at our first rehearsal in his kitchen and all these girls kept climbing over the walls and looking in the window at Larry. Larry just shouted at them "Get out!" And then turned the hose on them! Larry likes to play drums." - Bono

Quotes by Adam

"We wouldn't get any more of him if he wasn't doing this stuff," Clayton says, noting that it's great fun to watch Bono turn his acuity and Irish charm on politicians and CEOs. "These guys don't expect him to have a grasp of the subject matter. He's able to go in with the facts and figures, talk circles around them, and suddenly, where they thought they were just going to get their picture taken with him, he's gotten something out of them before the picture. "You can't deny the penetration he has achieved," Clayton says. "And it makes the rest of us realize that what we do is important to the group. We need to keep it going forward, to allow him to come in and out. Bono has a legitimate reason not to be around all the time. And we have a legitimate reason to make sure that the time we are all together is used wisely." Adam

"I simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates"
-Adam Clayton, on what he does for a living. (is that why the bass holds mysterious powers over womenfolk?) :hmm:

"We've got great fans. They follow us through all sorts of changes, and in many ways they encourage us to continue pursuing music that excites us."-<---- :applaud:

"It's taken us fifteen years to get an image together, or indeed torealize that image is important.
And not important."-

"Sex involves one person, making love involve's two people."

"In a live situation, there's really no such thing as perfection...
You can't deal in perfection. You can only deal in emotion."-

Last edited:
thrillme said:
"Bass players attract the weirdest fans," Edge says. "I tend to get the bespectacled MIT students. Bono gets the poets. And Larry, unfortunately, gets the girls."

:lmao:

Adam-"I think the psychology of the bass player is interesting.If you've chosen that instrument you've decided in a way that your role is to support, to make everyone else feel confident"
I love this because it does describe Adam so perfectly.

Larry- The lyrics don't mean shit really. It's all about the drums!

Edge-I could tell stories of times each of the othershas been there for me. I mean, there have been periodswhen Adam and I didn't particularly get along over the years. Yet when I left Aislinn I moved in to Adam's. I suppose that the other three are the closest friends I have.
This makes me cry every time I read it...so sweet!

Bono-"The things that are most important now are the things you can't dial up.
You can dial up a piece of software that'll give you a sticky hot groove.
But you can't dial up the way Larry and Adam play together. You can't dial up a lyric that's about real life."

Another quote about Larry from the Orange Bible that I really love because it describes him so perfectly-Bono says that with Larry everyone is presumed guilty until proven innocent-but if he makes up his mind that you're okay he'll not only let you into his house, he'll let you sleep in his bed.

Last edited:
thrillme said:

What are bespectacled MIT students?

My favorite Bono quotes:

As a rock star, I have two instincts, I want to have fun, and I want to change the world. I have a chance to do both.

Books! I dunno if I ever told you this, but books are the greatest gift one person can give another.

Distance does not decide who is your brother and who is not. The church is going to have to become the conscience of the free market if it's to have any meaning in this world - and stop being its apologist.

It's so sweet, I feel like my teeth are rotting when I listen to the radio.

It's stasis that kills you off in the end, not ambition.

Music can change the world because it can change people.

My heroes are the ones who survived doing it wrong, who made mistakes, but recovered from them.

Rock 'n' roll is ridiculous. It's absurd. In the past, U2 was trying to duck that. Now we're wrapping our arms around it and giving it a great big kiss.

The less you know, the more you believe.

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.

U2 is an original species... there are colours and feelings and emotional terrain that we occupy that is ours and ours alone.

We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong.

Sadomasochism isn't a taboo in rock n' roll, sprituality is.

Words and music did for me what solid religious argument could never do, they introduced me to God, not belief in God, more an experiential sense of GOD...

I've always liked ........

"You only get disillusioned if you had illusions to begin with"..Bono 1987
.....and
I've never been to a U2 concert so I can't think why anyone would want to come. But I'm very glad they go......Bono 1985

oh......yes and..
When we started this band Edge and I were 15, Adam was 16, Larry was 14......Still is.
'I know this isn't a quote from the band but it's close and I love it:
Bono's Dad told, of his son (U2 At The End Of the World):

"I remember when he was about three, only a toddler. He was out in the back garden. He went over to a flower with a bee. He put out his finger, lifted the bee up, talked to the bee, and put it back again. He probably dosen't remember it, I don't think I ever mentioned it, but I can remember tot his day the horror of my wife and myself. He could go from flower to flower picking up bees and never get stung."......"Amazing, isn't it?"

Back
Top Bottom