PJ Harvey -' Greatest Female Rock and Pop Artist Of All Time'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Well, accdg. to a survey of 200,000 people in England by Q Magazine she is-Madonna second.

These surveys are pretty meaningless, of course-but who do you think is the 'greatest' one?

The 'of all time' part is tricky, I think, because people tend to think of the most recent-and it's obviously influenced by age and where you live.

PJ definitely rocks though. And we need more women who rock!

Here's the link to the news article
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011202/en/music-pjharvey_1.html

I don't agree with the "of all time" part..
but PJ is a phenomenal rockin female artist whose intelligence and talent far outshines most of the mush that is hoisted on the masses today. I love her - and can't wait to see her on tour.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
what about Janis Joplin?

She was 10th in the survey-she's the one I always hear mentioned as the 'greatest' of all time.

Without a doubt she rocked-though I'm not old enough to remember her
wink.gif
. I have heard some of her music though.

Uh, not a chance. I didn't think too much of her when she opened for U2. Good voice, droney music.

I don't like many female singers. There are very few whose voices or music capture me. I do think Stevie Nicks and Chrissy Hynde of the Pretenders have great and distinctive voices. And I like Sarah McLachlan, but she isn't exactly a singer for the ages.

Actually, this makes me sound really sexist, but I'm a girl myself--and I can't really think of ANY female singer who I would consider a "singer for the ages."

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

I love PJ, but greatest of all time is quite a stretch. Juliana Hatfield is my favorite female artist, though I wouldn't say she's the greatest of all time, either. Guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't know who to vote for.

Come on...I love PJ as much as the next angry, bitter young woman, but what about Patti Smith or Janis Joplin--or, for that matter, Billie Holiday?

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I absolutely love PJ Harvey, although I'm not really into the stuff before "To Bring You My Love."

I wouldn't say the greatest of all time, but she is way up there. IMO she has got one of the best and most versatile voices out there.

------------------
"she was always so needing
said, 'i have no-one'
even as i held her
she went out looking for someone"
PJ Harvey

I love PJ and I'm so glad that U2 introduced me to her. It's not just her voice, but her lyrics that get me. I'd love to see her play a smaller venue tho...arenas didn't seem to be her style.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'd love to see her play a smaller venue tho...arenas didn't seem to be her style.

My thoughts exactly.

When I saw her on Letterman I was SO impressed with her voice-it just doesn't seem as suited to arenas.

And it was interesting how shy she was on Letterman on the interview portion-quite different from her persona on stage
wink.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

rock: Patti Smith
pop: Madonna

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 12-04-2001).]

I love PJ too! I'm not sure if I would call her THE greatest female artist ever but she's absolutely in the top 5 at least.

Well, she is my favourite female artist, but I wouldn't say that she is the Greatest Ever. She is a truly unique, original talent, but there were many female artists before her who were just as good and much more iconic and influential. And the greatest female pop artist is, unquestionably, Madonna.

Originally posted by Saracene:
And the greatest female pop artist is, unquestionably, Madonna.
icon14.gif
biggrin.gif

i don't know if i'd agree with PJ harvey as number one, but i don't know who i'd replace her with. maybe joni mitchell, patti smith, i dunno.

------------------
"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values." - Bono

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed...

ridiculous!! Bullocks!!
PJ is nothing special at all, and to think so many declared her the greatest female musician OF ALL TIME makes my stomach turn.

The likes of Modanna and Abdul have been infinitly more influencial and those like Joplin, Stevie Nicks, and Joni Michell surpass her on any kind of Musical field.
Even in more modern terms I'd MUCH rather expose my ears to Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, or Portishead...give me a break...PJ Harvey?..pffhh!

------------------
If you take a drive, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat
If you talk a walk, I'll tax your feet
I'm the taxman!

[This message has been edited by Basstrap (edited 12-05-2001).]

Anyone who picked Paula Abdul needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.
Anyone who chose Madonna over Joni Mitchell and Patti Smith needs serious help as well.

PJ is great but she ain't number one by a long shot.

MAP

Pics from this issue of Q Magazine.
PJ_QMag_01c

This cracks me up. It's funny to see the way she has played with her own image throughout her career.

oops, sorry. didn't work. not sure why. bye.

[This message has been edited by Bound (edited 12-06-2001).]

Boy George

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Back
Top Bottom