Perfecting ATYCLB...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay, I know this has been done several times before. One more time won't hurt methinks. :wink:

Album Name: ELEVATION

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment (acoustic) and no, NOT Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of!
3. Elevation reworked w/ slightly better lyrics
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. Scatter Of Light reworked 'In A Little While' of course!
7. Peace On Earth
8. Levitate
9. When I Look At The World
10. New York
11. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. Grace (instrumental) reworked and made an instrumental so the trite rhyming schemes go away!

Bonus tracks/B-sides: Wild Honey, Stateless, Summer Rain.

I think Levitate has the perfect spot on the album sandwiched between the slower Peace On Earth and the more upbeat When I Look. :drool:

How could you possibly take away Grace's wonderful lyrics?

Seriously, get over "grace, it's a name for a girl, it's also a thought that changed the world" and listen to the rest of the bloody thing. Fantastic song, especially lyrically.

Axver said:
Seriously, get over "grace, it's a name for a girl, it's also a thought that changed the world" and listen to the rest of the bloody thing.

LOL. That's not the problem. The problem is getting over 'walk/chalk/talk' and 'hips/lips/skips/fingertips'!!!

Zootlesque said:
Okay, I know this has been done several times before. One more time won't hurt methinks. :wink:

Album Name: ELEVATION

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment (acoustic) and no, NOT Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of!
3. Elevation reworked w/ slightly better lyrics
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. Scatter Of Light reworked 'In A Little While' of course!
7. Peace On Earth
8. Levitate
9. When I Look At The World
10. New York
11. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. Grace (instrumental) reworked and made an instrumental so the trite rhyming schemes go away!

Bonus tracks/B-sides: Wild Honey, Stateless, Summer Rain.

I think Levitate has the perfect spot on the album sandwiched between the slower Peace On Earth and the more upbeat When I Look. :drool:

For once I have to disagree with you, as much as it pains me to do so :sad: we're still friends right?? :angel:

To start off, if you're gonna rework the album, why not mess with the track order? Walk On as the fourth song just doesn't make sense! it's the perfect closer! I could come up with a whole alternate tracklisting, but I'm too lazy.

Secondly, why rework In A Little While? I find the song to be just fine as it is. I think New York could use some work though, to be more like the superior live version :drool:

Levitate, while a good song, just seems unfinished to me. Lyrically at least it makes me cringe, it sounds like Bono is just improvising during an entire verse, which although he does well sometimes (a lot of the lyrics of One were improvised...), come on. "Freedom comes and freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" How bloody much do you love that line, Bono? Followed by "Maybe we can taste it, you and I" Holy shit, Bono eats babies! There goes his career. Perhaps if the lyrics were changed I'd accept its placement...

The Ground Beneath Her Feet. While one of my favourite U2 songs ever, I don't feel like it belongs on ATYCLB, since it was originally on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack...but it WAS featured as a bonus track on the international release of ATYCLB so I don't really blame you for putting it on there. Regardless it blows all those other songs outta the water :wink:

I wouldn't take Wild Honey off, or if I did I'd replace it with Flower Child, which I think is far catchier.

Also, making Grace instrumental? Just when I thought the song couldn't get more boring! Christ on a crackerjack. I guess you did say "reworked," but I don't know what else you meant besides no vocals. A blistering guitar solo in the middle? :wink:

Overall I have to say I'm rather disappointed in you :wink:, but you've redeemed yourself with your treatment of Stuck in a Moment. The acoustic version is better and no longer stuck in a superfluously long and stupid song title.

Oh, by the way, I'd replace Peace on Earth with Summer Rain, it's a better song... :mac:

Last edited:
as for the original post

1- i would not tinker with in a little while. it's a fantastic song.

2- there's really no point in trying to put better lyrics into elevation. it serves one purpose, a dumb little rock song. and it works well at that live, and it was a fairly decent 'hit'.

3- i wouldn't put an acoustic version of stuck on the album. I'd use it as a bside somewhere. Make it more like the live version where theres way more prominant guitar and less ... stuff.

4- i don't think levitate fits the album well. maybe a bit reworked, though. its a good song.

5- grace as an instrumental would suck. i like the lyrics actually, the music is meh. i think the lyrics actually save the song, thats just me. :shrug:

6- why did you axe wild honey? :mad:

i would agree with adding the ground beneath her feet to the album (everywhere) and elsewhere in the tracklisting though. it's too good of a song to not be on an album, but i guess hold me thrill me kiss me kill me suffered the same fate.

