Other New Releases A Week Before U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
allaccess.com is reporting the following Nov 16th release dates thus far -

Bon Jovi Box Set "One Million Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong"

Britney Spears "Greatest Hits"

Chingy (I don't know who this is) New Studio Album

Chingy I'm not afraid of U2 surpassing. What about Bon Jovi and Britney, and also the post regearding Eminem?

U2Fan101 said:

Chingy I'm not afraid of U2 surpassing. What about Bon Jovi and Britney, and also the post regearding Eminem?

The only release that is a problem so far is Eminem. If Eminem sales a million or more copies in his first week, U2 will have a tough time topping him in the second week. But I think If Eminem sales less than say 900,000 copies in his first week, that U2 will be able to hit #1 the following week. Typically second week sales are 50% of first week sales.

But this is just the United States which only makes up 33% of the global market for music. Remember there are dozens of other countries where U2 will easily hit #1. U2 could break the record this year. The record is hitting #1 in 35 different countries set by the Beatles "1" album 4 years ago.

anyone else have a problem with britney spears having a "greatest hits" album?
Just can't wait for the offical word on the date for the u2 album

I'm only concerned about 1 U2 album sale, the one I buy. I can't wait to get it at Tower Records in Lincoln Center, pop it in my new CD player, crank and drive 30 miles north to my apartment. Then sit up all nite and devour it.

I really could care less about any other artist possibly hurting U2's sales. The content of U2's album is all I'm concerned with.

^ :yes: They have 2 guarunteed sales from my house alone, between my brother and myself.

Nothing is going to hurt U2's album except crappy music. It's all good and well to want our boys to do well in the charts, but basically they'll clean up on the tour circuit. I don't like making predictions on album charts, but I can guarantee you that it will be a Top 5 or higher album in its debut.

Great songs and radio airplay will dictate its sales, but I can almost guarantee 2 million in the US alone, based on an old and rabid fan base.

I am also only concerned about the one album I buy. I am flying up to Seattle the day of the album release. I'm going to buy it in the morning and bring my headphones. Nobody talk to me on the plane.

My thoughts:

1 - That title from Bon Jovi is the most pretensious thing i've heard in a big while

2 - We are talking about the 11th u2 album, 24 years after the first one. I think it's memorable that the 11th album from a band with such longevity, exposed and relevant for so long is able to compete with albuns from marketed artists (if we can call that) designed to sell themselves fast to the hungry consumer teenagers . At the end, who will know who is eminem and britney in 10 years? We will have younger ones replacing them for the next generation. remember the spice girls, boby brown, ...

3 - In europe u2 will beat them all.

Bon Jovi is an idiot. I've been saying that for years and this is another proof. I mean, how IDIOTIC can you be to have this title for a compilation?

Hey, if I had something millions of people would buy, I'd put it out too. No matter how dumb it sounds.

No box set is going to come close to number one, especially Bon Jovi. Box sets sales are more slow and sustained and this is also coming from a band that already has a greatest hits. No worries there. The Britney thing will be pretty big unfortunately because parents with no clue will buy it for their brainwashed, slow-witted children for christmas.

Actually Chingy may be a big one besides Eminem to worry about. He had a huge hit this last year and rap albums usually open pretty strong coming off a hot song but then drop quickly if they can't come up with another hit. I think U2 may have to settle for number 2 or 3 again. Number one sure would be cool though.

Last edited:
U2Fan101 said:

I hope less than 1 million peoply buy that lame Bon Jovi thing.

and the Britney Spears Greatest Hits album actually excites me. could this be the end to her long and illustrious carrer? :ohmy: :sad: :wink: :madspit: :D

djerdap said:
Bon Jovi is an idiot. I've been saying that for years and this is another proof. I mean, how IDIOTIC can you be to have this title for a compilation?

Well, I think it's a nice in-joke as it refers to the Elvis Presley compilation album 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong (or was it 500,000,000). Maybe it doesn't look that good with the Bon Jovi name, but it sure is better than a Brittney Spears Greatest Hits.

*was surprised to see a Best Of Macy Gray a few weeks ago*

MaxFisher said:
Britney Spears has only been making music for 5 years. Greatest Hits album?!?....give me a break!

That's music she's been making? Could have fooled me ...

Popmartijn said:

THE HELL?! She's had, like, one hit song and all her stuff since then has tanked...commercially AND critically :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

EDIT: Anyway, I'd say U2 opens up at numero deux, but with the biggest opening in sales that the band has ever experienced :dance:

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Well, I think it's a nice in-joke as it refers to the Elvis Presley compilation album 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong (or was it 500,000,000). Maybe it doesn't look that good with the Bon Jovi name, but it sure is better than a Brittney Spears Greatest Hits.

Thanks, man... Now I have even WORSE impression with this name.

Apparently my second fav band of all time, Live are releasing a greatest hits cd (with unreleased new song and possibly a bonus dvd or bsides disc) in time for xmas, could clash with u2's new album.

Im gonna be busy with u2 and rem releasing new stuff, live's cd might just make it even more busy....good times for rock n roll...

While U2 may not be no. 1 in US (I'm surprised the record company allowed two major names release albums a week apart?), I'd like to see how all the mentioned bands/singers do worldwide compared to U2?

:macdevil:

Misery always comes in packs

========================

a little flame, not in vain
created electric dancing shadows
on the white sealing of my brain

Back
Top Bottom