Pet Shop Boys covered U2 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Oh my word I just downloaded "Where the streets have no name" by the Pet Shop Boys.
eek.gif
I have never heard this before and I can now say I could have spared my ears some torture!

If you care to get sick, its in my ftp in the rarities & collaborations folder.

warning! cheesyness!

ftp://u2:mofo@sicy.interference.com:21000/

icon21.gif

------------------
The wind will crack in winter time
No spoken words, just a scream

My Lair

It's really old, but I don't think it sucks.It's a great song no matter who's singing it and I've always liked the pet shop boys.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess.

Originally posted by Sicy:
Oh my word I just downloaded "Where the streets have no name" by the Pet Shop Boys.
eek.gif
I have never heard this before and I can now say I could have spared my ears some torture!

warning! cheesyness!

icon21.gif

Sicy..where have YOU been?
That is like *sooo* yesterday...LOL!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes..I do agree...it's an acquired taste...
Some like it..some don't...
I am neutral on this one...but LOL...I haven't heard that in YEARS!!
oxoxo
Autumn

It's probly just me. I cant stand pretty much any U2 cover. And I cant agree with 'no matter who's singing it'. Its a great song and it just doesnt sound right being sung by anyone other than U2.

SHIT! Where have I been is right apparently.

[This message has been edited by Sicy (edited 02-10-2002).]

It's probly just me. I cant stand pretty much any U2 cover. And I cant agree with 'no matter who's singing it'. Its a great song and it just doesnt sound right being sung by anyone other than U2.

SHIT! Where have I been is right apparently.
Do you REALLY feel like puking?
Try throwing on that fucking U2 tribute album...now THAT is butchering to say the least...what a dark depressing pile of shit that album is...and I hear you on the U2 covers...Bono really puts his fucking stamp on his songs...very hard to repeat, very hard to cover...atleast the Pet Shop boys cover is upbeat..that tribute album makes me want to do something slightly short of slitting my wrists...

[This message has been edited by Sicy (edited 02-10-2002).]

eek.gif

warning! cheesyness!

icon21.gif

OH MY! I saw the video online of their cover of streets...I was shocked and applauded. Why would they even think to cover a U2 song- with that voice??? His voice sounds like old 70's computerized voices. YUCKIDY!

Originally posted by mmmBono:
Try throwing on that fucking U2 tribute album...now THAT is butchering to say the least...what a dark depressing pile of shit that album is...

I've seen that in the stores. I refuse to buy it!!

I agree, at least the few attempts to cover U2 I've heard. And it seems like there are more of us since noone that has tried to cover them has made any success with it. Even Bono has commented on that when he got a question about it.

I've seen the entire video for this cover by Pet shop boys and it's tasteless but I also heard that they hate U2 and made this only to make fun of them.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Ok, I'll be the first to say I like the Pet Shop Boys cover. As for covers in general, didn't someone say Cher covered a U2 song? don't remember which one but remember someone saying it was awful. and there is a bossa nova cover of Party Girl by a band called Automobile. Kinda weird.

Originally posted by ms.hewson:
I've always liked the pet shop boys.

I love Pet Shop Boys! Well, not really , I love their music LOL!

U2's response when they found out about the cover version; "What have we, What have we, What have we done to deserve this??"

No shit(e), I remember hearing about that like 10 years ago.

HEY!
mad.gif

that song rocked ass at the time....
biggrin.gif

Still does, and I dont have a prob with it, only ever had a prob with One being covered by Mica Paris, and now a new girl group has covered All I Want Is You - something cross between Shakespeare Sister, Alishas Attic and Thunderbugs voices...............

Originally posted by daisybean:
Actually I like REM's version of ONE, but it is no where near the original.

Do you mean the version made by half U2 and half REM? Automatic Baby? I agree, it sure is good. Michael Stipes voice fits the song but it's not redone very much.

I've heard another version of One with another artist, dont' remember who though and it was a rape of the song. I've also heard ISHFWILF, the same with that one, a rape.

I do like Pet shops boys music as well, but preferable their own.

One by Johnny Cash. Most horrible butchered excuse for a song I've ever heard.

Best covers of U2 songs done were by Dream Theatre, they covered Bad live and it sounded just like the album version. Then most recently the female Japanese singer, I forgot her name, she did a moving heartfelt cover of "With Or Without You".

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Hahaaa! I know that group Rockapella did a cover of MW... Man, they shoulda stuck to 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego"...

One by Johnny Cash. Most horrible butchered excuse for a song I've ever heard.

Take that back! Take that back now! I lvoe that cover of the song-- different approach, very sorrowful, dark like something you would only expect from the Man in Black.

Mr Cash also warbled his way through a Soundgarden song.

Poor old codger.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

found this a while ago:

Sunday Mirror 12/09/1999
BONO IS A SPLASH HIT AT ELTON'S PAD

It was the battle of the bands as rock and pop went to war. The scene was EIton John's villa in the south of France and the protagonists were U2 heavyweight Bono versus the Pet Shop Boys.

The private dinner with EIton at his plush Nice pad had provoked some lively debate among the illustrious guests as to the merits
of pop and rock.

Full of the joys of his host's hospitality, Bono stepped out on to the balcony of chez EIton after dinner and peered down into the pool. It obviously seemed like a golden opportunity for the U2 singer to give the
boys of pop a demonstration of some macho rock 'n'roll antics.

Splash
Bono took a dare-devil dive from the balcony, landing with a loud splash in
the water below. However, Neil Tennant of the Pet ShopBoys decided to fly the pop flag by quickly following the rock god over the balcony and into the pool. Bono seemed 'suitably impressed. "Rock l, Pop 1", he declared, as the pair emerged unscathed.
Tennant laughs as he relates the story to the Suri-day World when we meet in the German city of Cologne.

It's the night after a major party hosted by the Pet Shop Boys, who had unveiled new tracks off their next album, Nightlife,
and announced their live show which plays Dublin's Point Depot on December 12.
Despite the fact that he left the local Club Lulu venue at 3.30am, Neil is looking remarkably fresh as we chat over coffee.
"Appearances can be deceptive," he points out. The multi-millionaire who found fame and fortune after teaming up with Chris
Lowe, following a chance meeting in a London
electronics shop, is still remarkably unaffected by the enormous success of his
group. Neil and Chris have been one of the most creative forces in pop and have
earned the respect of some of the legends in the business. They have lived their dream, working with some of their own idols, including the late Dusty Springfield, a formidable lady with a reputation for being
"difficult". Neil admits: "The prospect of working with her was daunting. When she came
into the studio we were petrified. We were hiding in a little office, giggling with nerves. But she turned out to be quite shy as well. She said to me, 'You make me feel calm."'

Party
U2 issued a wry statement declaring "What have we done to deserve this?"
when asked to comment on the Pet Shop Boys' cover version of their song, Where The Streets Have No Name, which they segued with
the Frankie Valli standard Can't Take Me Eyes Off You.

Neil says: "I like Bono. He was really good fun the evening we met him at Elton John's villa. He was really lovely and boy can
he drink!"

The Pet Shop Boys are looking forward to returning with a new live show. "We
don't tour very often, so we enjoy it all the more," Neil says. "As people
we still get on well together. We enjoy it as much as when we started "When we're writing songs together in each other's
home it's like a parly. There's always a lot of laughter in the studio, so the fun is still there."

------------------
If I could through myself set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away See you break, break away

Take Me Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

In an attempt to close to gap between the haters and the believers, I really, really like the Pet Shop Boys' cover of Streets.

What I like is that they didn't try to sound like U2 all over again. They took the song and made it their own. When I listen to The PSBs sing it, I'm not even thinking, this is a U2 song. And when I hear U2 sing it, I don't think of the PSBs. To me, the two versions of the song exist in two different planes and I am able to not compare them and just enjoy each one on its own merits.

Granted, if you don't like the PSBs' style of music or Neil's voice, you won't like the cover. Simple enough.

So I, for one, admit that I love the Pet Shop Boys and their version of Streets. So there.
tongue.gif

(Not to mention, I'm having deja vu. I know this forum has had this discussion before.)

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
I also heard that they hate U2 and made this only to make fun of them.

I think you may be getting this confused with Chumbawamba's cover of I Still Haven't Looking For, that band has publically and lyrically made it clear they don't care much for U2.

I had to work a Cher concert, and she did a cover of "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
It was pretty good. Not quite the same tempo as U2, but it wasn't horrible.

PearlJam_U2

Originally posted by sharky:
As for covers in general, didn't someone say Cher covered a U2 song? don't remember which one but remember someone saying it was awful.

Yes I heard a live version of Cher covering "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"... it was pretty painful.

I have a demo tape of pet shop boy's cover of "Where the Streets Have No Name" that I bought for like $0.25 at the GoodWill--it's an interesting angle.

Pet Shop Boys' cover: fun, happy, good.

Cher's cover: HORRID. I wonder how THAT one got made.

"Hey, you know that U2 song where they're walking around in Vegas? Let's take that song, strip it of all its soul, and add a guitar solo."

INSANE.

That said, the best U2 cover is NOT the Pet Shop Boys. It is...

(drumroll please)

"The Fly", by the Joshua Trio.

If you have heard it, you know what I'm talking about. And if you have it on mp3, by all means, hook us up!

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
Do you mean the version made by half U2 and half REM? Automatic Baby? I agree, it sure is good. Michael Stipes voice fits the song but it's not redone very much.

I've heard another version of One with another artist, dont' remember who though and it was a rape of the song. I've also heard ISHFWILF, the same with that one, a rape.

I do like Pet shops boys music as well, but preferable their own.

Ok, i'll say i prefer the original, but i didn't mind the Pet shop boys cover of Streets. It was nice to see a different approach to the song IMO.

As for "One" i heard the MP3 of U2/REM together - and for some reason Michael Stipe's voice made me laugh. He fits great to REM songs, but he just isn't suitable for One.

Back
Top Bottom