Pick a Hand! (Hands That Built America)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pick a Hand! (THTBA)

• Best Of Version

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Soundtrack Version

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Who cares, it still sucks!

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Roland of Gilead

Gunslinger
I just purchased the Gangs of New York soundtrack today and realized the single potential that THTBA has. I like the Best Of version, but there was something about it that didn't make me feel "oh yes, this is a future single." Well, today I see it (hear it). The soundtrack version of THTBA is definetly a future single. More stripped and yet more enhanced, this version is almost 30 seconds shorter than the Best Of version.

Well, what do you think?

haven't heard the soundtrack version. i like the best of version, i didn't think it sucked....the only thing i thought at first was that the line "these are the hands that built america" sounded kind of cheesy...but that was only at first...

I *really* like the soundtrack version, but I'm annoyed that I got a copy-protected cd, I'd really like to be able to post it but I can't even listen to the stupid thing on my computer. Definitely like this better than what's on the Best Of (and I still like that version alot) :yes:

bonosloveslave said:
I *really* like the soundtrack version, but I'm annoyed that I got a copy-protected cd, I'd really like to be able to post it but I can't even listen to the stupid thing on my computer. Definitely like this better than what's on the Best Of (and I still like that version alot) :yes:

Really? That sucks. Mine plays perfectly on the computer.

wertsie said:
I didn't even know the soundtrack had a different version. How is it different from the Best Of?

Yeah, I'm curious too. Is it online anywhere?

There's another thread on this here:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69787

The soundtrack came out yesterday, I actually listened to the whole thing today and it basically blows chunks :down: (other than this lovely song of course :) )

But I think it was worth it for the one song since the single won't be out til some time in Feb. LOTS more violins, xylophone a lot more subtle, opera part is same as what's on the Best Of DVD video. Vocals are a mix of the regular song and what's in the video (from what I can tell).

I thought I had gotten a copy-protected cd, but now that I'm trying it on a different computer it's working ok, although I did end up doing the color-the-edge-with-black-marker thing - still didn't work on the 1st computer, but it's working on the 2nd.

I'm uploading it to Ellen right now, should have a link for it sometime tonight!

Last edited:
Okay, it's on Sicy's FTP in the uploads folder for now (I hope that's okay, Sicy :wave: ) but if you don't know how//can't get to that, I can AIM it to anyone if you want. I'm LightMyWay02, and I've got cable internet until I go home tomorrow, so let me know.

My vote goes to the best of version. I was expecting more of a difference between the two; I find them to be quite similar. The soundtrack version is a more stripped down , traditional version.

..oh, and it is definitely NOT copy protected. I was able to rip and play with no problem.

Last edited:
I haven't heard the soundtrack version yet either but I heard it has tin whistle on it, and I l LOVE anything with the tin whistle so that will probably be my favorite version.

Oh, does this version still have that irritating Xylophone thingee on it?

I hate that, on the Best of Version.

It is positively irritating.

I still can't believe U2 put a Xylophone on one of their songs.

:no:

The soundtrack mix is much better. Somebody kick William Orbit in the head.

They should've cut out those last lyrics about 9/11, though...

Soundtrack, the violins are a nice touch and the opera piece doesn't seem to be as over the top as the Best Of version, this song is a masterpiece for a movie!!

I thought the Xylophone was a interesting touch. It's a soundtrack song to a BIG epic movie. Therfore a large orchestra type sound would fit.

William Orbit did a super job with " Electrical Storm". I agree that 9/11 was better left out.

Whatever version....I love the song!

Did anyone get a "Miss Sarejvo" vibe when they first heard it?

oktobergirl said:
I haven't heard the soundtrack version yet either but I heard it has tin whistle on it, and I l LOVE anything with the tin whistle so that will probably be my favorite version.

Oh, does this version still have that irritating Xylophone thingee on it?

I hate that, on the Best of Version.

It is positively irritating.

:lol: I hate the xylophone! It's just too "obvious" (that's not the word I'm looking for, crap!)... all I know is it annoys me.

Oh, thanks for putting it on your FTP Sicy, I'll check the soundtrack version tonight. :)

oktobergirl said:

Really? 'Bad' uses a Zylophone. It pretty much makes the Live version standout that much more. Actually, it's right at the forfront of the Live Aid version throughout the entire song, and that's what really makes that version so special. (But I digress...)

Michael Griffiths said:

Really? 'Bad' uses a Zylophone. It pretty much makes the Live version standout that much more. Actually, it's right at the forfront of the Live Aid version throughout the entire song, and that's what really makes that version so special. (But I digress...)

You must accede that the 2 xylophones sound rather different though. Well I guess you don't have to, but it's true!!

Oh yes, of course they do (sound different)! But I just wanted to point out that U2 have used xylophones before, and therefore certainly would (and have) put them into a song. My point is that it isn't the use of xylophones that's the problem - it's how they're used. But everone has different tastes, so to that end it's all a matter of opinion. I happen to love them in 'Bad' but someone else may hate them? Who knows!

point well taken good sir. i always thought the thing in bad was just a synth of some sort rather than a xylophone actually. i was having trouble describing it when i was trying to write a poem about bad

Like the Best of version better. and I actually like the 9/11 lyric, even more so now that I've seen the movie. The Irish and Italians in the movie helped to build our cities in the 1860's, just like the Irish and Italians was important in building the towers. I liked the connection.

I saw Gangs on last Friday and it was amazing!

The build up to 'Hands' was great.

9/11 lyrics add a lot to the song since the last shot of the movie is the NYC skyline with the Twin Towers .

Right now, I prefer the Soundtrack version!

Back
Top Bottom