Re: Re: Perfecting ATYCLB...?

AtomicBono said:

For once I have to disagree with you, as much as it pains me to do so :sad: we're still friends right?? :angel:

:lol: Sure... friends don't have to agree all the time.

AtomicBono said:

Walk On as the fourth song just doesn't make sense! it's the perfect closer!

I don't know... I like Walk On and Kite together in the middle of the album.

AtomicBono said:

Secondly, why rework In A Little While? I find the song to be just fine as it is.

Except for the 'scatter of light' verse, I don't like the lyrics to In A Little While. They're way too adult contemporary and not to mention, predictable. In a little while, surely you'll be mine? If I come crawling, will you be there??? :no:

AtomicBono said:

Levitate, while a good song, just seems unfinished to me. Lyrically at least it makes me cringe, it sounds like Bono is just improvising during an entire verse, which although he does well sometimes (a lot of the lyrics of One were improvised...), come on. "Freedom comes and freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" How bloody much do you love that line, Bono? Followed by "Maybe we can taste it, you and I" Holy shit, Bono eats babies!

:lmao: That line doesn't bother me though. Musically, Levitate is just :drool: And I love how it kicks off the upbeat section of the album!

AtomicBono said:

I wouldn't take Wild Honey off, or if I did I'd replace it with Flower Child, which I think is far catchier.

Okay, I need to listen to Flower Child right now! Please...? :wink:

AtomicBono said:

Also, making Grace instrumental? Just when I thought the song couldn't get more boring! Christ on a crackerjack. I guess you did say "reworked," but I don't know what else you meant besides no vocals. A blistering guitar solo in the middle? :wink:

The idea of making Grace instrumental serves 2 purposes.
1. Enhances the atmospherics which have been pretty much lacking since UF.
2. Gets rid of afore-mentioned horrible rhyming schemes.

So there you have it! You all should post your own preffered tracklistings too. I never said that mine's the best. :wink:

Last edited:
Ok, I feel like making my own tracklisting now:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation (I hate when they put a slow song second, need to keep up the tempo)
3. Kite
4. Stuck in a Moment
5. Levitate
6. Summer Rain
7. New York
8. Love You Like Mad
9. Wild Honey
10. When I Look at the World
11. In a Little While
12. Walk On (perfect closer and, yes, Grace is boring)

bsp77 said:
Ok, I feel like making my own tracklisting now:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation (I hate when they put a slow song second, need to keep up the tempo)
3. Kite
4. Stuck in a Moment
5. Levitate
6. Summer Rain
7. New York
8. Love You Like Mad
9. Wild Honey
10. When I Look at the World
11. In a Little While
12. Walk On (perfect closer and, yes, Grace is boring)

Interesting. You know what... Stuck (acoustic) does seem odd sandwiched between BD and Elevation. I'm going to rework mine a bit. :tongue:

Zootlesque said:

Welcome :happy:

I agree about keeping up the tempo, bsp. Overall your tracklisting is pretty good, although I think Love You Like Mad is from the HTDAAB sessions? If it's from ATYCLB then I agree, it should be on there. Anyone know?

AtomicBono said:

Welcome :happy:

I agree about keeping up the tempo, bsp. Overall your tracklisting is pretty good, although I think Love You Like Mad is from the HTDAAB sessions? If it's from ATYCLB then I agree, it should be on there. Anyone know?

The Complete U2 Digital Booklet says that Levitate, Love You Like Mad and Flower Child are ATYCLB and Smile is HTDAAB. However, the Digital Booklet has been proven inaccurate in the past, but I have a later version of the Booklet which had most of the initial mistakes corrected. Not really sure though.:shrug:

Re: Re: Perfecting ATYCLB...?

AtomicBono said:

Levitate, while a good song, just seems unfinished to me. Lyrically at least it makes me cringe, it sounds like Bono is just improvising during an entire verse, which although he does well sometimes (a lot of the lyrics of One were improvised...), come on. "Freedom comes and freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" How bloody much do you love that line, Bono? Followed by "Maybe we can taste it, you and I" Holy shit, Bono eats babies! There goes his career. Perhaps if the lyrics were changed I'd accept its placement...

Just noticed this. :lol: I was thinking similar thoughts today while listening to Levitate.

How about an ATYCLB double album? There are 19 unqiue songs floating around from this period (20 if you count "Falling At Your Feet," which was reportedly considered for the album), everybody seems to think they're all album-worthy, and it's not like they release decent B-sides anymore anyway.

Here's a stab at it:

Disc 1:
  • Beautiful Day
  • Stuck In A Moment
  • Elevation
  • Flower Child
  • Big Girls Are Best
  • Summer Rain
  • Love You Like Mad
  • Stateless
  • New York
  • Grace

Disc 2:
  • The Ground Beneath Her Feet
  • Kite
  • In A Little While
  • Wild Honey
  • Levitate
  • Always
  • Falling At Your Feet
  • When I Look at the World
  • Peace On Earth
  • Walk On

00Kevin said:
I like the studio version of stuck in a moment:( , but besides that it's better.

Hey kevin, you talking to me, bsp or typhoon?

typhoon, the thought of a double album actually crossed my mind too. I just didn't know enough songs from those sessions to fill up 2 discs. :wink:

It's a good idea. After all ATYCLB is kinda like U2's White Album I guess.

typhoon said:
How about an ATYCLB double album? There are 19 unqiue songs floating around from this period (20 if you count "Falling At Your Feet," which was reportedly considered for the album), everybody seems to think they're all album-worthy, and it's not like they release decent B-sides anymore anyway.

Here's a stab at it:

Disc 1:
  • Beautiful Day
  • Stuck In A Moment
  • Elevation
  • Flower Child
  • Big Girls Are Best
  • Summer Rain
  • Love You Like Mad
  • Stateless
  • New York
  • Grace

Disc 2:
  • The Ground Beneath Her Feet
  • Kite
  • In A Little While
  • Wild Honey
  • Levitate
  • Always
  • Falling At Your Feet
  • When I Look at the World
  • Peace On Earth
  • Walk On

I like that :yes:

Zootlesque said:

Hey kevin, you talking to me, bsp or typhoon?

typhoon, the thought of a double album actually crossed my mind too. I just didn't know enough songs from those sessions to fill up 2 discs. :wink:

It's a good idea. After all ATYCLB is kinda like U2's White Album I guess.

I was talking to you. Next time i'll quote to avoid confusion. Sorry!

I like typhoon's idea, but I've already had a version that didn't have the box set stuff and I omitted Always because it's just Beautiful Day done differently.

I have 16 tracks on mine, 11 album tracks plus 3 from Million Dollar Hotel and Summer Rain and Big Girls. I have a 20 track HTDAAB also.

The one song I didn't consider was Don't Take Your Guns to Town, partly because it's a cover, partly because it's not good.

To Zootlesesque, how could you make that many changes and leave Stateless off?

I'd probably leave off 'Always' due to it sounding like an earlier version of 'Beautiful Day' in the chorus chord pattern at least...if they changed the backing but kept the vocals and what sounds like a VOCODER singing 'Alwaaays' (if that is a Vocoder, good on them...) then that'd be cool...

Great tracklisting all the same!

U2DMfan said:
I like typhoon's idea, but I've already had a version that didn't have the box set stuff and I omitted Always because it's just Beautiful Day done differently.
Yeah, I was careful to put them on different discs for that reason. I like both of them for different reasons, though, so I think they're both worth keeping.

"Levitate" and "Always" can't be on the same disc either (much less back-to-back, like I put them) because I just remembered they both have the lyric about bees and flowers. It's the same verse as the baby-eating; you know, I'd just cut that whole verse out. The song's too long anyway.

U2DMfan said:
To Zootlesesque, how could you make that many changes and leave Stateless off?

Well... to be honest, I couldn't quite fit the mood of Stateless anywhere on the album. Half the songs on ATYCLB are upbeat/happy and the other half are very personal/serious. A sexy mood number on the lines of Velvet Dress just doesn't seem to belong with ATYCLB. :shrug:

yep, you've got to account for Bono's lyrical recycling.

Flower Child and Wild Honey had to have came from the same tree also.

and Big Girls is from POP, so we can't really start nitpicking it too much.

Also if Falling at Your Feet is possible, why not Never Let Me Go?
Really just Bono and the MDH band.

Zootlesque said:

Well... to be honest, I couldn't quite fit the mood of Stateless anywhere on the album. Half the songs on ATYCLB are upbeat/happy and the other half are very personal/serious. A sexy mood number on the lines of Velvet Dress just doesn't seem to belong with ATYCLB. :shrug:

I think the song is sort of dark, not sexy at all.

I got no home in this world
Just gravity, luck, and time
I’ve got no home in this world
Just you, and you are not mine

Stateless
Fateless
Stateless
(shut you cold)

There are no colours in your eyes
There’s no sunshine in your sky
There’s no race, only the prize
There is no tomorrow, only tonight