People who don't like these 3 classics? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:34 PM
People who don't like these 3 classics?

I'm just wondering if U2 fans exist that don't like the following 3 songs "every" fan loves (or at least likes). If so, can you explain why (if you dare)?

Where The Streets Have No Names

Bad

With or Without YOu

Old 08-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:34 PM
personally I love them

if anyone is going to use "overplayed" as a reason of why not to like a song I will hunt them down

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:34 PM
love them
Old 08-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
New Yorker

It's just that I can do without them. Streets is amazing live in person, but I think COBL should replace it 4 a few years. Bad - no problems with it. WOWY - There's other stuff in the catalogue that can be alternated with it.

The ONE song U left out that is overkilled is Pride. No mas!

And as for "One".... a stripped-down acoustic version earlier in the setlist would b good 4 the next tour.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:34 PM
WOWY - They should stop the live versions now because they can't do it anymore.

Other than that, all fine.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
WOWY - They should stop the live versions now because they can't do it anymore.

Other than that, all fine.

I'm not talking about live versions (I also don't like the live version of WOWY). Just the album versions.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BANZAI

I'm not talking about live versions (I also don't like the live version of WOWY). Just the album versions.
Right. The studio versions are all excellent.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 AM
The album version of Bad feels flat, but thats because i'd heard it on bootlegs and DVDs before i listen to the album version.

WOWY doesn't do much for me on the album version either. It's nice, but....

Streets rocks.

ISHFWILF is a 'classic' i'm totally over.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

Exactly, ISHFWILF doesn't hold up over long term listening. WOWY, Streets and Bad work because they are vague lyrically and so they apt to have a deeper meaning for a listener. Songs like ISHFWILF, Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.
U2 are not only successful in english-speacking countries, people love their music, Bono's voice, etc.
I don't think that Polish, French, Germans, etc. care of Bono's lyrics too much.
If Vertigo and Beautiful Day won't survive, it will be for different reasons than something related to lyrics.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by guill

U2 are not only successful in english-speacking countries, people love their music, Bono's voice, etc.
I don't think that Polish, French, Germans, etc. care of Bono's lyrics too much.
If Vertigo and Beautiful Day won't survive, it will be for different reasons than something related to lyrics.
I respectfully disagree. It doesn't matter what language the lyrics are in, people naturally to try to figure out the meaning of art. Since, the songs are superficial lyrically, people are less apt to create a connection with the songs. This is the reason alot of so-called classics don't appear on the lists of favorite songs. IMO.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.
Vertigo is, Beautiful Day is not. The verses to Beautiful Day are very well-written in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 PM
oh yes I love all three of these songs

but I think ISHFWILF, One, and Pride belong in these debates as well.

they're just so amazing, like watching Snakes on a Plane as an in-flight movie.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

word. though it's good on the album, I never dug any of the live versions. really, it's one of the worst songs on JT.

As for the three songs listed initially - nope, love 'em all. especially WOWY. sometimes that is my favourite song ever.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:34 AM
I've gone through phases with WOWY. I loved it at first - I wasn't a U2 fan then and hadn't really listened to JT. I did have a cassette, but I would mostly just play the first three songs and then rewind it.
Then I fell in love with the whole album, and I stopped liking the three singles so much because I'd heard them too often. Familiarity does breed contempt. RTSS, Exit, One Tree Hill, and BTBS were my favourites.
Then I got to the point where the whole album was equally familiar to me, and also I'd seen that documentary about the making of JT, so I began to appreciate WOWY anew. And I loved it again.

Streets to me was always better live (not that I've seen a live show except on video) - I'm still in "heard it too much" mode to be in love with it or ISHFWILF.
Same goes for One and definitely Pride, which was never a favourite of mine.

Bad is just good.

Maybe it's not true for everyone, but overexposure is still the main reason I'll stop liking a song I initially liked. Whether it's the media who overdo it (I cannot stand the super-high-rotation treatment that most radio stations succumb to on the latest obvious hit), or whether it's just me getting sick of my cheap mp3 player having a skewed idea of what "random" means, I'm still capable of getting sick of U2 songs.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Those three are always great. Always. I'd also add Beautiful Day to the list. It's already a classic in my eye. But if you were to put Pride on that list? Can't say I enjoy that one anymore.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

If we're talking live, WOWY has been crap live for ages.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Disciple
Streets is amazing live in person, but I think COBL should replace it 4 a few years.
Streets? Replaced? Have you lost your mind?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #19
Refugee

they are ok, not big fan of bad personally,but have nothing against it
Old 08-05-2006, 07:23 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:

Exactly, ISHFWILF doesn't hold up over long term listening. WOWY, Streets and Bad work because they are vague lyrically and so they apt to have a deeper meaning for a listener. Songs like ISHFWILF, Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.
I disagree with everything single letter you wrote.

Seriously, I find your words rather odd.

"I Still..." holds up VERY well after repeated listening. I'm not even a huge JT fan, but even I still feel this way, almost 20 years after JT was released. There's a reason the song became a huge hit and is still loved in concert.

"Vague lyrically" is a really condescending and a very roundabout compliment. I would say these songs, like just about all of Bono's lyrics, are more open to interpretation. But really, lyrics only go so far - it's the music and passion of these songs. On the album, WOWY is perhaps U2/Bono at their most passionate. In concert, U2 have clearly changed how they perform WOWY. In the JT/R&H era, it was this passionate ballad with roaring Bono vocals. But that gets old fast. The song is open to interpretation and I'd be disappointed if U2 performed it the same way now as they did in 1988. So while WOWY is still this passionate ballad, Bono has made it more soulful, writhing around on stage floor with a woman or dancing slowly with her while singing. The focus shifted away from passionate singing to passionate actions. For this reason, many fans don't like it - they can't see, only hear. They hear the JT era boots and feel U2 aren't as passionate, when that's not true.

This brings my to your comments on lyrics. WOWY is a great example of VERY simple lyrics. You attack "Beautiful Day", which I feel is one of Bono's best lyrical songs as that is open to interpreation (why is it a beautiful day? what happened to that person to have this revelation? what does beautiful day really mean?), yet indirectly imply that WOWY is some lyrical masterpiece. I don't get it. "Beautiful Day" is a song about personal salvation as well as recognizing the beauty in the world as a whole. "Vertigo" is more like WOWY in that the lyrics are "vague", to use your term, but it still open to interpretation. Who is dizzy and why? Who is being saved and by whom? Plus, "Vertigo" is just a great rocking song. The best lyrics in the world won't work if the song doesn't inspire people. Great music can overcome simpler lyrics (not that I find any lyrics here "simple"), but great lyrics rarely overcome uninspiring music.

An outstanding song will always remain popular in concert. Just look at "Discotheque" - it originally captured the public's attention, but very quickly faded. People still love the hook, but this song just doesn't get the crowd roaring. In contrast, "Streets", "WOWY", "One", Beautiful Day", "Bad" and "Vertigo" do. So whether you prefer the album version, an old live version or a recent live version, these songs will remain classics with fans.