Paul McCartney Will Perform At The Super Bowl Too - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2002, 07:24 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Paul McCartney Will Perform At The Super Bowl Too

LONDON (Reuters) - Paul McCartney is to perform live at next month's Super Bowl in New Orleans with a televised tribute to American heroes after last September's hijack attacks. It will be seen by almost 1 billion people.

``As a sports fan, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be involved in the Super Bowl, and as a musician, I am honored to add my voice to the message of tribute that this year's Super Bowl will carry,'' the former Beatle said in a statement.

NFL organizers said the Feb. 3 game at the Louisiana Superdome will be seen by 130 million viewers in the United States and beamed to another 800 million worldwide.

McCartney, whose home city of Liverpool is one of the hotbeds of English soccer, will be joined for his ``Freedom'' anthem by 500 young people representing the 180 countries that will televise the Super Bowl.

``It is expected to be the most stirring and emotionally charged Super Bowl ever,'' said consulting producer Michael Flur.

On Sept. 11, McCartney was on the tarmac at New York's JFK airport waiting for take-off when the suicide hijackers crashed two planes into the towers of the World Trade Center.

``I was sitting on a plane at New York airport and watched it unfold through the windows. It will live with me forever,'' said McCartney who then wrote the song ``Freedom'' to boost relief funds for the victims

Old 01-16-2002, 07:31 AM   #2
New Yorker

I like the cause, but i dont like the song...

Old 01-16-2002, 07:32 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:59 AM
So the boys decided to go with a legendary rock star instead of Britney Spears again huh? Once again proving why U2 is soooo much cooler than any other band.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:16 AM   #4
War Child

"Freedom" is the kind of lame song I would expect a 13 year old to come up with. Not someone who was in the Beatles.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:48 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Um, this whole halftime show is spinning out of control.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"
Old 01-16-2002, 09:25 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
"Freedom" is the kind of lame song I would expect a 13 year old to come up with. Not someone who was in the Beatles.
Dr. G, in case you haven't noticed, all of Paul McCartney's post-Beatles songs are lame. (Though some will disagree with me, I think all of the Beatles' post-Beatles songs are lame).

Also, Paul McCartney was never one to make sharp political statements--he very much disliked John Lennon's "Revolution".

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-16-2002).]
Old 01-16-2002, 09:27 AM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by martha:
Um, this whole halftime show is spinning out of control.

I agree. Halftime is only 20 min. long and that is 5 min. longer then regular season games. I think it is getting to big so U2 won't have that much time. Maybe only 5 min.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Sweet! Looks like he's performing in the pre-game show...

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment...atestheadlines

Paul McCartney to play Sept 11 tribute show before Super Bowl

Sir Paul McCartney will perform in a special pre-game show at this year's Super Bowl on February 3.

The concert will be dedicated to the heroism of the emergency workers involved in the aftermath of September 11.

It will be beamed to more than 130 million people in the US, and a further 800 million worldwide.

McCartney will perform alongside 500 young people in the show, which will precede the 36th Super Bowl at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.

The former Beatle witnessed the terrorist atrocities of September 11, along with his fiance, Heather Mills.

Following the attacks, Sir Paul wrote the song Freedom, which was released to raise money for New York's emergency services.

In October, he headlined a concert at New York's Madison Square Gardens in tribute to the heroism of the city's firefighters and police officers.

McCartney said: "As a sports fan I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be involved in the Super Bowl and as a musician I am honoured to add my voice to the message of tribute that this year's Super Bowl will carry."

The NFL commissioner, Paul Tagliabue, said: "We will salute those who have helped make us stronger since September 11 and recognise those who will make a difference in every community.

"We are delighted that Paul McCartney has agreed to lead this tribute to freedom and everyday heroes."

Story filed: 13:25 Wednesday 16th January 2002
Old 01-16-2002, 10:05 AM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 09:59 AM
I think Paul's "Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of the best songs he wrote, better than most of his Beatles stuff in my opinion.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO
Old 01-16-2002, 10:17 AM   #10
Den Mother

Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Oh no, that means less time for U2 but at lease he is a real musician.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:22 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

It doesn't specify...but I'm assuming he is during pregame and U2 still has halftime by themselves.
Pregame is becoming loaded with performers.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:24 AM   #12
The Fly

Paul also wrote Mull Of Kintyre and several other great songs. Band on the Run, Junior's Farm, Live and Let Die, etc. The man does have talent!
Old 01-16-2002, 10:42 AM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:

Also, Paul McCartney was never one to make sharp political statements--he very much disliked John Lennon's "Revolution".

Where did you hear this? The reason I ask is because Revolution is one of the most apolitical songs of all time. Revolution was a response to two events:
1. The events that were happening around that time including the street protests by young people throughtout Europe and the U.S. against the war in Vietnam.
2. The Rolling Stones' Street Fighting Man

I'm just curious where you found such info since I have never heard anything about it and I am a huge Beatles fan.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:15 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

"Paul made little effort to mask his distaste for a few of John's more `way out' compositions, specifically `Revolution' and `Revolution 9.' `Revolution,' however, meant more to John at the time than any song he'd written in years, and he was determined that it should appear as the A side of the Beatles' debut release on their soon-to-be-launched Apple Records. Apart from marking a return to the high adrenalin, no-frills rock 'n' roll that had always remained his first musical love, `Revolution' was the first Beatles song to constitute an explicitly political statement. Which in turn is precisely why Paul felt so wary about it; nonpolitical to the core, he would have much preferred the Beatles to steer clear of such `heavy' topics."

From John Lennon In My Life, by Pete Shotton.

I found this quote in Beatlesongs, by William J. Dowlding. It's a great book.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:01 PM   #15
Acrobat

It would be cool to see Paul play "Helter Skelter" with U2, but I don't think Paul could sing it with such wild abandon as he did on the White Album...or anyone for that matter. (Paul also never sang the song live to my knowledge...)