Please (1997 MTV VMAs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slugger said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I, a hardcore U2 maniac, disliked Please the first time I heard it, how are teenyboppers on an MTV award show going to react to it? Of course it's the wrong song for that type of audience. It was a serious miscalculation on the band's part. Something like MOFO or Last Night On Earth would have made a much better choice.

I'm no so sure it was a miscalculation so much as it was the band just wanting to put forth the best performance they wanted to regardless of the teeny-boppers' reaction. This was 1997, remember.

Slugger said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I, a hardcore U2 maniac, disliked Please the first time I heard it, how are teenyboppers on an MTV award show going to react to it? Of course it's the wrong song for that type of audience. It was a serious miscalculation on the band's part. Something like MOFO or Last Night On Earth would have made a much better choice.

Agreed. Something a bit more UP -beat would have suitted the MTV audience. I still really like that song though. I thought Bono looked hot in the "unibomber outfit":wink:

namkcuR said:

I'm no so sure it was a miscalculation so much as it was the band just wanting to put forth the best performance they wanted to regardless of the teeny-boppers' reaction. This was 1997, remember.

I was around in 1997, I was 21 at the time, but I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. In 1997, few people cared a lot about U2 anymore. It was unfair, but it was true. If I remember correctly, U2 was promoting Pop in 1997, which means they could have chosen other, more appropriate songs from that album. MOFO would've been very kick ass, but they chose not to play it. I doubt they purposely tried to confuse/alienate the audience by playing a "difficult" song like Please. More than likely they misjudged their audience - I doubt they went there with the attitude of "screw the teenyboppers, let's play something for us." That's not U2's style, then or now. It was bad choices like this on the band's part that contributed to Pop's relatively low sales in the States.

Slugger said:

I was around in 1997, I was 21 at the time, but I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. In 1997, few people cared a lot about U2 anymore. It was unfair, but it was true. If I remember correctly, U2 was promoting Pop in 1997, which means they could have chosen other, more appropriate songs from that album. MOFO would've been very kick ass, but they chose not to play it. I doubt they purposely tried to confuse/alienate the audience by playing a "difficult" song like Please. More than likely they misjudged their audience - I doubt they went there with the attitude of "screw the teenyboppers, let's play something for us." That's not U2's style, then or now. It was bad choices like this on the band's part that contributed to Pop's relatively low sales in the States.

U2 have always wanted to connect with the audience, yes, but speaking in terms relative to U2's career alone, they were closer to the attitude you described in 1995-1998 that at any other time in their career. So it wouldn't surprise me if they did play Please without caring about the teeny-bopper reaction. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if it went down the way you describe either.

But if it was me, especially on an MTV awards show, I would never play what I thought would get the teenagers jumping up and down just for that purpose. I'd rather play a song that has a profound effect that goes way past jumping up and down for a hundred people who might be watching on TV than play a song that gets everybody jumping up and down but in the long run has no deep effect on anyone. I know that's not U2's way thinking most of the time, but it's mine.

I just watched the performace too and it was great. I have to agree with others though that it should have been a rocker played. The crowd didn't seem to be going crazy. I also just watched the European version of Mtv where they played Mofo and the crowd was just into it, and kicked ass and u2 feed off that energy.

Last edited:
It was a great, powerful performance but the audience didn't get it. They were in the mood for partying not for political statements. What a shame.

Now that we're discussing Please can someone please email me the single version? The album version's out of tune bass makes it really unlistenable.

Thanks to anyone who sends it.

cfernadez7@gmail.com

BrownEyedBoy said:
It was a great, powerful performance but the audience didn't get it. They were in the mood for partying not for political statements. What a shame.

Now that we're discussing Please can someone please email me the single version? The album version's out of tune bass makes it really unlistenable.

Thanks to anyone who sends it.

cfernadez7@gmail.com

Me too please(even though I love the album version as well)

Jrasruck2@aol.com

Is there something wrong with my hearing or did they cut the entire last verse(straw in lemonade/still looking for the face I had before the world was made etc) from that performance of Mofo?

I'm downloading both performances
right now,can't wait to see them! :hyper:
thanks!

Last edited:
Amazing performance. Thanks, namkcuR! I think the reason Bono may have dreaded the performance is that it was around the height of his vocal problems. You can tell on the crescendo of each chorus ("get UP off your knees," etc) and for the last two minutes of the song. You can almost feel the pain in his throat. Personally, I think it kind of adds some more feeling & meaning to the song--that song in particular--but I can see how he might not have been happy with it. If I sounded like awesome Bono for years and years, I probably wouldn't be happy with scratchy Bono either.

Still, kick-ass. And the edits with the rapidly changing camera angles blow your mind at the end!

I'm 24 years old.. and have been a huge fan since 1992. "POP" is not my favorite U2 album, but I do find it a hell of a great one, and it in my top 5. My top list includes in this order: Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, Zooropa, Unforgettable Fire, Pop.
And must say, I really liked "Please" from the start. Especially this VMA performance version of it. As for it being boring... Hardly.
Hey, it may take a while for some people to get into the "sound" of it, but as long as they do, at some point, and can appreciate the song's lyrics and what they are saying... thats what counts to me.

I still think, to this day, that "Please" was a very good choice for the VMA's. They went against the norm. They spoke out their message... truthfully and very emotionally.. and I thought that was damn fucking awesome.

Fuck the MTV teenyboppers! :mad: Puff Daddy, my arse.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
Is there something wrong with my hearing or did they cut the entire last verse(straw in lemonade/still looking for the face I had before the world was made etc) from that performance of Mofo?

I don't think they ever did that verse during live the popmart tour. All the versions I have skip it.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

I don't think they ever did that verse during live the popmart tour. All the versions I have skip it.

Not true. Check out the MOFO video in the Best of 90-00.

The Disciple said:

Oh? I've never seen it. I swear all the versions I've heard skip the last verse, but then again I might be way off. if anyone has a afull version live, mp3 or video I'd love to see it

The Disciple said:

But that was just a remix version of the song with live footage as the backdrop, not a true live performance of the song.

namkcuR said:
I seriously cannot believe people think Please is dull. It is a catharsis. One of U2's top 5 songs ever imo.

It's actually becoming a big fave with me all of a sudden. The single version in particular.

The performence at these awards was great. I've watched it a few times now...:up:

Back
Top Bottom