Peace on Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miss becky

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I was wondering why so many people hate this song. Am I the only one who likes it? It's got a great drum line, and I love the vocal. Sure, the second verse is too clunky, but the rest of it is very good. And it's one of the few songs that can still move me to tears, no matter how many times I hear it.

So why all the dislike of Peace on Earth?

it's not a favorie for me, but i do like it.

I really like it's beginning as the intro/lead-in for 'Walk On'-- the live satilite-feed version they did from London for the .....?exact title??...Concert for America.... & on the subsiquent CD.

dazzledbylight said:
I really like it's beginning as the intro/lead-in for 'Walk On'-- the live satilite-feed version they did from London for the .....?exact title??...Concert for America.... & on the subsiquent CD.

That's when I really began to appreciate Peace On Earth. I really didn't care about it much before.

It's too much like WILATW. Of the two, I perfer WILATW. Peace on Earth also feels really forced. But it was great for post 9/11.

it doesn't feel too forced to me because it sounds like they didnt really try with the song. It seems like they recorded it in the last day before they mastered the record. The lyrics are too corny for me, "where I grew up there weren't many trees..."..."that there's going to be, peace on earth."

oh my god, the only real skip over for me on ATYCLB. I'm not a huge fan of WILATW (love Edge's small guitar solo) or Wild Honey (it is a little catchy) but I still listen to them sometimes. This is a total skipover. The only real mistake I see on ATYCLB.

the title itself is awful. That's why I was worried about L&P or else, but it turned out to have some sick guitars (don't like the lyrics to that either though). Peace on Earth was a sappy mistake which should have been replaced by Summer Rain, and now that we;ve heard "levitate" and "flower child", the question is whose vote in the "democracy" was it to put this on the album??

Aardvark747 said:
Very under-rated song, like Grace from the same album

:yes: Peace On Earth and Grace are two stand-outs from ATYCLB in my opinion. Lovely songs.

I never did care for Grace. And admittedly PoE has problems. I still really like it, though.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Axver said:

:yes: Peace On Earth and Grace are two stand-outs from ATYCLB in my opinion. Lovely songs.

I am fascinated that people actually like these songs. I find them embarassing.

Both of them are great themes - especially Grace - but the lyrics are (imo) AWFUL. Garrett, Anne and Breeda .... their lives are bigger than any big idea? Are you f-n kiddin me Bono?

Grace its a name for a girl, its also a thought that changed the world ......

He's better than that. Even when he's not trying to be. There is something I love about ATYCLB (even though it bugs me too), I just can't tell what it is. When ever I listen to the album or watch the videos I think to myself, "This is their Rock Star album." Very confident. But these songs weakened the album.

Dalton said:

Garrett, Anne and Breeda .... their lives are bigger than any big idea? Are you f-n kiddin me Bono?

Grace its a name for a girl, its also a thought that changed the world

Well, no big ideas, especially radical ones, should be worth sacrificing human lives. I agree with that thought - it's not the first condemnation of extremism Bono has written.

He's portraying different definitions of the word grace.
It did change the world didn't it? It's one of the biggest influences in the Western civilization.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Well, no big ideas, especially radical ones, should be worth sacrificing human lives. I agree with that thought - it's not the first condemnation of extremism Bono has written.

He's portraying different definitions of the word grace.
It did change the world didn't it? It's one of the biggest influences in the Western civilization.

I know. That is why I said I like the concepts, but the lyrics are TOO simplistic for my liking. Those two songs are hard for me to hear (POE impossible). I agree with the ideas of both songs, I agree with Bono writting about both. I believe he could have done better.

As far as I'm aware Bono has written three songs directly referencing Northern Ireland - Peace on Earth, Please and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Of the three of them I'd have to say Peace on Earth is my least favourite. I don't like Sunday Bloody Sunday much either but that may be because I have heard it too often! Of the three, I'd say Please is definitely the best - best lyrics, most interesting musically. The lyrics on Peace on Earth don't really work for me I'm afraid.

Peace On Earth is a good wee song but U2 should always make Great Big Songs, ok so not really but the arguement is there............

Personally, I love Peace On Earth - it's simply a song Bono wrote out of rage and intermittent desgust over the continuing "Troubles" in Northern Ireland.

Often, when a person writes this personal of a song, it is not phrased with the prettiest words and/or in the most attractive melody - it is simply an OUTPOURING FROM THE HEART.

Bono's Heart - one of the most expansive and sensitive Hearts in our world today.:yes:

So while it is a bit rough around the edges, I still feel "Peace On Earth" is an excellent song.

Thanks for this thread - interesting discussion.

And THANK YOU, BONO, FOR GIVING US THIS GIFT OF SONG/PSALM. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:
Personally, I love Peace On Earth - it's simply a song Bono wrote out of rage and intermittent desgust over the continuing "Troubles" in Northern Ireland.

Often, when a person writes this personal of a song, it is not phrased with the prettiest words and/or in the most attractive melody - it is simply an OUTPOURING FROM THE HEART.

Bono's Heart - one of the most expansive and sensitive Hearts in our world today.:yes:

So while it is a bit rough around the edges, I still feel "Peace On Earth" is an excellent song.

Thanks for this thread - interesting discussion.

And THANK YOU, BONO, FOR GIVING US THIS GIFT OF SONG/PSALM. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamilia,

Do you think Bono is tired? The reason I ask is because his last two "angry" songs (as you said Peace on Earth is) Peace on Earth and Crumbs don't seem to have much rage to them. Both are very pretty and smooth musically. Peace on Earth imo is beyond repair, but Crumbs would be much better (for the lyrics) if the music had more of an edge.

Both make me believe that if Bono is less angry and more resigned to what the world is like. That would make me sad ....

Dalton, I think there is indeed a difference between "political" songs Bono wrote in his youth, and songs written now. But I don't think he's become resigned to things. I just think that he has come to realize youthful rage has its place, and now that he is older and wiser, there are different ways to make his point. So the songs are quieter, maybe, but no less potent. And he works to get his message across in other ways, such as co-founding DATA, rather than prancing across a stage with a white flag.

But that doesn't make PoE any less angry of a song. It's just a different style, is all.

Dalton said:

Jamilia,

Do you think Bono is tired? The reason I ask is because his last two "angry" songs (as you said Peace on Earth is) Peace on Earth and Crumbs don't seem to have much rage to them. Both are very pretty and smooth musically. Peace on Earth imo is beyond repair, but Crumbs would be much better (for the lyrics) if the music had more of an edge.

Both make me believe that if Bono is less angry and more resigned to what the world is like. That would make me sad ....

"tell the ones who hear no sound whose sons are living in the ground"
"she never got to say goodbye to see the color in his eyes, now he's in the dirt"
"hear it every Christmas time but hope and history won't ryhme so what's it worth, this Peace on earth?"
"their lives are bigger than any big idea"
"I'm sick of the sorrow, I'm sick of the pain, I'm sick of hearing again and again, that there's gonna be Peace on earth"

"would you deny from others what you demand for yourself?"
"where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die"
"I would believe if I was able, but I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table"
"you broke every heart thinking every heart mends"

That doesn't sound angry to you?

Please on the other hand, sounds a lot more resigned, even bitter.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

"tell the ones who hear no sound whose sons are living in the ground"
"she never got to say goodbye to see the color in his eyes, now he's in the dirt"
"hear it every Christmas time but hope and history won't ryhme so what's it worth, this Peace on earth?"
"their lives are bigger than any big idea"
"I'm sick of the sorrow, I'm sick of the pain, I'm sick of hearing again and again, that there's gonna be Peace on earth"

"would you deny from others what you demand for yourself?"
"where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die"
"I would believe if I was able, but I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table"
"you broke every heart thinking every heart mends"

That doesn't sound angry to you?

Please on the other hand, sounds a lot more resigned, even bitter.

Come om people, read the post before commenting. I said I have a problem with Crumbs because the MUSIC is not edgy enough for the lyrics. The lyrics are angry but the music is too smooth. The tone of MUSIC doesn't match the tone of the Lyrics and I think that makes for a song that sounds inauthentic.

Maybe it was intented that way to fool the people, remember how many people dissed Stuck in a moment's music yet the lyrics are very strong.

Maybe Bono is approaching these topics differently now, he's not the same person that was shouting and waving the white flag or delivering the angry rant in SBS in Rattle and Hum.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Maybe it was intented that way to fool the people, remember how many people dissed Stuck in a moment's music yet the lyrics are very strong.

Maybe Bono is approaching these topics differently now, he's not the same person that was shouting and waving the white flag or delivering the angry rant in SBS in Rattle and Hum.

Perhaps and that of course would be his perogative, but I think it makes for a disingenuous song. Shouldn't music match the lyrics? I think so.

As for Peace on Earth, I just think the whole song is terrible.

We all have the right to our opinions and we all have the right to voice them here, but what I don't understand is:

why do always want to second-guess U2's music?

It is what it is and all the discussion in the world won't change that.

So why not just listen to what works for you and let others listen to what works for them?:ohmy:

I guess I have always been a person who tries to follow the old adage: if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

Peace On Earth may not be one of U2's greatest songs, but it is a song that has REAL MEANING AND PURPOSE for all of us to discover - if our hearts are in the right place to appreciate it. :yes:

And if we can't appreciate it right now, I would leave open the opportunity that you will one day in the future.

LOVE AND PEACE....:hug:

Jamila said:
We all have the right to our opinions and we all have the right to voice them here, but what I don't understand is:

why do always want to second-guess U2's music?

It is what it is and all the discussion in the world won't change that.

So why not just listen to what works for you and let others listen to what works for them?:ohmy:

I guess I have always been a person who tries to follow the old adage: if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

Peace On Earth may not be one of U2's greatest songs, but it is a song that has REAL MEANING AND PURPOSE for all of us to discover - if our hearts are in the right place to appreciate it. :yes:

And if we can't appreciate it right now, I would leave open the opportunity that you will one day in the future.

LOVE AND PEACE....:hug:

Oh Dear ....

Peace On Earth is a slightly more expensive version of Please, but a much cheaper imitation of Sunday Bloody Sunday. Go for the real thing, and not the cheap (Peace On Earth) or cheaper (Please) or cheapest (Love And Peace Or Else) imitations.

Cheers,

J

I love the lyrics and I love the song, then again I love all the lyrics off of electrical storm.

Back
Top Bottom