Pete The Chop - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Pete The Chop

Question about this random old U2 b-side.....

Is it true that U2 intended Pete The Chop to be their 'surefire hit single' that they were saving in case it looked like their careers were going to fall apart? I know there was a b-side called 'Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop,' so is that the same song?

Old 08-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:12 AM
It's not EXACTLY the same song, though 'Whatever Happened To...' borrows a lot from 'Pete the Chop'.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Vocal parasite

Re: Pete The Chop

Quote:
Originally posted by PopFly
Is it true that U2 intended Pete The Chop to be their 'surefire hit single' that they were saving in case it looked like their careers were going to fall apart?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Quote:
I know there was a b-side called 'Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop,' so is that the same song?
No. Pete The Chop was a song U2 played before the release of Boy - and while records from the time period are incomplete, as far as we know, it was the last pre-Boy song to be played live.

Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?) borrows the music.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Damnit, I was supposed to answer!

Yeah, all this is true.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool
Damnit, I was supposed to answer!

Yeah, all this is true.
Yeah, it kind of didn't seem right beating you to it, but I was bored.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yeah, it kind of didn't seem right beating you to it, but I was bored.
You arsehole. You on AIM? I don't seem to be getting anything, and I need to discuss..uh...stuff...
Old 08-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool

You arsehole. You on AIM? I don't seem to be getting anything, and I need to discuss..uh...stuff...
I'll be on AIM for a short bit, I suppose. I'm still not well at all and I'm just contenting myself with plodding aimlessly around Interference at the moment.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'll be on AIM for a short bit, I suppose. I'm still not well at all and I'm just contenting myself with plodding aimlessly around Interference at the moment.
You sick?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

You sick?
Yep. Vomiting and diahroea has pretty much sucked all the energy out of me, and in the last few days, I've either been sleeping or going to the doctor for ultrasound or catscan or a blood test. I've gotten sick of lying in bed and my energy's starting to come back, but I'm still feeling miserable.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Pete The Chop

Quote:
Originally posted by PopFly

Is it true that U2 intended Pete The Chop to be their 'surefire hit single' that they were saving in case it looked like their careers were going to fall apart?
I really doubt the validity of this claim. If this really were the case surely Pete The Chop would have been the second single of Pop.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:42 AM
^
Old 08-07-2005, 02:38 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Pete The Chop was a friend of Andrew Whiteway, one of the band's earliest management associates. "Andrew had great fun working with us and avoiding whatever he was supposed to be doing in Trinity College," Edge explains. "He had a couple of friends come over when we played London, and one of them turned out to be Pete The Chop. After the show he came up to us and said I think you should write a song about me. And so we did."

It was the most pop thing that U2 had ever written and when their manager, Paul McGuinness, heard the demo, he thought, "that's a hit single". The people at Island felt the same.

"We said, nobody's ever going to hear it," Bono recalls, "because it would bury the band. And Paul used to get very pissed off that we weren't releasing the song."

"It was very melodic," The Edge adds, "but not really very good."

"So eventually we minced it," Bono laughs. "We turned it around, played it backwards, just sort of fucked it in the ear, and called it 'Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?'."

That, according to The Edge, was in the days when U2's albums were Top 30 but there was no sign of a hit single. "The new title was a reference to the record company guys who were always saying to Paul McGuinness, 'Whatever happened to "Pete The Chop?" Remember that hit song? (laughs)'."

Appropriately, 'Treasure' was the B-side of 'New Year's Day', the band's breakthrough single in the UK, which was produced by Steve Lillywhite and released in January 1983.

http://www.petethechop.com/about.php
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:12 PM
I love this song