People are starting to hate Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If "these" people who are supposely hating Bono because of his views, knew a fraction as much about world proverty and the prevention of communicable dieases, as he does, they wouldn't be so inclined to "hate" him for his efforts. Not to mention the fact that they probably don't vote, don't contribute to any charitable organization or have even a opinion on anything else that really matters. In this respect, "these" people don't matter.

for me... bono is loosing credibility (is that the word??), i mean, one thing is hearing what he says on his songs and stuff, but another is seeing him talking about politics.

if you ask me (well yeah, i know you're not asking me) i don't like to see bono with that people and talking about politics and charity and that stuff. but that doesn't mean i don't respect him. besides he's doing what he wants and he has the right to do it... is he doing the right thing?? i don't know.

i don't think that people who "hates" bono is just because they're jealous or stupid... if someone doesn't like U2 it doesn't mean that person is stupid.. I think is hard to see a "celebrity" talking about relevant topics and people doesn't like to see their future in the hands of a rock singer...

Being a fan doesn't mean you gotta support the idol in everything he does. Bono has goals, and he's going after them, he doesn't care about what people think, or talk about him, he just goes after what he wants, and that's what makes me like him more!
He's not those kinds that sit, get a tea and say "Yeah, the world is going through some bad" , he says that, and tries to change some of it, and I admire his courage a lot.

Even thou he might do some shits like every human being, I still love him, no matter what. And I'll support him going after his goals!

I think that all those "people" who hate Bono due to his political leanings, his talks of charity, and his "telling us who to vote for" should have said something when Bono started this..............................which was only from the very beginning of U2.

In fact he was much more outspoken in the 80's and if anything I would have thought people would be upset with him for becoming so bipartisan as of late...but I think most of us understand why.

Starting to hate Bono? Spin ran a cover back in 1988 called "Hating U2." People have always either loved/hated Bono. This is nothing new. All that matters is the album anyway.

Yeah, I know all of you keep saying how he's always had his haters, but this is different because these ppl are fans who all of a sudden just now started hating him. They didn't hate him for Live Aid or Jubilee.

Well I had an interesting encounter today at work. I was talking to a person about the DNC and asked her if she had seen Bono there.

Another co-worker (a staunch Bush Supporter) heard me and came out of his office to say, "Yeah I saw him, and I heard him say on CNN that he's also going to the the RNC. He's a pretty cool guy."

The bottom line is that some people will dislike him for what he is doing while others will actually start to like him for standing up for what he believes in.

I sincerely believe that Bono is a liberal at heart, but he's now smart enough to know that aligning himself with one side will not benefit the cause he's supporting.

isabelle_guns said:
In terms of using "God" in U2 songs to get respect, I think that is bullshit. If U2 believe in god and faith than they should sing about it like every other bands that sings about what they believe in. It is up to the people to listen to it or not.

Agreed. Also agree with this:

Originally posted by isabelle_guns
I think that Bono tries too hard because this issue means so much to him and he has a passion for the topic at hand. We have all been passionate about something at one point or another so I can see where he is coming from.

Exactly. I know there's things I talk about ad nauseum, and I'm just waiting for the day when family and friends tell me to just shut up already, they get it, I feel strongly about this or that, blah, blah, blah...:p. I can definitely sympathize with Bono on that.

Angela

BluberryPoptart said:
Yeah, I know all of you keep saying how he's always had his haters, but this is different because these ppl are fans who all of a sudden just now started hating him. They didn't hate him for Live Aid or Jubilee.

Well their loss.

Maybe Bono over takes this "power" he got as being famous to do some else stuff outside the band...
I don't know... It's like... take what's good for you, and leave the bad...

Ehh. I'm pretty sure Bono is aware that his activism, his mingling with political figures, etc. is hurting his image in the eyes of the general public (i.e. people who, unlike us, don't analyse his every move). I think he continues despite that, because he truly believes in what he is doing. I say more power to him for that.

I'm probably way off, though. :shrug:

It seems bizarre to me that a celebrity would have to worry about tarnishing his or her public image if they try to do something to help people who are suffering. It's a sad commentary on the world today.

:sigh: Well, all I will add to this is, people are passionate about politics, so they will feel strongly about issues and causes, etc. Bono, is definetly one of them, and as he 'plays both sides of the field' for More focus on Aides, Debt reduction, etc.., I respect him for it. I have not always agreed with Bono, but at least he does not sit around complaining about things in the world, and makes no move to do anything! And I agree, Bono is not writting about God, Christianity to make himself More popular! It doesn't work that way!! And to blue-this has happened to the Band and Bono more than you know, fans leave, fans stay. then there are those that Just discovered them..go figure? :huh:

BluberryPoptart said:

Why does this matter so much to you? Why does it matter if someone "hates" someone they don't even know?

I haven't read this whole thread, but I will say that my wife, who is always on the fence when it comes to Bono's preaching and causes, is thoroughly impressed with his tenacity on the AIDS and debt relief efforts.

People who can't stand Bono's cause tend to stand in two corners:

1. Those who have always hated him

2. People who have much more conservative values and want to know why some "Irish guy" is so involved in our politics

Now, I am completely basing this on my dealings with Bono bashers, but I don't know of any others I run into.

Bono is the real deal. He's not some "rock star" who's making a half-assed attempt for a cause. He's in this for the long run.

This is nothing new. It's been going on for years.
It's the " Bono shut up already. I don't
wanna hear your politics, just sing a song"
crowd.
You know, entertain me Bono; just dont
make any long speeches, etc. :)

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:
I haven't read this whole thread, but I will say that my wife, who is always on the fence when it comes to Bono's preaching and causes, is thoroughly impressed with his tenacity on the AIDS and debt relief efforts.

People who can't stand Bono's cause tend to stand in two corners:

1. Those who have always hated him

2. People who have much more conservative values and want to know why some "Irish guy" is so involved in our politics

Now, I am completely basing this on my dealings with Bono bashers, but I don't know of any others I run into.

Bono is the real deal. He's not some "rock star" who's making a half-assed attempt for a cause. He's in this for the long run.

Well... not necessarily. I have "much more conservative values" but I'm glad Bono's doing something. I can understand why, should it matter that he's a rock star? If you feel something is just not right, I think you, whatever you do with your life, have a right to say so.

Why should an Irish rock star be doing this, well he was asked for help from the people who started the Jubilee 2000 work. Think Jamie Drummond? was the head person. He asked for Bono's help with this movement to drop the debts of the poorest nations to the richest, based on the Old Testament concept, every 40 years, all debts are forgiven.

That right there, will lose him popularity in some people's minds. "Oh great, some Bible-thumper again telling me what to do..."

I know people who are upset with Chris Martin, for saying for Americans to vote for Kerry. People don't want to be told to vote for someone, who isn't from that country. I think people who aren't U2 fans, see or that Bono is at the DNC, automatically think he's there to support Kerry.

Bono is there to make sure the goals of DATA are not ignored, which also why he's going to the RNC. He's not there to support either candidate, but to make sure whoever may become the President, or remains in Bush's case, will not ignore what Bono and DATA/Jubilee have been working on for these past few years.

Call me crazy, in my own opinion, my belief, I think maybe God's using Bono to do this stuff, drop the debt/Jubilee, DATA. Bono brings up the "Catholic guilt" thing at times. If Bono didn't become famous by the success of U2, would world leaders be sitting with him, discussing world issues? Unfortunately the way the world is, "famous" people have gotten a kind of currency, that allows them to do things, not everyone else can do.

But just watch, people will hate Bono for going to the RNC too. He'll probably lose a lot "street cred" among the music industry. Look into all the musicians who want Kerry to be elected President.

Damned if you, damned if you don't, is right.

BluberryPoptart said:
Anybody see the point here without getting angry?

No. Where were you in the eighties? I don't see any difference. The only thing is that back then there weren't any message boards or forums that you could use "to prove" your assumption.

BTW: Pearl Jam was hated by "a lot of" people when they performed their anti-Bush song on stage and Vedder smashed the Bushmask on the ground. The tour was a success. So I really don't see the point you are trying to make.

Oh, somebody trying to make a point here ?
:no::lol:

Joy to all (also to Bono)

Last edited:
thrillme said:

Bono is there to make sure the goals of DATA are not ignored, which also why he's going to the RNC. He's not there to support either candidate, but to make sure whoever may become the President, or remains in Bush's case, will not ignore what Bono and DATA/Jubilee have been working on for these past few years.

Call me crazy, in my own opinion, my belief, I think maybe God's using Bono to do this stuff, drop the debt/Jubilee, DATA. Bono brings up the "Catholic guilt" thing at times. If Bono didn't become famous by the success of U2, would world leaders be sitting with him, discussing world issues? Unfortunately the way the world is, "famous" people have gotten a kind of currency, that allows them to do things, not everyone else can do.

Exactly! :up:

I think he is trying to fulfill a promise he made back in 1986 when he and Ali were in Ethiopia and a father in the camp wanted Bono to take his child, because he knew if the child stayed he would die, but if he gave him away that he would live.
IMO Bono made a promise to himself and God that he would do all that he could to help.

Oh and if people are starting to hate him because he wears shades and gives peace signs..... well he is a rock star. :shrug:
Do they think you have to wear a suit and tie to know what you're talking about? WTF?

My two cents <for what it's worth>.

There will always be two sides pro & con on the Bono issue. In my vast experience in dealing with ppl on the con side of Bono I have learned it is best to let the "haters" hate. Why waste your energy in trying to turn around anothers persons opinion? In the grand scheme of things it just doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

As Martha has already put it so eloquently "tickets" will be easier to get. More importanlty <to this Bono lover> access to Bono get's easier . :wink:

and no I'm not really this shallow but on this topic I am.

Words of wisdom from Bono himself "Don't let the bastards grind ya down"

that is all over,,,,,,,,, lol

Last edited:
Love him or hate him, used to love him but now hate him, whatever - can anyone say the guy's not committed? He's not just spouting off his mouth & telling other people what to do with their time and/or money, he's actually leading by example.

As for those who get their feathers ruffled because Bono turned up at the DNC (to entertain with a song, wasn't it??????) and say this proves he's in cahoots with the enemy - otherwise known as the Democrats - and trying to sway American voters, I say: BS!!

True, Bono is not an American citizen and as such doesn't really hold a place in American politics or elections. However, the man's savvy enough to realize that if he's ever going to make any headway on Drop the Debt he's GOT to work with both of the major political parties in this country. Which is exactly why you've heard & seen Bono meeting with: Democrat Bill Clinton; Republican Sen. Jesse Helms (who is NOT known for being open-minded, but even admitted that Bono brought him to tears with his passion for the subject!); etc, etc, etc. The guy's not picking sides - why should he care who's elected president of the US? Bono's an Irish citizen! But, so long as he stays fresh in the minds of these politicos, his causes will stay fresh in their minds as well. And IMO, that's B's ultimate goal.

You want to hate him for using his position to state his opinion? Fine, but if your REALLLY honest with yourself: who among us wouldn't do the exact same thing? I say, kudos to the man! He knows he's taking the risk of ostracizing people, but he sticks to his guns.... couldn't we all take a lesson from that?

While Bono usually means well, his egotistical nature and lack of humility does lend itself to some resentment. Bono has ego and spine. He is not the goody nice guy harmless type. He's no Eminem or Dennis Rodman either, but he comes off as arrogant to non-U2 fans who don't quite understand his ego. The way Bono carries himself really begs for non-U2 fans to just hate, resent, or be jealous of him. But that doesn't matter as long as it doesn't affect his songwriting.

Cheers,

J

im in DC, and its kind of the opposite in my circles. All my friends that are casual or non-u2 fans always mention how they like what Bono is doing. or "hey, I saw him on the news." Some of that pisses me off, when I talked about u2 or Bono (which is a lot), some people will be like "oh ya, he does all that work in Africa right? Cool man!" I'm like "No, he's a lead singer for the biggest band in the world!"

It's all friends who love u2 who dont like it, they just want him to be a rock star! Sometimes it gets to me also, this album has taken so long to get here in big part because of his African mission. But at the same time I think its great what hes doing. I thought he did a good job distancing himself from the papers and making too many speeches lately, partly because they had to complete the new album but also because before releasing one, you dont want to be over-exposed.

That's why I didnt really like him at the Dem. Convention. Stay out of the press until the new single unless its about stolen CDs or great quotes about the album. But to the people that are really mad at him for it, he is going to be at the Republican convention also so he's showing his traditional bi-partisanship.

I think Jick summed it up very well. Or by the way, all this doesnt matter, as I typed this entry I'm listening to the Red Rocks Concert, their the greatest band of all time

Last edited:
It's not really something that will change our lives, people hating Bono or not, but as we're fans, we care a lot about the boys, and Bono as well, that's why we don't wanna see them hurt, or sick, or even hated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom