Overall, Do you think U2 is thought of as one of the best bands of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NO, but they sure as hell SHOULD BE, right up there with the Stones and the Beatles.

I think in general people just don't take U2 very seriously, I can't give you a firm reason why, it's just the "vibes" I've picked up through the years.

The only people that seem to understand them or "get it" are really the more hard-core fans...mostly because the mainstream only knows U2 through what they've heard on the radio, which, obviously, is only a *very* small segment of U2's vast catalog of music (not to mention that they play the stuff on the radio *ad nauseum* till you're so bloody sick of it, you don't even want to hear it any more).

U2 is one of those groups that you almost HAVE TO read up on and study more in-depth to really understand where they're coming from...they're certainly great at face value, but it's all the behind-the scenes stuff that really make them a remarkable and extremely unique band.

Just my two cents.

DiScO

----
eleventy billion U2 piccies!
http://communities.webshots/user/gudagirl

I think they are probably somewhere just above new kids on the block and a couple of notches below n'suck
wink.gif

Originally posted by z edge:
I think they are probably somewhere just above new kids on the block and a couple of notches below n'suck
wink.gif

LOL!

BTW, great insight Discotheque.

Originally posted by z edge:
wink.gif

ABOVE New Kids On The Block?????? No way!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

At the present time they are on the way to one of the best bands of all time. They have commercial appeal, critical validity, musical/lyrical substance, a good image, a wide range of musical variety and many other things that make a great band. Not to mention...*ahem*...BALLS.
biggrin.gif

I imagine that it will take 10 to 15 years from now before the general public will see how big their shadow is. It takes time for the next generation to pay tribute. (I.E. Oasis
smile.gif
) They have been here for the long haul and that will show their importance/influence.

I imagine that after the band stops/slows down/ends, they will be lifted to a silly level of status by most people. The kind of acclaim that is thrown around with the Beatles/Nirvana/Hendrix/or any other great band that is no longer here. It's not so much that the critics really understand all the reasons that they were a great band, but now that they are gone they have no reason to deny their greatness. Doing so would only make them look like idiots. Why is that though?

'You gloirfy the past, when the future dries up...'

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 09-01-2001).]

In my opinion they are but I don't think they are in EVERYONE elses.They deserve to be and I think alot of people would agree.
Laura.

I think it hasn't been enough bad publicity around them to have made them known to anyone. Unfortunatly bad publicity is often the best.
Don't you think I want the bad publicity, that's one of the things I'm proud of about them that there are no scandals.

Then I think it's something in their music that you, personally, have to be openhearted enough to take in and when you are, that's when you get blown away totally.

I remember a review from Slane last week where the journalist actually mentioned that magic connection that U2 has with their fans and it felt in the review that the journalist not really could get exactly what it was and therefor felt almost leftout. (see my signature)

But within a few years, I hope not after they quit, they will be mentioned among the big ones. If not, WE HAVE TO HELP THEm UP THERE!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sara

------------------

"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

i think it takes time for a band to get recognised. in my opinion, time will tell where U2's place is after they end with making music.
sure, we see them up there among the greats, but we're the fans. so we're not objective. let critics and history decide.

------------------
"touch me, take me to that other place,
teach me, love, i know i'm not a hopeless case" - Beautiful day

"be uncool, yes be awkward" - Always

"and you can find your own way out"-Acrobat

Great point Disco.
smile.gif

I think they will be seen as one of the greats as well. They've done so much and influenced a lot of the younger generations of artists, so it just seems logical that one day they'll be revered as greats/pioneers in their field.

------------------
"Enough of this video bullsh**, I'm going to give you some culture. Know what I mean?" -Larry, ZooTv Era

"the soul needs beauty for a soul mate"

-April

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
I imagine that after the band stops/slows down/ends, they will be lifted to a silly level of status by most people. The kind of acclaim that is thrown around with the Beatles/Nirvana/Hendrix/or any other great band that is no longer here. It's not so much that the critics really understand all the reasons that they were a great band, but now that they are gone they have no reason to deny their greatness. Doing so would only make them look like idiots. Why is that though?

'You gloirfy the past, when the future dries up...'

I absolutely agree.

Also, another thing is that the main "vibe" I get from casual fans or from non-fans even more so, is that they don't like U2's (read: Bono's) preaching mentality. They're not referring to the Christian preaching, but to the many opinions, points of view, battles and such things U2 supports. As great as people realize Jubilee 2000 is, and Amnesty International, and Greenpeace, they're also sort of sick and tired of this "in-your-face" ideology. So, as/if U2 one day retires, their presence in the public eye, and particularly in politics will not disappear, but it will lessen. At that time, I think non-fans will have a chance to just sit down and listen to the music for what it is. Without distraction.

I dont' remeber exactly when but in recent past I saw a programme on CNN which featured some of the great rock bands and had 2 mins of comment on each one of them.In the first part of of the 15 min show (that I saw) they featured:-The Beatles, The Who,Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Doors,Led Zeppelin,Queen.

They startded the second half with the tune of Pride and New Years Day,that followed with comments like 'The band that not only constantly challenges themselves, but their audience as well...no one has been able to do so, as good as U2 has done' (from memory)...Please from POPmart,Beautiful Day,Mysterious Ways,Lemon and then again commentary with few more songs in the background with a collage of videos and live perfromances from POPmart.The band that followed were Nirvana(longest mention),Metallica,Pearl Jam,REM,Smashing Pumpkins.

I think prominent media's like Rolling Stone mag and CNN (worldbeat) already consider U2 in the Ivy league, its upto the generic media and masses to acknowledge them and they better to it fast.

BTW great post Discoteque.

------------------
THNIK

I know it sounds horrible....but...I think of them as a 'plane crash band' as in, they ARE one of the greatest bands ever, and I think can compete in *some* ways for the no1 spot, and I think in 20 years or so they will be recognised for that, and you know that Bono is gonna be around being Bono long after U2 is over.

But for now I think that, I know you'll hate it, but if their plane went down.... instantly 'best band ever' and complete idolisation from everyone everywhere.

But mostly it's just a wait and see thing. Most of their music doesn't get recognition for being as good as it is until a few years after it's out, so as a band as a whole, give 'em 20 years and you'll be telling your kids/grandkids "I saw fuckin' U2 live, can you top THAT!"

I agree with most of the postings. U2's music has a soul and life of its own. Sure, music reminds everyone of certain moments in one's life but how many songs provide a spiritual or emotional boost when you need it? The lyrics of many of their songs are uplifting or cause you to stop and think for a minute but at the same time you can just enjoy the song too. The mere fact that the band has lasted this long puts them up there with the Stones and the Beatles. Compared to today's one hit wonders which dominate the market, U2 is a legendary band which we and many generations to follow will remember as a groundbreaking and incredibly entertaining part of music history.

Also, after twenty years of recording, they still appeal to this generation. A young coworker of mine said he hated U2 whenever I played it at work ( which was often) But just this past week, he admitted that he now likes a few songs namely Walk On, Beautiful Day and Elevation. This kind of universal appeal is what makes a band great. 20 years from now, our kids will be listening to U2 on classic rock stations unlike bands (sorry, singing groups) like nsync, otown, .etc. I mean really how often do you hear stuff like new kids on the block on the radio?

I put U2 just behind the Beatles and the Stones at this point but only just.

BTW, Wouldn't that be an amazing concert doubleheader, U2 opening for the Stones or viceversa! Wow, that would be intense! Bono and Mick sharing the same stage! I can dream can't I?

------------------
You give it all but I want more

I dont think they would be classed as the best band, I would just say that they are extremely good at what they are best at - music, and its music that touches us.....................
Im sorry, I know what I want to say but Im half asleep today, due to being up all night watching some stuff, Terminator and Elvis........oh what fun!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Yes I do think they'll bw thought of in such terms. Up until the new album most people put down U2 as possibly the best band of the 80s/90s but with the new album and tour they will definatley be regarded as one of the best bands of all time. In no particular order here's the top6 as I see it, Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Who, U2.

Originally posted by jules:
Up until the new album most people put down U2 as possibly the best band of the 80s/90s but with the new album and tour they will definatley be regarded as one of the best bands of all time. In no particular order here's the top6 as I see it, Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Who, U2.

Hmmm interesting.....

Though I do feel, IMO, that U2 IS one of the best bands of the last 20 years....its just that the top 5 bands of all time listed above had all started in the 60's and to this day, are still fondly remembered. So.....

The question is will U2 be remembered 20 years from now? Maybe they will, maybe they wont, only time will tell. Look at the Beatles they broke up well over 20 years ago, ditto with Led Zep, The Who (though they did a brief comeback tour) and yet they are still remembered for their music.

Now ask yourself, will U2 be remembered for their music even after (god fecking forbid!) their eventual break up or, preferably, retirement at 60?
biggrin.gif

I certainly hope that they'll still be remembered when I turn 60 (yikes!
biggrin.gif
) as they are, to me, still an amazing band to watch live and a great listen as well! Long may they continue!

dougal

Just to emphasise my point even more, the offical MTV encyclopedia ranks U2 as their artiste of the 90s.

------------------
THNIK

Yes, I definately think of U2 as being among the best ever...if not THE best. Now, before you start bringing up the Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc. hear me out.

I can't think of any other band who has combined intelligence, drive, and the ability to actually make people think the way that U2 has. Bono, as a lyricist doesn't get the recogintion I feel he deserves.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds vs. One?
Yellow Submarine vs. Pride?
Imagine vs. One Tree Hill?

I Can't Get No Satisfaction vs. Streets?
Start Me Up vs. Red Hill Mining Town?

Stairway to Heaven vs. Bad?

If I recall correctly from Live Aid, Led Zeppelin actually did perform (granted it was without John Bonham) but it was U2 who stole the show.

While I'm not trying to begrudge the groups I mentioned above anything, I just don't get the same "vibe" if you will from their music that I get from U2. That's what attracted me to them the first time I heard "Pride". I just remember it made me stop in my tracks and actually listen to the song.

And it's true that there is a real connection between U2 and their fans. Is it magical? I don't know, but in all the 14 years of being a fan, I have never felt that U2 has ever thought of themselves as being above the people who have supported them for so long. After seeing them in concert, I felt like I had been given something special. I can't think of who said it right off hand, but it was when they won the Song of the Year Grammy when one of the presenters said that a good song has the ability to speak intimately to millions of people. So many of U2's songs have done that with me...especially "Streets" along with so many others.

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

Originally posted by SIK:

Imagine vs. One Tree Hill?

I love One Tree Hill, but seriously, it can't hold a candle to Imagine. Very few (if any) songs can.

Originally posted by mug222:
I love One Tree Hill, but seriously, it can't hold a candle to Imagine. Very few (if any) songs can.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then but I've read the lyrics to "Imagine". It just doesn't evoke the same emotion that "One Tree Hill" does.

If you want to talk more in detail, please feel free to e-mail me.

Originally posted by SIK:

but it was U2 who stole the show.

It was Queen

actually Wembley beats easily Philadelphia on that concert , it was clear england gave a great taste of music , real rock stuff , very interesting ( U2 , Queen , Bowie ) , and USA only some pop stars weirdos in general ( with few exceptions biensure )

[This message has been edited by IvanClaytonJnr (edited 09-03-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom