People don't like Bono???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2phan

The Fly
As many of you fine people may know, Bono asked us how we can make poverty history, and we replied using YAHOO ANSWERS.

2 months later, I'm just reading through these answers, and stumbled onto a disturbing observation...not everyone loves Bono like we do!!!

These people believe he's a hypocrite, a rich man unwilling to share his billions, doing it all for the publicity, yadda yadda, so on.

Of course all of us fans know better, because we know Bono more than most people. We know what's he done, why he's doing it, and what things he will continue to accomplish.

It doesn't bother Bono that a lot of people don't like him, he's not trying to be liked by everyone, he's working for the poor people who need his voice.

HOWEVER, it bothers the HECK out of me that so many people are so apathetic and dismiss his ideas and efforts, without having much background knowledge of the AIDS, poverty, etc...crisis.

Yes, I'm biased. I like Bono, the man and the music. A lot. Not like hero or god worship, but I wish there was more people like him in the world. I'm just so peeved and disappointed at the world...

Grrr. Any thoughts? and I go back to my English homework...

It wasn't surprising to me in the least. If you're rich and famous, people will go out of their way to take the piss out of you. If you're rich and famous, and have a charitable cause attached to your name, it goes doubly so. Even more so on the internet, where people can hide behind their (near total) anonymity.

And hell, I know U2 fans that don't like Bono (or at least pretend not to).

What people forget is that he's made his millions, he doesn't actually have to do any of his campaigning if he didn't want to.

It's not as if he needs to campaign to give the band publicity - they've already made it.

So I don't doubt his integrity.

If he decided tomorrow not to do it any more, the same people would critisise him for turning his back on the issues.

It's just ignorance that's all, but the worlds full of it.

Whether or not Bono's efforts will actually make a real difference in the long run is another question though - somehow I doubt it.

I know that its a sin against humanity itself but you'll find that the majority of people dislike Bono, not sure about in the USA but it is the case in England.
Horrible isn't it. I've spent my adult life defending the B-Man against his detractors!
Its getting worse IMO, his seemingly endless work for the worlds poor combined with his increasing commercial ventures and connections with the world of finance, the Ipod deal, the move to Holland to escape paying tax in Ireland, his "friendships" with major capitalists and Bush and Blair mean he is one hell of a target for detractors. He does appear to have taken his eye off the ball a bit music wise and until he sorts this out it's going to be hard for even me to defend him so much in the future.

Most people who blast him for being a hypocrite don't understand the gravity of the situation in that if he emptied his own personal bank account to help Africa it wouldn't do all that much. He's trying to bring about a sea change rather than throwing money only at the problem. These people are generally, totally ignoramt of the situation. And there are a LOT of them.

If Bono did nothing, he'd just be a spoiled rockstar. This way, he's trying to make a difference. That's all he can do.

If people can't see the simplicity of that, then screw 'em.

This and you have some real knob headed moronic celebrities who are good at running off at the mouth and turning hoardes of people against the celebrity activists in general.

thrillme said:
There are U2 fans who don't like Bono. People might just like Edge, or the music, and want Bono to stop blabbing.

I can never imagine myself not liking Bono, but I do wish he would stop blabbing!!!!!!!!

An Cat Gav said:

I can never imagine myself not liking Bono, but I do wish he would stop blabbing!!!!!!!!

:lol: all i wanna hear is One, not "Cell phones...are dangerous things. Cell phones have power... cell phones...anyone got a cell phone?.."

Originally posted by U2DMfan
I mean, honestly, he's a walking cliche.

:lmao:

But seriously now, I was surprised that this surprised you. If it's not too prudish of me, how old are you U2phan?

It's really a general rule. The bigger you become, the more people that will hate you. If you want to see some very unfair comments about U2, read the Guiness's Rockopedia entry for U2. It's incredibly scathing for a book which is only supposed to outline the bands history, influence etc.

U2DMfan said:
Most people who blast him for being a hypocrite don't understand the gravity of the situation in that if he emptied his own personal bank account to help Africa it wouldn't do all that much. He's trying to bring about a sea change rather than throwing money only at the problem. These people are generally, totally ignoramt of the situation. And there are a LOT of them.

If Bono did nothing, he'd just be a spoiled rockstar. This way, he's trying to make a difference. That's all he can do.

If people can't see the simplicity of that, then screw 'em.

This and you have some real knob headed moronic celebrities who are good at running off at the mouth and turning hoardes of people against the celebrity activists in general.

:up:

at least he's doing SOMETHING. I really don't get why everyone hates him so much. The bottom line is he's trying to help people. He's doing what he believes in. what the hell's wrong with that? If people don't want to hear about Africa, big deal. Get over it.

U2DMfan said:

He does need to shut up though.
I mean, honestly, he's a walking cliche.

hard to admit, but it is becoming true.

he's still the man though. but ya, people really hate Bono.

So what? Don't they say that you can tell a man's greatness by the amount of his enemies?
I don't think that I could ever be distracted or irritated in my believes and my love for someone only because other people don't like this person, simply based on their personal opinion and/or jealousy or whatever?
He's Bono, simply, a unique, outstanding personality, and very famous. He's the perfect target for criticism, and I don't think he cares too much about it.

last unicorn said:
He's the perfect target for criticism, and I don't think he cares too much about it.

"am i buggin you? cause i do mean to bug you"

I totally agree.

In his speeches he isn't saying "look how awesome I am", what he is doing is trying to get us involved. He is calling upon each of us to respond to this emergency. He never said he could take on the issue himself, and I don't think he wants to. His hope is that everybody who hears his message will be inspired and moved by his words and his experience, and take their part in helping people.

There, I've said my piece. I also wanted to post after last unicorn because we both obviously have very good taste in movies
:wink:

Most of the people I've met who just plain don't like him don't actually know anything about him. I don't preach at people because who they like and for what reasons is not my concern, but when people start asking me questions, they tend to come around. For example, my future in-laws always talked about Bono like he was a big fat hypocrite - some rich dude who'd never go out of his way to practice what he preached. Then they got to hear a speech of his and called me to say they were thoroughly impressed. :shrug:

those who watch/read the news once a month and/or uber-hipsters who think anything "big" is "evil" tend to hate bono with a passion.

i recall talking to a girl at a bar, probably exactly a year ago to the day. u2 was on the jukebox (gee i wonder who played it) and she made a comment on how she liked u2 but hates bono 'cause he talks too much, spend your own money stop trying to get mine, yadda yadda yadda. later in the conversation, and this is the reason why i actually remember this conversation a year on, i do believe she responded to a comment i made with something along the lines of "what hurricaine?"

she was such a smrt lady

i dont like Bono

i like his voice..his albums..

howmuch I wish he stop speaking about Africa, poverty, AIDS..

As a person...I like poverty to go - everyone having education, shelter and all such stuff......but the way Bono goes about it...it looks cheap to me..

**********runs for cover*************

AcrobatMan said:

**********runs for cover*************

no need, everyone has a right to their opinion.

i admire what he does, but it's taking too much time up from his regular day job. and he's bringing it in to his regular day job too much, the Vertigo tour had far too many speeches.

i mean, the whole band gets pissed at him sometimes, so it's obviously going to effect the fans as well.....

I deeply admire his work , but can I say i like the guy?

I cant say if I do or dont, I never have met the bloke.

From what I have seen , I love his smart arse attitude, but I hate that he wears $300.00 sunglasses ( which would feed a family for 6 months) and then says make poverty history.. shouldn't he lead by example?

If i ever met him I would tell him so also.

I have to agree with most of the posts on this subject that he has to stop talking.. I used to love ONE , now Im dreading hearing it live cause i know i will have the mobile phone action with it.

I used to listen to what he said but since the Oz leg of tour was cancelled , he goes on Tv and says new dates will be released in a few days or week, so I cant believe what he says.

As I said my views are based on the media , cause thats all I have to go on.

Would be a interesting person to meet though for sure

RademR said:

i mean, the whole band gets pissed at him sometimes, so it's obviously going to effect the fans as well.....

Do they really get pissed? I read this all the time on message boards, but I've never seen anything to really substantiate it. I'm not saying I can't believe it's true, but the only times I've heard Bono or the band say something of this nature, they were smiling/laughing, obviously saying it in jest.

ya, you might be right, but i can see larry and edge getting mad at Bono, Adam probably enjoys the longer vacation :wink:

I remember Bono saying Edge didn't talk to him for a week or so after the first time he met with George Bush

RademR said:
ya, you might be right, but i can see larry and edge getting mad at Bono, Adam probably enjoys the longer vacation :wink:

well i have heard that the edge and larry are perfectionists, and get annoyed with bono's lack of desire to rehearse

Chizip said:

well i have heard that the edge and larry are perfectionists, and get annoyed with bono's lack of desire to rehearse

Yeah, I heard that too, but Bono not liking to rehearse just means he prefers not to rehearse. If he wasn't campaigning elsewhere, he'd probably spend more time in France and still not rehearse...

RademR said:
I remember Bono saying Edge didn't talk to him for a week or so after the first time he met with George Bush

I remember Bono talking about that also and I believe in the same conversation he also said that he has taken alot of pies in the face for his activism, and in fact he learning to like the taste of those pies... or something like that.

Also, Bono as we all know, can charm the pants off anyone. This I believe is part of his gift. He is using that gift to invade the enemy camp (Bush, Blair) to get to the root of the problem to FIX the problem. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Remember Jesse Helms? That was a frickin miracle! He is a diplomat and a very successful one that has gotten the G8 to forgive the debt of 18 impoverished nations so far. I say, if you must meet with the devil to do God's work, than go for it man! Kick some major devil ass!! :) :)
Bono: Sometimes misunderstood by a few, always LOVED by millions more.:rockon:

Celebrities are easy targets.

Besides there have probably been people he's pissed off in 1987 with his speech-fying, or 1991 with the posturing and the shades, or waving the white flag in 1983. Being a lead singer in a band the size of U2, not even counting his other "day job" adventures, it's part of the teritorry. Add the statements as epic as their music and him being outspoken as it is...

It's funny though, if he was your average "rock star" doing the rock and roll lifestyle with booze, babes half his age and drugs no one would say a thing.

I agree with all that has been said in the first 4/5 posts...
I don't knwo what the point is. It wouldn't surprise me if someone told me that they find Bono exagerated in stage, those dramatic and theatral moves and speeches and attitude, it'd be fine if someone told me he dislikes Bono because of that of because he thinks he screams too much.

But it's stupid and kind of blind to claim that Bono's an egoist and hypocrite rockstar that uses politik to spread popularity and make even more millions that he doesn't even share.
What they tend to forget is that Bono gives his face, his name (the band's name and credibility) and his image to join those campaigns and to try to make something different.
Would Larry allow that if he and the band didn't share those beliefs too? Surely not!

I'm glad that Bono thinks that way, despite I think that he involves too much in those projects, but that's okay because he believes "it makes a difference". Bono is not the kind of artist that shuts up and sing. That's not art. The artist doesn't sit and sing and compose and make a few statements about how war is wrong in the press. Bono instead of that acts and those who criticise them should be the ones who should shut up, or at least make something more usefull as he does.

Back
Top Bottom