Please EP and consequent POPMART appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Last night I have listened after almost 2 years to the Please EP. I don't know how, but it brought me almost in tears. This song makes you shake the veins in the wrists, it has probably the most beautiful lyrics of all the U2 songs and Bono really really sang this song pushing hard on his heart. He makes you feel his own same feelings, Please was a moment where his mind got really on a different horizon where he speaks his soul. And as Edge's solo starts Larry gets into the Sunday Bloody Sunday drum part and the song begins to fly....................."September, streets capsizing, spilling over down the drain, shards of glass, splinters like rain, but you could only feel your own pain.........."
Even if that's a sad song, it flows right into your spirit and makes you cry and think about the mess where the world is..............
And not talking about the last part of the song, when Bono gets on his knees and slides into that beautiful falsetto part that flows ina beautiful and magic way into Where The Streets Have No Name...........................Bono's still on the "Please" falsetto part and Edge already has begun with the arpeggio intro...................what an atmosphere, what a magic, what a powerful performance.......................Popmart's Streets version was probably the best version of the whole history, with that enhancement right after the normal end of the song where Edge turns into another melody and Bono sings snippets of The Playboy Mansion, until the song ends, and the sound remains until the lemon waits to be pulled on.................................
And what to say about that magnificent "Staring At The Sun" acoustic version, Bono and Edge duo to lift this song over the clouds........................with that "Happy to go blind, happy to go blind...." at the end of the song............................
Listening to this EP brought me back in the time, when I saw the POPMART show in Mannheim, Germany, on the 31 July....................when a light summer rain fell down during the whole concert, and I was wet, sticking with thousands of other persons watching U2 and singing with them....................And now I remember the beautiful feelings I had that night, almost 10 years ago, but still vivid in my soul. And even I was blown away last year at the Vertigo show in Milan, I now know for sure that nothing will ever replace that wonderful Popmart night................................It was a bless..........................

:heart: :heart:

hehe...good post--very stream-of-consciousness! :wink:

yep, Please is unbelievable. To me, Please and WUDM are the saviors of Pop.

Please is AMAZING!! It's one their songs that took on much greater meaning live. There are many songs on POP that have aged beautifully.

babyman said:
Last night I have listened after almost 2 years to the Please EP. I don't know how, but it brought me almost in tears. This song makes you shake the veins in the wrists, it has probably the most beautiful lyrics of all the U2 songs and Bono really really sang this song pushing hard on his heart. He makes you feel his own same feelings, Please was a moment where his mind got really on a different horizon where he speaks his soul. And as Edge's solo starts Larry gets into the Sunday Bloody Sunday drum part and the song begins to fly....................."September, streets capsizing, spilling over down the drain, shards of glass, splinters like rain, but you could only feel your own pain.........."
Even if that's a sad song, it flows right into your spirit and makes you cry and think about the mess where the world is..............
And not talking about the last part of the song, when Bono gets on his knees and slides into that beautiful falsetto part that flows ina beautiful and magic way into Where The Streets Have No Name...........................Bono's still on the "Please" falsetto part and Edge already has begun with the arpeggio intro...................what an atmosphere, what a magic, what a powerful performance.......................Popmart's Streets version was probably the best version of the whole history, with that enhancement right after the normal end of the song where Edge turns into another melody and Bono sings snippets of The Playboy Mansion, until the song ends, and the sound remains until the lemon waits to be pulled on.................................
And what to say about that magnificent "Staring At The Sun" acoustic version, Bono and Edge duo to lift this song over the clouds........................with that "Happy to go blind, happy to go blind...." at the end of the song............................
Listening to this EP brought me back in the time, when I saw the POPMART show in Mannheim, Germany, on the 31 July....................when a light summer rain fell down during the whole concert, and I was wet, sticking with thousands of other persons watching U2 and singing with them....................And now I remember the beautiful feelings I had that night, almost 10 years ago, but still vivid in my soul. And even I was blown away last year at the Vertigo show in Milan, I now know for sure that nothing will ever replace that wonderful Popmart night................................It was a bless..........................

:heart: :heart:

:up:
The PopMart concerts were amazing.
Fans who didn't go really missed out - all that hype about the band only half-filling stadiums and not taking the tour seriously was a load of crap.

Please was magnificent and the segue into Streets - beautiful.

SATS - dream-like.

PopMart - I fuckin enjoyed every show I went to!
And all those who went to the concerts will remember that feeling when approaching the stadium and seeing the Pop arch poking out the top - wow! Still gives me goosebumps!

Great memories - and that EP captures that.

Pop was my first new album experience since becoming a U2 fan. I remember its release quite well. Loved it then, still do. :heart:

Re: Re: Please EP and consequent POPMART appreciation thread

U2mixer said:

Fans who didn't go really missed out - all that hype about the band only half-filling stadiums and not taking the tour seriously was a load of crap.

SATS - dream-like.

And all those who went to the concerts will remember that feeling when approaching the stadium and seeing the Pop arch poking out the top - wow! Still gives me goosebumps!

I know that feeling. The songs U2 played on that HUGE stage came off so well. And "Please" to "Streets" is so magical & emotional. Maybe U2 will revisit it one day.

Re: Re: Please EP and consequent POPMART appreciation thread

U2mixer said:

SATS - dream-like.

Exactly, dear friend...........................exactly

Since this thread has to do with Pop (directly or indirectly) I'd echo comments that Pop has aged well. in fact, i think it has aged better than any other U2 album.

What I mean is that while some U2 albums have stood the test of time, Pop has AGED the best - meaning with time it has gotten better and better...an improvement via the aging process that no other U2 album can match.

That said, Pop isn't my favorite album, but I can respect when people say it was "ahead of its time".

Does anybody else agree with me when I say Please..Streets from Mexico City is much better than the equivalent from Santiago?

Utoo said:
To me, Please and WUDM are the saviors of Pop.

Discotheque, Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, GONE, If You Wear That Velvet Dress.....................................

Would you forget these tunes...................??

Please->COBL->Mercy->Streets

I know some might say the sound is too similar between these songs, but I'd die from an uncanny high immediately following this progression.

The Disciple said:
On the next tour, I'd like 2 c "Please" segue into "COBL".... I think that would b amazing!

you stole that idea from me :grumpy:

Yes Pop is fantastic. It is an album which is either enthusiastically loved or passionately hated. There seems to be no middle ground on people’s opinions of pop.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146318&highlight=Chizip

oh snap!!!

if ya check the date, that was in november...

the first time you mentioned it was in february

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3454156&highlight=COBL#post3454156

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh snap!!!!

Chizip wins again, ya stole the idea from me :grumpy:

LOL.... alright, I'll concede....

that U mentioned it first, Honestly, I hadn't read that....

but I THOUGHT about it first! :wink:

I'm gonna have 2 download that....

babyman said:

Discotheque, Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, GONE, If You Wear That Velvet Dress.....................................

Would you forget these tunes...................??

Yeah, I would. I mean, they're all great songs...definitely, no doubt about that. But none of them make Pop a stand-out album for me. Please and WUDM are so friggin' fantastic that they're what makes the album great to me. The real depth, angst & edge of Pop are in those two songs, IMO.

Last edited:
Pop is probably the album that the songs improved the most IMO , I already liked it before anything , and after I listened them live :drool: They rank there with the AB songs live :yes:

Utoo said:

Yeah, I would. I mean, they're all great songs...definitely, no doubt about that. But none of them make Pop a stand-out album for me. Please and WUDM are so friggin' fantastic that they're what makes the album great to me. The real depth, angst & edge of Pop are in those two songs, IMO.

I have another point of view, but I agree with you because you talk about your feelings, and there can't be any debate at all. Feelings are sacred
;)

babyman said:

I have another point of view, but I agree with you because you talk about your feelings, and there can't be any debate at all. Feelings are sacred
;)

Babyman, your wisdom should be shared by all. :wink:

Bonochick said:
Pop was my first new album experience since becoming a U2 fan. I remember its release quite well. Loved it then, still do. :heart:

I...uh...well....yep this pretty much sums up my thoughts. It was my first new U2 album to experience since I became a fan, and holy shit it's one of the best albums ever.

EVER. damnit.

Back
Top Bottom