Peace On Earth and Grace appreciation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
It seems that with the impending release of Hut Dab, the criticisms of Peace On Earth and Grace have come even more thick and fast than before. Frankly, I can't fathom it, and I feel these two songs deserve their own APPRECIATION thread because they should be appreciated.

I received ATYCLB for Christmas 2000 and Peace On Earth was quickly one of my favourites. Sure, it may have a couple of weak lyrics, but it's sincere and it acts as the soft counterpart to the more aggressive political songs such as Sunday Bloody Sunday in U2's catalogue. What really sticks out in my memory, however, is the night of 2001-09-11. I was lying in bed, listening to the radio, and at the end of some music countdown, the station played a special presentation of news reports over the top of Peace On Earth. If any moment seriously kindled my love affair with the moving power of music, it was that (and the sheer force of Walk On that sustained me through the last few years). I will never forget lying in bed, nearly crying to the end of the song.

And Grace ... admittedly, it took me a long time to come to appreciate this song, but that's because I was listening to it too superficially and I hadn't even thought to look for any subtlety. This song is beautiful and I really do have to wonder why so many people here dislike it. I'm sure that some of you have a 5:30 loop of "Grace, it's a name for a girl; it's also a thought that changed the world."

IGNORE THAT LINE FOR A SECOND. Listen to the rest of the song. It has some of Bono's most brilliant lyrics. I am truly glad Bono wrote this touching song.

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings ...

So yes. Let's appreciate these two tracks for a change. Give them the love they deserve.

I've always like Peace on Earth.

But Grace took a long time to grow on me too. I never disliked it, I just wasn't too sure about it.
It was as recently as a few months ago that I decided to give it another chance.
I love it now.

I really, really love 'Grace'......how can it not be a fan favorite from the recent years?

'Peace On Earth'......it is U2 at a stripped-down, sheerly sincere force. It is a necessity. And anytime U2 decides to sing even a snippet of it at future concerts, it will be strongly effective.

Thanks for bringing up the need to appreciate these songs, Axver.

I have not been on Interference for too long, but I have already grown tired of the "let's whine about ATYCLB" threads. What is up with that?

Always liked the lyrics to Peace on Earth.
I don't mind Grace, either - but have to be in the mood for it.

I hate both of them.

They represent the worst side - and one side i never noticed before - of U2 since 2000: boring, predictable, unispiring and lazy instrumentally and vocally speaking.

You can crucify me now.

Last edited:
cybersyd said:
Grace..................... is so underrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:

..and so understated. I love that Grace is so relaxed. No one in the band is showcasing here - its not U2 with Bells on it but rather a beautiful wave of sound with great lyrics.

Peace on Earth I guess is unpopular because it is almost embarassingly open. It speaks openly of that which is mainly left unsaid. And I love the chorus and, musically, the way it works with the guitar building to "Jesus can you take the time/ To throw a drowning man a line"

These are the kind of U2 songs we will probably still enjoy in our 80s (when Vertigo might be a bit strenuous!)

paulrg said:

..and so understated. I love that Grace is so relaxed. No one in the band is showcasing here - its not U2 with Bells on it but rather a beautiful wave of sound with great lyrics.

Peace on Earth I guess is unpopular because it is almost embarassingly open. It speaks openly of that which is mainly left unsaid. And I love the chorus and, musically, the way it works with the guitar building to "Jesus can you take the time/ To throw a drowning man a line"

These are the kind of U2 songs we will probably still enjoy in our 80s (when Vertigo might be a bit strenuous!)

Off topic: where do you live in Cyprus Paulrg?

U2_Guy said:

Very good. I think i'll be there soon...

Hope you like it here.

My email is paulrgreenwood@yahoo.com if you want to chat anymore.

Bring a few more interferencers to Cyprus and maybe U2 might play here for once! At the moment I feel like I'm the only fan on the island:ohmy:

U2_Guy said:
I hate both of them.

They represent the worst side - and one side i never noticed before - of U2 since 2000: boring, predictable, unispiring and lazy instrumentally and vocally speaking.

You can crucify me now.

Did you not see the thread title? And how the hell are these two songs boring? Some people here seem to be of the impression that just because the music is softer and because the lyrics aren't quite as unobvious as Bullet The Blue Sky, the songs are boring and predictable.

These songs are magic, absolute magic, particularly Grace. Those are some of Bono's most insightful lyrics. Hardly lazy.

U2_Guy said:
I hate both of them.

You can crucify me now.

CRUCIFY HIM CRUCIFY HIM!

Anyway, both of those songs took a really long time to grow on me and they have. Moreso with Grace than Peace on Earth. People that automatically dismiss them as boring do look at them too superficially I think. Peace and beauty are the themes, and I really enjoy that when I'm in certain moods.

Grace is one of the deeper songs off of At Club. It explores the three definitions of the word grace and culminates in heavenly grace, just as Axver quoted above. Brilliant song, in my opinion.

I have been rather perplexed as to all the POE/Grace backlash as well, so I am glad you started this thread.:up:

I have never disliked either of these songs. POE is a beautiful little melody. I remember coming back from a little trip just sitting in the car, listening to it,it and practically crying. Grace, I think has one of the best intros of any U2 songs. It soooo relaxing. It has some of Bono's strongest lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom