Please (1997 MTV VMAs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I'm downloading the Mofo Euro VMA video from an unlinkable source right now. I'll upload it once I have it.

xana dew said:
I recall not digging the hood look, and that perhaps Bono would be made fun of. That bothered me. Sure enough, Rock made his Unabomber crack.

isn't that what the point of the look was? to tie it into the theme of the song about terrorist bombings in northern ireland?

of course, it went over chris rock's head; I'm sure he was more concerned over who he was gonna bang that night.

nathan1977 said:
I remember watching it and wanting to throw something at the screen when Chris Rock said "Whoa, Bono. Hey, is it just me or does Bono look like the Unabomber?"

They've just finished this incredible performance about the troubles in Northern Ireland and Rock makes a joke. Typical.

Not only that, but a joke about a terrorist!

I remember the comment just KILLED the entire vibe that U2 had spent 7 minutes building. (Or at least I thought so :wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:

They should release all the VMA performances from the beginning up to now on something. I'd like to see a few of those in full.

Angela

That would be cool, I'd love to have high quality copies of some of those. They did make a couple of VMA DVDs actually, Please is on one of them.

thank you thank you thank you. you have shinned some light on my horrible week namkcu and nuetral.

edit: could anyone YSI the mofo clip? for some reason i can't use the othe site. thank you

Last edited:
I have a 6:52 audio clip of the VMA Mofo performance if anyone wants it, it has the complete Pop Muzik/Mofo performance on it. Leave your email and I'll hook you up.

Originally posted by neutral
That would be cool, I'd love to have high quality copies of some of those.

:yes:.

Originally posted by neutral
They did make a couple of VMA DVDs actually, Please is on one of them.

Oh, really? Hmm, I'll have to look for those.

In the meantime, thanks to those of you who've shared the links :bow: :hug:. I shall download them and enjoy them :yes:.

Angela

The Mofo performnace was just brilliant from start to finish,

Saying that though, you could argue like Please, it's not 'mainstream'.

The SaveFile link to the mpg of Mofo is not working. When you get to the final stage, it says "page not found." :(

nathan1977 said:
I remember watching it and wanting to throw something at the screen when Chris Rock said "Whoa, Bono. Hey, is it just me or does Bono look like the Unabomber?"

They've just finished this incredible performance about the troubles in Northern Ireland and Rock makes a joke. Typical.

yes... godforbid chris rock would make a joke. you'd think it was his job or something.

jesus fucking christ. amazing! Please is such a great song. huge buildup, so much tension, that isn't resolved until the very end with Edge's gutiar solo. that was an amazig performance. sweet as hell. i think it was even cooler that bono looked pissed off about it.

I rememeber this performance, I recorded it and watched it everyday. I went to school the next day and was asking all my buddies if they saw it, but all they cared about was Puff Daddy's performance. I was fricken sweet.
On a side note, when i saw radiohead on SNL perform National Anthem, it reminded me alot of U2's performance of please.

david said:
I remember thinking how it was good but U2 were kind of out of their element there. It was weird.

Bingo. It was well performed, but the song just wasn't right for the audience, leaving the crowd uninterested. The band probably thought it was because they performed badly, but it's really due to the song being unexciting.

BigMacPhisto said:

Bingo. It was well performed, but the song just wasn't right for the audience, leaving the crowd uninterested. The band probably thought it was because they performed badly, but it's really due to the song being unexciting.

Unexciting? Hardly. The building tension throughout the song and the subsequent release of that tension through the guitar solo are the opposite of unexiciting - exciting. Unfortunately, the audience couldn't appreciate something they couldn't sing along to.

BigMacPhisto said:

I think the song is OK. It is kind of dull though, especially in the beginning. The buildup at the end saves the song, but it does only that - it saves it from being completely boring. Definately the wrong song for an MTV crowd though. It gets mixed reactions at a U2 concert, so I don't see how the band expected to pull it off in front of the teenyboppers.

Please is the type of song that you have to listen to a lot before you can appreciate its strengths. When most people first hear it, the will have to overcome the urge to hit the skip button on the CD player. After a while, if you give it a chance, it grows on the listener, but it's not a song that you can listen to any old time. I need to be in the right mood to listen to it.:wink:

Slugger said:
Please is the type of song that you have to listen to a lot before you can appreciate its strengths. When most people first hear it, the will have to overcome the urge to hit the skip button on the CD player. After a while, if you give it a chance, it grows on the listener, but it's not a song that you can listen to any old time. I need to be in the right mood to listen to it.:wink:

I see your point. But I love it 90% of the time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I, a hardcore U2 maniac, disliked Please the first time I heard it, how are teenyboppers on an MTV award show going to react to it? Of course it's the wrong song for that type of audience. It was a serious miscalculation on the band's part. Something like MOFO or Last Night On Earth would have made a much better choice.

Back
Top Bottom