Out Of These 3 Producers, Who Would You Like To Produce The New Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lillywhite ( with the help of steve albini
biggrin.gif
)

And what about Steve Osborne?

He has done a superb job with the 2nd album of Placebo ("Without you I'm nothing"), the last Suede album and New Order's comeback, "Get Ready"... keeping those bands fresh and modern-sounding, but also raw and hard rocking...

...that would be my choose...

...and I see Godrich (an amazing producer, too - I love the "Walk on" remix, far more than the original) producing an "Unforgettable Fire" type of album, more relaxed and atmorpheric, but not a punkish-hard rocking type of album...

Not to forget that Osborne has also worked with tha band, adding production to "Do you feel loved" and "MoFo", two of the more hard rocking tunes on U2's whole discography...

I wouldn't mind seeing Nigel Godrich give it a go. But if the band are really writing punk tunes, perhaps Steve Albini or even a relative unknown like Tim O'Heir or Brian Paulson.

Originally posted by mug222:
Wrong attitude, in my opinion. If U2 had this philosophy we'd be listening to Joshua Tree Part 13 as we speak.

i don't mean if the sound isn't broken, i mean the relationship between the artist and producer. if that bond isn't broken, don't fix it. the music will still evolve.

producers help create a sound, but it's the musicians who have to do their own evolving. U2 is in a different mindset then they were in 1987. i think achtung baby and everything after would have happened no matter what producer they use.

U2 is not a band who is molded by their producer. they are their own artists.

------------------
Does love light up your Christmas tree?

Happy Holidays!

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

...if God will send his angels...

Flood & The Edge ...

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Originally posted by david:
Moby can make rockin tunes. I'm pretty sure he put out a stripped down rock album once. I know I heard a Moby song called "That's when I reach For my Revolver" it was rather punkish, sounded kind of like Wire and Elastica.

On Animal Rights, half of the songs are speedmetal, and the other half are slow ambient pieces.

Yes I know I am supposed to choose one of the three...but I suggest this.

Producer: The Edge w/Gavin Friday

also...Alain Johannes (Eleven, Chris Cornell, Live, STP, No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden...among many others.)

If Lanois and Eno are not available then I would like to see Nigel Godrich as producer. His Walk On remix and additional production are fantastic. His work with Radiohead and Travis is fantastic. I think he would really help to continue to push U2 in their latest direction - guitar rock with a hint of ambience. He's just so good at getting the right guitar sound as you can here on his Walk On mix.
I reckon Flood and Lillywhite should provide additional production and mixing.

Originally posted by PopFly:
Um, this is a bit of an overstatement. Pride? Mysterious Ways? One?
I did say "practically" every hit.
wink.gif
Besides, 'Mysterious Ways', 'One', and even 'Pride' weren't as big as 'I Still Haven't Found', 'With or Without You' and -- possibly Doctorwho could help us out here, but I believe -- 'Streets' as well.

------------------
The Tempest

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dr. Dre! Everything he touches turns to gold! hehehehe

------------------
But that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
-Dennis Miller

Dressing like your sister, living like a tart. They don't know what you're doing, babe it must be art. You're a headache... in a suitcase... You're a star.
come september alot can change
summer's love turns to winter's pain in new york

William Orbit, Lillywhite, or Goodrich. However, I don't want U2 to be atmospheric alah Radiohead/ Travis/ REM... That just seems like his imprint... heck his mixing of Walk On, although good, was more about atmosphere. Atmosphere is good, but is that what people want of U2 when they have somewhat gone over aspects of that in the past? I used to think the way of Radiohead, Coldplay, and Travis were the next big thing and presented interesting avenues, but after seeing Jimmy Eat World and hearing the rumors about punk sounding U2... U2 should try to stray from that sound, or not be as influenced by it.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

well, if it's gonna be a punk-rock record, I think Lillywhite would be the man for the job, but, quite frankly, I don't see it happening, since our friend Steve will be busy with the Coldplay record.

so Nigel it is...

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
Not be influenced by Radiohead... that is. Not too much.

Ah, but I think it is possible to mix a "punk" sound with a Radiohead-type sound. Just listen to the last 40 seconds of 'Beautiful Day' (the part starting with "What you don't have you don't need it now..."). When I first heard that clip 2 months before the album came out, the first thing I thought was, "Wow, this sounds like an uplifting, punkish version of Radiohead." Kind of like Radiohead meets prozac (the drug, not the band! Wouldn't that be the end...). In short, I think Goodrich would be able to bring an ambient influence, much like he employs with Radiohead, but keep the mood totally different, more punk sounding. If the whole album could take off where the end of 'Beautiful Day' left off, I would be one happy camper.
smile.gif

On a side note, when I fist listened to that clip it also reminded me of Oasis. It was kind of like a mix between Oasis, Radiohead, and classic U2. Did anyone else think this?

------------------
The Tempest

One more thing...I guess it was more Bends era Radiohead that it reminded me of, so I can see how you wouldn't want it to be influenced too much from the OK Computer sound. It (the clip of BD) was more raw, more guitar oriented, which does evoke the Bends and Oasis more than OK Computer, so forget the entire tangent I was on...(it's been a long day).

------------------
The Tempest

Back
Top Bottom