Peace on Earth - hit or miss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonodeniro said:
Every song on atomic bomb is a work of genius and love & peace is no different

We're actually now talking about Love & Peace Or Else here, Peace on Earth....

And it looks like quite a few people enjoy the song.
Told ya so:wink:

Eh...I have to be in the right sort of mood to listen to it. It's definitely not in my top ten, that's for sure. I don't know if it's the lyrics or the music that turns me off.

To me it's not a song, but an overlong sentiment with a bad chorus. Definitely a skipper.

Not one of my favourites, but I do find it moving if in the right mood. But in terms of songs about Northern Ireland I think Please is better.

Miss.

A meandering, substandard effort that should have never made the record. Peace on Earth is the sound of U2 phoning it in.

barely a miss, however i think grace is a hit, one of my favorite ATYCLB tracks, even though they seem to come off a bit similar.

I'd be shattered if Grace was the album closer on the Aussie release of ATYCLB. Extremely poor note to end an album.

Ground Beneath her feet makes Grace sound so much better when it follows it.

bathiu said:

:eyebrow: how is it possible to cry because of the song? ... and do it every time listening to it?:huh:
----------

You've never cried because of a song? :huh: I'll just say you and I are VERY different people.

By the way, Hit.

"Who said that if you go in hard,
you won't get hurt?"
*sigh*

I think its a great opening to to other songs (i.e Walk On) but I don't think it is that strong of song. Maybe for a B-side but not on full length album

Miss.

I just listened to it the other day, to see if maybe now, after some time, I would like it better.

Nope.

For me, it's a miss - but mostly because the lyrics are so well written. I mean, I don't particularly care for the tempo or the phrasing (I can't quite decide which), but the lyrics just paint such a vivid picture - a dreary, depressing, defeated picture that's just so real. Which is exactly what it's supposed to do! These are real people that are being referred to.

What I mean is that the song works too well in making me feel the sadness and disgust of it all - Nothern Ireland, Afghanistan, Iraq, Africa, etc, etc. The lines about people's "...sons who are living in the ground..." & "no one cries like a mother cries" grab my guts & twist them every time. Maybe it's a form of denial or "looking away" from the problem, but I don't like how dark the song makes me feel, so I generally skip it.

Short version: Musically - a bit of a miss. Lyrically - a hit. But a hard hit that I try to avoid. :sad:

(Does that make sense to ANYONE besides myself???) :shrug:

Last edited:
I have to be in the right mood for it, because it saddens me a great deal, I love the song, I even go as far to say that I cherish it, it's intimate, truthfull and I like the way you can hear Bono's doubt in his voice.

Not an hit and not a miss but more a hit than a miss.
A good, quiet, emotional song. I like it on ATYCLB as I also like quite a lot One Step Closer on HTDAAB

I like the fact that it is a simple song, but still has astrong message: that's not an easy thing to get, IMO. That's probably why it si not everybody's favourite song. Mine isnt actually, but I accept it is really really nice!!! Hit!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom