Paul McCartney Will Perform At The Super Bowl Too

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
LONDON (Reuters) - Paul McCartney is to perform live at next month's Super Bowl in New Orleans with a televised tribute to American heroes after last September's hijack attacks. It will be seen by almost 1 billion people.

``As a sports fan, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be involved in the Super Bowl, and as a musician, I am honored to add my voice to the message of tribute that this year's Super Bowl will carry,'' the former Beatle said in a statement.

NFL organizers said the Feb. 3 game at the Louisiana Superdome will be seen by 130 million viewers in the United States and beamed to another 800 million worldwide.

McCartney, whose home city of Liverpool is one of the hotbeds of English soccer, will be joined for his ``Freedom'' anthem by 500 young people representing the 180 countries that will televise the Super Bowl.

``It is expected to be the most stirring and emotionally charged Super Bowl ever,'' said consulting producer Michael Flur.

On Sept. 11, McCartney was on the tarmac at New York's JFK airport waiting for take-off when the suicide hijackers crashed two planes into the towers of the World Trade Center.

``I was sitting on a plane at New York airport and watched it unfold through the windows. It will live with me forever,'' said McCartney who then wrote the song ``Freedom'' to boost relief funds for the victims

So the boys decided to go with a legendary rock star instead of Britney Spears again huh? Once again proving why U2 is soooo much cooler than any other band.

Um, this whole halftime show is spinning out of control.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
"Freedom" is the kind of lame song I would expect a 13 year old to come up with. Not someone who was in the Beatles.

Dr. G, in case you haven't noticed, all of Paul McCartney's post-Beatles songs are lame. (Though some will disagree with me, I think all of the Beatles' post-Beatles songs are lame).

Also, Paul McCartney was never one to make sharp political statements--he very much disliked John Lennon's "Revolution".

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 01-16-2002).]

Originally posted by martha:
Um, this whole halftime show is spinning out of control.

I agree. Halftime is only 20 min. long and that is 5 min. longer then regular season games. I think it is getting to big so U2 won't have that much time. Maybe only 5 min.

Sweet! Looks like he's performing in the pre-game show...

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_496710.html?menu=entertainment.latestheadlines

Paul McCartney to play Sept 11 tribute show before Super Bowl

Sir Paul McCartney will perform in a special pre-game show at this year's Super Bowl on February 3.

The concert will be dedicated to the heroism of the emergency workers involved in the aftermath of September 11.

It will be beamed to more than 130 million people in the US, and a further 800 million worldwide.

McCartney will perform alongside 500 young people in the show, which will precede the 36th Super Bowl at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.

The former Beatle witnessed the terrorist atrocities of September 11, along with his fiance, Heather Mills.

Following the attacks, Sir Paul wrote the song Freedom, which was released to raise money for New York's emergency services.

In October, he headlined a concert at New York's Madison Square Gardens in tribute to the heroism of the city's firefighters and police officers.

McCartney said: "As a sports fan I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be involved in the Super Bowl and as a musician I am honoured to add my voice to the message of tribute that this year's Super Bowl will carry."

The NFL commissioner, Paul Tagliabue, said: "We will salute those who have helped make us stronger since September 11 and recognise those who will make a difference in every community.

"We are delighted that Paul McCartney has agreed to lead this tribute to freedom and everyday heroes."

Story filed: 13:25 Wednesday 16th January 2002

I think Paul's "Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of the best songs he wrote, better than most of his Beatles stuff in my opinion.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

It doesn't specify...but I'm assuming he is during pregame and U2 still has halftime by themselves.
Pregame is becoming loaded with performers.

Originally posted by speedracer:

Also, Paul McCartney was never one to make sharp political statements--he very much disliked John Lennon's "Revolution".

Where did you hear this? The reason I ask is because Revolution is one of the most apolitical songs of all time. Revolution was a response to two events:
1. The events that were happening around that time including the street protests by young people throughtout Europe and the U.S. against the war in Vietnam.
2. The Rolling Stones' Street Fighting Man

I'm just curious where you found such info since I have never heard anything about it and I am a huge Beatles fan.

"Paul made little effort to mask his distaste for a few of John's more `way out' compositions, specifically `Revolution' and `Revolution 9.' `Revolution,' however, meant more to John at the time than any song he'd written in years, and he was determined that it should appear as the A side of the Beatles' debut release on their soon-to-be-launched Apple Records. Apart from marking a return to the high adrenalin, no-frills rock 'n' roll that had always remained his first musical love, `Revolution' was the first Beatles song to constitute an explicitly political statement. Which in turn is precisely why Paul felt so wary about it; nonpolitical to the core, he would have much preferred the Beatles to steer clear of such `heavy' topics."

From John Lennon In My Life, by Pete Shotton.

I found this quote in Beatlesongs, by William J. Dowlding. It's a great book.

It would be cool to see Paul play "Helter Skelter" with U2, but I don't think Paul could sing it with such wild abandon as he did on the White Album...or anyone for that matter. (Paul also never sang the song live to my knowledge...)

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
It would be cool to see Paul play "Helter Skelter" with U2, but I don't think Paul could sing it with such wild abandon as he did on the White Album...or anyone for that matter. (Paul also never sang the song live to my knowledge...)

The Beatles were hepped up on some variety of goofballs when they recorded Helter Skelter, according to one of the guys in the studio.

Originally posted by speedracer:
hepped up on some variety of goofballs

Wow! What a great phrase! This can describe so much. I think I may steal it and make it my own.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
"Freedom" is the kind of lame song I would expect a 13 year old to come up with. Not someone who was in the Beatles.

I agree 100% with this statement. I am also tired of reading articles about him complaining about spending the last 30 years in John Lennon's shadow.

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 01-16-2002).]

Just for the sake of dissent, I wanted to let y'all know that I enjoy the song "Freedom." We bought it for $2.99 at Sam Goody back during the Yuletide.

~U2Alabama

YAY! I love Macca.
smile.gif

------------------
- nan
MacPhisto made me do it

Back
Top Bottom