People don't like Bono???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono doesn't need anyone here. He doesn't need the MTV/VH1 crowd to validate him. (even when he says they are still playing U2 videos, rare as it is)
If you hear him saying the same thing over and over, it's because he knows this is a fast food, music and movie video kind of world.
He IS! a traveling salesman who is trying to sell an idea to the world that there is something better to strive for. If you don't believe it - then so be it. He and the other's, are, at least trying to make a difference, and they don't need you. (if in fact, you don't want to be part of it.) There are plenty of people who do know what's really happening and support him, not for his music, but for his cause.
No one is twisting anyone's arm here, so why are some of you so hell bent on knocking him down.. Get over it already..:eyebrow:

It makes me laugh when people talk about Bono being a walking cliche' machine.

Here's a challenge: record yourself in conversation (every one) for the next three weeks. Then amplify it to tabloid proportions.

The talk around office water coolers, taxi cabs, grocery stores, sports announcement booths, religious pulpits and yes U2 fan forums smacks of a soundrack to a coma.

LOL, there are people who don't like Bono? I don't see how that's a shock. Of course people aren't going to like some guy in rock star shades sitting around with world leaders, discussing politics and trying to be taken seriously. I think people are tired of celebrities in general pushing their causes (even if their hearts are in the right place). That's cynical human nature for you. For example, did anyone see the "I Am African" ad with Gwyneth Paltrow? It was downright laughable, so I can definitely see how someone like Bono would irritate people in the same way.

Anyway, I completely agree with the person who said that Bono seems to be trying to please everyone now, careful not to step on any toes, wearing his heart on his sleeve. I think it's great that he wants to spend his "fame currency" on noble causes, because again, I think his heart is in the right place... However, I just think that "money" is running out, so to speak. Bono is first and foremost a musician - and I think this other "job" has pretty much taken over. It eats up an enormous amount of his time, affects the band and, like it or not, his image... He's reached the point where he's almost become a caricature of himself.

I just miss the old Bono, who didn't give a shit about who he offended or how he said things. As lame as it sounds, yeah, he just used to be so cool. Stuff like the Popmart "Mothers of the Disappeared" in Chile, Sellafield, SBS, Please, Live Aid and even the Sarajevo link-ups affected me far more than anything he did during the Vertigo tour... because it just seems somehow hollow now, like it doesn't hold water, reaching the point of borderline annoyance. I like Bono, I really do. I'm still a big fan of the guy. He just needs to find that balance again, or give the humanitarian stuff a rest for now and focus on the music - what gives him that "currency" in the first place.

Maybe I shouldn't write incoherent posts at 1 in the morning... lol

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:
I understand what the critics are saying, but could you all give specific examples of Bono's statements coming off as cringe worthy, cheesey ect...?

OK, top of my list would be his quote at one of the Labour Party Conferences where he compared Blair and Brown to Lennon and McCartney. He obviously meant it tongue in cheek but I think it backfired and he was ridiculed in some of the press for it which in part detracted from the message he was trying to get over.
Quotes like "it's sexy to want to change the world" I also find very cheesy. Perhaps it goes down well in some countries but I think in England where people are generally more irreverent it just seems too corny for words and leads to lots of eye rolling.
I also think he comes across sometimes as too sychophantic in some of the tributes he gives to others. I remember he did a tribute to Richard Curtis at an award ceremony last year where it just seemed too gushing and over the top for a British audience whereas the one from Bob Geldof was great.
Having said all that I think many of his quotes are just brilliant but most of them the general public probably don't read or hear -they only see his soundbites. I think he does come across much better in longer interviews such as the Denton one where he can reveal some of his true personality. It would be great if he did a similar one in the UK -I don't think he ever has here but if he did I think it would answer a lot of his critics and show him in a better light -and gain more supprt for his causes.

Geeze, jealousy's a curse, isn't it?! :tsk:

Maybe it's because I don't have a cynical bone in my body :angel: but I cannot for the life of me understand why people can be so critical of Bono for the work that he does. Maybe what he does and what he stands up for makes his detractors feel so small and insecure, because they can't be arsed to do anything worthwhile themselves.

I'm just a fan who will probably never have the pleasure of knowing him personally, but in all the years that I've admired him and followed his career with U2, I'm fairly certain his got his heart in the right place. Of course he's not perfect. I'm glad he's got flaws .. he's a human being, isn't he?

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that he has always felt compelled to make the world a better place and to extend a helping hand to those in need. The fact that he's a mega rock star just means that he can do it on a bigger and grander scale. Fair play to him. But even if he was just a 'normal' guy with a normal job, he'd still have the same desire and the feeling of responsibility to follow a similar path. I can relate to this and that's why I really admire what he does. Maybe it's just a Taurean thing :wink:

Anyway, as far as I know, Bono's always had a big mouth :wink: I hope he never shuts it!

I still don't get all that piss off.
Why would Bono stop and turn around, then shut up being a musician only?
I think that it's not just a question of personal beliefs, it's because he feels heard and he thinks that his actions have been bringing results. If not, he wouldn't push it even furter.
And this works not only for the politics but for the music and for his manerisms too.

dietcokeofevil said:
It makes me laugh when people talk about Bono being a walking cliche' machine.

Here's a challenge: record yourself in conversation (every one) for the next three weeks. Then amplify it to tabloid proportions.

The talk around office water coolers, taxi cabs, grocery stores, sports announcement booths, religious pulpits and yes U2 fan forums smacks of a soundrack to a coma.

It is particularly funny when Zoo TV fanboys hype 24/7 how he was "cool" and moan about the sunglasses and co-related sincerity.

I'm sure all the politicans, economists, activists... etc he meets base all their decisions on whether or not he's wearing his shades.

U2girl said:

I'm sure all the politicans, economists, activists... etc he meets base all their decisions on whether or not he's wearing his shades.

They probably don't - but can't you see how it might seem a little silly? They're discussing issues like Africa, the AIDs crisis and he's sitting there wearing colored rock star shades (indoors). LOL. I don't know. Some people might not take that seriously.

Back
Top Bottom