Overdue Live Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
For a band that is renowned for being a "live act" something has struck me. When are we gonna get a stand alone live recording to show what U2 are really about? I wouldnt class UABRS as fitting the bill as it was released as an EP or mini album.

gman said:
For a band that is renowned for being a "live act" something has struck me. When are we gonna get a stand alone live recording to show what U2 are really about? I wouldnt class UABRS as fitting the bill as it was released as an EP or mini album.

While the band are still touring, I don't think you are ever going to get a live album, as such.

The direction that technology is moving seems to say that the band are happy releasing live albums as DVDs.

So we DO have a live album from the last 4 tours.

I would love a canonical CD release of the ZooTV tour. That tour contains, by far, all of my favorite performances of the songs I like most. The melodic progression of 'TTYAATW' still gives me chills.

Re: Re: Overdue Live Album

U2mixer said:

While the band are still touring, I don't think you are ever going to get a live album, as such.

The direction that technology is moving seems to say that the band are happy releasing live albums as DVDs.

So we DO have a live album from the last 4 tours.

Exactly, the Edge has said the DVD's are their "live albums"

Just like Prince, who is one of the greatest live acts ever, it took until 2002 for him to release an actual live recording. And as it was, it was spliced from a half-dozen concerts.

But we have the dvds... I don't think bands do much live cds anymore... or do they?:scratch: Anyway I never really appreciated live cds... I have the need to see the image when I know it's live! But I like Under A Blood Red Sky... Maybe I'm crazy:coocoo:

Yeah, I'll never say 'no' to a U2 cd of any kind...but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd take a DVD. :hyper:

Live albums were more popular in the late 80s, than now. DVDs provide more depth and inlook, along with technology to offer a true concert feel. With a cd, you can't see the crowd, the colors or certain way songs are performed. With a DVD, this is possible, you can see the little things.

Since the bonus features on the last dvd sucked, I think what I'd rather see is a combo pack with the dvd & a live cd of the same show..:hmm:

The Rush R30 Deluxe Edition contains 4 discs - 2 DVDs and 2 CDs. U2 could do something like that, but it's easy enough to rip the audio from the DVD.

ETA: I noticed that the Rush R30 DVD is slightly outselling the U2 Chicago DVD on amazon.com. So maybe it would be a good idea to have 4 discs. One good thing about the Rush DVD is that it contained 2 guitar picks of the type Alex Lifeson uses, with his "autograph" embedded in them. I think this would help U2 sell more DVDs as well - 2 Herdim guitar picks with The Edge's autograph on them.

Last edited:
I think the band knows that there's a huge live bootleg U2 community, and when we have so many liveshows, is it useful to bring out something official?

talkin' bout Chicago , people you already have some numbers of the sellings of it ?

And about sellings of dvds , I would say that something like this thing of a pick would be good , but what would be is the package, I mean the content like , the main thing of the dvd , the show is awesome , but the extras ..... U2 haven't still put out a dvd of the size of the band , they could infinitely do something better , and it's not that hard , put some really good making ofs , some interviews of the band , put some live videos of the tour .

A dvd of u2 live could really be a big thing , got all the potential anyone would want , but they just don't know how to really use it all

Last edited:
Galeongirl said:
I think the band knows that there's a huge live bootleg U2 community, and when we have so many liveshows, is it useful to bring out something official?

I don't think that should really factor into their decision making. It would still sell like crazy.

One thing I must say is anyone can film a dvd and show so many fans waiting outside in shorts and a t-shirt. Dear U2 management, come and take a look at Montreal , in the winter, where my toes were blue and strangers had to save one another's place in line just so our bodies don't go into shock!!!!!! Guys, can we reconsider the time of year you visit Canada! Yet freezing or not we'll take a U2 show any time.

clifedge said:

I don't think that should really factor into their decision making. It would still sell like crazy.

what (s)he said, 'casual' fans aren't going to be so into the band that they'll go looking for the bootlegs. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom