Pain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
Which U2 songs make you think of pain, or overcoming pain?

Pain:

1. With or without You - Bono's whistful voice, and Edge's ringing guitar just brings about the feeling of internal emptyness and misery. I listen to this song when I cut myself.

2. Wake Up Dead Man - so mournful "I'm alone in this world, and a fucked up world it is too." So poetic.

3. When I Look at the World - Everything about this song hurts me.

4. MLK - I don't know why. The way bono sings in this, just sounds like he's hurting.

5. So Cruel - this is possibly the most bitter tasting song I've ever known. "THe men who love you you hate the most, they pass right through you like a ghost." Its just so full of hurt feelings and pain.

6. Mother's of the Disappeared - this song is deeply painful, on a more subtle, and yet more obvious level. Don't ask me how that works.

Overcoming pain

1. Scarlet - so simple, yet so inspiring.

2. Stuck in a Moment

3. Walk On - Just look at the Title. "And I know it aches how you heart it breaks, you can only take so much." It feels like Bono is speaking to me and me only when he sings this song.

4. Luminous Times. Don't know why.

5. Everybody Hurts (by REM). Every word of this song is just perfect. Its so simple. It was written by Michael Stipe to teenagers contemplating suicide, and I can really feel he cares. The message is just so wonderful. And the video just makes my heart burn.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

I wish.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Originally posted by NShaik:
Pain:

1. With or without You - Bono's whistful voice, and Edge's ringing guitar just brings about the feeling of internal emptyness and misery. I listen to this song when I cut myself.

I usually picked "Gone" or RTSS. I've been a "good girl" lately though.

If you're serious about what you say, you should email me sometime: Katherine@U2mail.org

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

"One" reminds me of all the pain I've experienced, and the fact that I overcame it
and am now a healthy, sane and productive human being.

------------------
I can scream as loud as your last one, but I can't claim innocence.

Kite. It always makes me think of Bono's father and the pain Bono must have went through. Hereing him sing it a day or two after his father died had me crying. I guess somehow, that pain transferred to me through that song.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Somehow I don't think there are many "pain" songs by U2. Perhaps "with or without you" and "peace on earth" - but most U2 songs that are melancholy are also hopeful and inspirational. Take "acrobat" for instance or "one". Out of pain comes inspiration. In other words - break through from break down.

But, if I'm gonna play along. I'll say "bad". The "if i could" lines are stained with blood and tears.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Bad, and Kite.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Back
Top Bottom