People are starting to hate Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bono supports abortion? Well there goes 25% of my respect for him.

It's funny how he says he's so concerned about the weakest, most helpless people dying, when in reality he supports the deaths of the most helpless innocent people. He supports the death of innocent, unborn babies.

I think alot of people choose to be completely ignorant to all of Bono's hypocricies. He talks about God and the spirit, turns around says F***ing brilliant!". He rambles on about helpess lives eing destroyed while sit back and do nothing, then rallies behind the right for women to murder millions of innocent babies. He talks about the Bible and christian life and goes and gets drunk.

I think people love his music but they get so fed up with his hypocrisy that they're disguted by him. I feel this way sometimes. And don't blame me for it because I want so much to be able to agree with him and support him, but sometimes I just can't. Especially now that I know he supports abortion. Abortion makes me more angry than pretty much any other issue I can think of. It's the murder of millions of innocent babies. How he can call himself a christian and support this is beyond me. I Don't understand and I'm extremely disappointed.

shart...mentioning that you think its the woman's right to choose once in a 1989 article hardly qualifies as "supporting" anything. U2 nor Bono have never played any woman's choiice benefits or publicly supported any organization. Personally...I find your posts judgemental at times..perhaps I should call your beliefs into question as well... probably not..I don't know you, I don't have that right. .Personally...I do think abortion is wrong...but instead of getting on a high horse and decrying it...we need to make the system more condusive to making abortion a less attractive choice....

Well, why do you think abortion is wrong? Do you think it's killing? Do you think it's murder?

If so, I don't see why you should respect someone who supports it. I also don't see how you can say it shouldn't be illegal.

The Bible clearly says that abortion is murder. That fact that Bono believes a woman should have the right to choose to kill says something about him in my opinion.

Moonlit_Angel said:
:sigh:...

Angela

Indeed.

It appears as if almost every thread at the moment either mentions Michael Moore or abortion. And the latter is an excellent word to get the thread closed...

:|

Are we being infiltrated by some type of Pro-life organization that wants us to start boycotting U2? This is getting ridiculous, how are so many threads turning into this?

I think alot of people choose to be completely ignorant to all of Bono's hypocricies. He talks about God and the spirit, turns around says F***ing brilliant!". He rambles on about helpess lives eing destroyed while sit back and do nothing, then rallies behind the right for women to murder millions of innocent babies. He talks about the Bible and christian life and goes and gets drunk.

And now we're getting preached to what it means to be a Christian...lovely.:|

Popmartijn said:

Indeed.

It appears as if almost every thread at the moment either mentions Michael Moore or abortion. And the latter is an excellent word to get the thread closed...

:|

Please, Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And now we're getting preached to what it means to be a Christian...lovely.:|

But moreover, I see a problem with your judgmental attitude toward Bono. But you aren't alone. Despite U2's numerous statements of faith and unflagging support of humanitarian efforts and social justice, the band members and Bono in particular have regularly been the objects of derision inside the church because some Christians don't like their lifestyles.

Look, can we get off this jag of downgrading a guy for some four-letter words and a little drinking, when basically he's spent most of his life in the excessive world of rock 'n' roll standing up for bedrock Christian principles such as caring for the impoverished and oppressed.

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that when judgment day comes, the Almighty will be a lot more interested in what we did for the least of these than how many times we dropped the F-bomb. The shame is that in the duration of U2's career, the band has done a lot more than the mainstream church has done to lead people to a concern for their fellow humans.

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3393

A great read, that article. Even for non-Christians. :)

C ya!

Marty

I hear alot of sarcasm from you guys but I'm not seeing any logical debate.

The Bible says abortion is murder. I can show you the verses. Why won't you consider the fact that maybe Bono is genuinely wrong?

You need to e willing to question him too. It's definitely questionable.

P.S. I've been referred to that atu2 article so many times already.

I'm not debating what's right and wrong, I'm debating wheather or not Bono has credability. I'm wondering why he contradicts what he says he follows. Why does he say he believes the Bible and then say he believes in something totally contradictory to the Bible?

Believe me, after some of the cheap shots I've been ducking lately - I can appreciate someone who is willing to come forward and risk rejection by others for supporting the VALIDITY of the things I say.

Jamila it's not about not about coming forward and risking rejection , sometimes you just have to let it go and walk away . Bono will fight to the death for that what he believes, he takes it on the chin , much as him it's often difficult to keep my big irish mouth in check and take the high road.

I'm not beyond thinking that Bono might often be wrong and I'm not beyond holding him up to something I don't agree with.

I also think that the guys spirtuality as much as well try to pick at apart and put it under a microscope is his business. I really havent seen him out there trying to push his beliefs on anyone , he gives opinions but he is not selling any religion or anything I think he would expect everybody to try and figure it out for themselves. And as the Bible goes thats really up to individual interpretation on what the Bible actually says for each of us.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
I'm not debating what's right and wrong, I'm debating wheather or not Bono has credability. I'm wondering why he contradicts what he says he follows. Why does he say he believes the Bible and then say he believes in something totally contradictory to the Bible?

All Christian denominations interpret the Bible differently. This has been done for ages. Some American Christian denominations were created in the 1800's and are relatively new. I don't think Bono is contradicting anything; he has either not spent time pondering the specific scripture you are referring to or interprets it differently.

I don't know much, but doesn't the Bible also say "Judge not lest ye be judged?"

With some of the damning I've read, I'd really hate for some of you to meet me on a night on the town and then have a conversation with me in a professional manner. I drink and I curse, but hell, I'm a good person, and I think I'll do fine in whatever afterlife is waiting for me because I've done right by people and don't judge them.

My grandmother considers herself a hardline Christian. She preaches at, insults and damns everyone around her that isn't part of her denomination. It's torn the family apart. What's hilarious is that she doesn't realize that by her ugly, judgemental nature, she is doing exactly the opposite of what her Bible says to her -- but somewhere, she rationalizes it all. :shrug:

Interviewer: ...you never speak out on issues like abortion, Israel and the Palestinians, the death penalty, AIDS, gay rights. Let's talk about some of those. How do you feel, for instance, about abortion?

Bono: I just have my own ideas. I believe that it's a woman's right to choose. Absolutely.

Interviewer: Have you ever talked about that in concert? Or in any context?

Bono: No.

Interviewer: And that is the kind of thing that might alienate some fans....

Bono: If I had been inspired to write a song about it, they would get it in the eyes, just like (supporters of apartheid) do on "Silver and Gold." I will admit that we are attracted to issues that unify people rather than divide them.

Whelp, there's no doubt about it, Bono is pro-choice... no caveats about 'health of the mother' 'child of rape'.. nothing... He is 'absolutely' pro-choice.

Cheeze-whiz! Alright, I like the little quote boxes, so here's another one:

shart1780 said:
So Bono supports abortion? Well there goes 25% of my respect for him.

Well shart, this is obviously an issue you feel VERY strongly about, yet you must feel more strongly about your idol-worship of Bono, because upon hearing of his pro-choice stance, you ought to have dissed the guy completely. It's like the lay Catholic outcry against Church leaders who say that it's wrong for Catholics to vote for pro-choice candidates. The church leaders are right - you can't have it both ways... I guess people just like their own flavor of hypocrisy - well, they better duck the stones being tossed BACK at them.

But since I have a permanent case of hoof-in-mouth disease, I can't resist one more Bono/abortion quote:

George Carlin: Here's a group of musical vermin whose mother's we wished had a health plan involving abortion: Singers with one name. Bono, Sting, Jewel, Tiffany. They're too important to have a last name. What a crock of censored! Get a last censored name. Here's a two word name for you; Pretentious Cocksucker! Huh, how do you like that? It's bad enough the music sucks, BONO! Besides, without a last name you can't find out where they live to throw a censored bomb through their window.

}:)~

Edit: Censored George Carlin, he's a bit intense...

Last edited:
The bible also states that women should be completely subservient to their husbands, and often states some pretty harsh punishments for crimes that most would view as rather barbaric today.

Here's a thought: not everything written in the Bible is the absolute truth. See also: the Bible has been translated and adapted countless times through the ages, many times by people with different views than those before them.

Hey Diemen, what you are talking about is laws from the old testament which were written those times.....back then believers had to go through all sorts of routines to seek forgiveness of sins...and there were so many stringent laws for poeple to live to.
Since Christ fullfilled the prophecies... we can now live by what the New Testament says. Yet, the old testament is still a good base for many things...and many stories in it are still relevant to us today. Without using the old testament as a foundation....the New Testament is'nt as meaningful.

I'm sorry for freaking out. The abortion issue is just something that gets me going. Anyways...

I think it's extremely important that we question people who have such a huge influence on christians. Bono definitely does, but he also does alot of questonable things which I think SHOULD be talked about.

The Bible says life begins at conception. Ok that's simple enough, right? As soon as the sperm fertilizes the egg it's concieved. In Job it talks about how children are fashioned in their mother's womb. In Psalms it says how God watches us even inside our mother's womb and knows us before we're born. In Jeremiah he talks about how him and God had a relationship even before he was born!!! Luke was filled with the holy spirit before he was born. He moved in his mother's stomach and she was filled with the holy spirit. In Psalms God says children are a heritage from the Lord, and that the fruit of the womb is a reward. In Amos God says he will punish the people if Ammon because they ripped the children from mothers' wombs. God has a plan for unborn babies. You can't deny after reading all this stuff that the Bible is against abortion. If God says he knows us and loves us and has a relationship with us even before we're born then God obviously cares about unborn babies' lives. These things can't be overlooked.

Supporting it is just as bad. The Bible says it's better for a man to tie a stone around his neck and throw himself in a river than to cause a non-christian to sin. I know that may sound exagerated, but even if you tone it down a bit it's pretty darn harsh. People who give abortions are even worse. In Deuteronomy God says that the man who is paid to take an innocent life is cursed.

Aborting a baby that will be disabled in some way is no better. In Leviticus God says not to curse the deaf or put a stumbling lock before the blind. In Isaiah God says we are ALL the work of God's hands. That includes disabled or deformed or retarded babies.

In Matthew and Luke, God even says children conceived through incest are a part of Christ's lineage.

I think I've said enough about abortion. I think you'd have to be blind to not be able to see how important unborn babies are to God.

Now, you may be saying "you're judging again!!!". You're right, I am. You're probably thinking "you say you're a christian yet you're judging others!! What's up with that??". I get that alot because I like to call things on people. I don't go around bashing people, calling them names, telling them they're going to hell or anything like that.

It's kind of funny though, how, while accusing me of judging, people will call me hateful, unloving, hypocritical... blah blah blah. Isn't that a little judgmental? I'd say so.

But I still judge, which is bad right? According to the Bible I'd be evil for judging right? Wrong. Christians take these verses completely out of context all of the time. Take a look at this:

John 7:24
"Do not judge according to appearance, BUT JUDGE WITH RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT."

Hmmm... so God's saying you CAN judge with righteous judgment. I'd say the Bible is righteous, wouldn't you? I think my reasons are righteous. I love U2. I love these guys. They have great music, great personalities... they're just great guys. I want them to do the right thing. But on some issues they simply aren't. Alot of christians just look past this though.

Matthew 7:1-5
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

God clearly says don't judge if you don't want to be judged. Don't confront your brother in Christ about his problems when you have the exact same problem. I sin too, but I don't drink, I don't cuss, I don't believe in abortion. Christians tell me all the time that I shouldn't confront them about their sins because I sin too. Well duh, of course I do. Using that logic no one should ever confront anyone about anything. That's not what that scripture means.

And finally:

Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with fruitless deeds of darkness but RATHER EXPOSE THEM.

I think that one speaks for itself.

:up: to Diemen's post.

HelloAngel said:
I don't know much, but doesn't the Bible also say "Judge not lest ye be judged?"

Indeed it does.

Course, then again, I'm curious as to why we're using the Bible to discuss this issue as is-not everyone is Christian and not everyone follows the Bible. So not to sound rude or anything, but what that book says about abortion, or any other issue, for that matter, isn't going to mean much to some people.

I do just want to bring up one idea regarding this whole thing, one that's slightly related to what this thread originally was about, and then I'm backing out and not debating this issue any further. Perhaps one reason why Bono may be pro-choice is because of what's going on in Africa-there's women who are having more kids than they can handle caring for, and sometimes this happens through less than desireable means, and then there's all the sickness and stuff that spreads there, so if a woman in an area surrounded with all that stuff feels that abortion might be the only choice she can make at that time or something, well... That might sound cold to some of you, but it's just something to throw out there, a reason why he might feel the way he does. :shrug:. And that's all I'm gonna say on this aspect of it all.

I'm also curious as to why so many threads here have kept somehow winding up on this subject as of late...it's a mystery :scratch:.

Angela

if the next post in here is going to sound like bible class (not referring to anyone's post in particular btw) I'll close this thread for getting too far off topic and not belonging in this forum

shart1780 said:
I'm sorry for freaking out. The abortion issue is just something that gets me going. Anyways...

I think it's extremely important that we question people who have such a huge influence on christians. Bono definitely does, but he also does alot of questonable things which I think SHOULD be talked about.

Not all Christian denominations interpret the Bible that way. I checked the website on the issue for my denomination and it states that women have a right to choose. You can be a Christian and believe that a woman has a right to choose.

Aside from that, this is one quote that Bono made over his career. It's not like he's making a big stance on the issue. The issue that is his passion is to bring aid to the poor & needy.

shart1780 said:
Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with fruitless deeds of darkness but RATHER EXPOSE THEM.

I think that one speaks for itself.

You know, I think it's funny how you quote all this scripture and then post your interpretations of it as if they are fact. There is no one correct interpretation of the Bible, and just because it's written in the Bible doesn't mean it's fact.

As far as exposing fruitless deeds, it would seem some are more interested in doing that than praising or joining in the truly amazing deeds done to better the world. Bono has done an amazing amount of work for the benefit of humanity, and here we have some people questioning his "credibility" because they don't agree with one of his opinions? If you have any questions about his credibility, ask the people in Africa who are starving and dying from diseases that are preventable. Ask those who he is fighting for whether he has any credibility. In terms of doing Christian deeds, Bono has far more credibility than probably most religious people I've met.

It frightens me how narrow-minded some people become in the name of religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom