Other bands covering U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
Which of your fav "other" bands would you like to hear cover U2? Which song(s)?

I've always thought Pearl Jam would do a mighty fine cover of Bullet the Blue Sky. Image Vedder belting out the "oooooh"s!

I ran into EV in a guitar shop in Seattle back in '95 and sat there, just me and him, for about 5 minutes - each of us sitting on a stool dinking with acoustic guitars in the little acoustic guitar room. Of course, the whole time I'm trying to think of something cool to say or ask and never said a word. After I left I remembered my BTBS request - too little, too late...

I think DMB might do a nice nice cover of "One"

To be true: I would prefer if U2 keep their song for their own and no other band trying their luck with them. Other bands can be brilliant and good, but covers are never good in my opinion - at least most. I'm strange, but whenever I listen to a song that is originally written by U2 I get sick and have to turn off the radio; like with those BelleFire doing All I Want Is You..... :barf: Most U2 songs are so personal and with other bands playing their songs, it feels as if taking away from U2.... :(

FallingStar said:
To be true: I would prefer if U2 keep their song for their own and no other band trying their luck with them. Other bands can be brilliant and good, but covers are never good in my opinion - at least most. I'm strange, but whenever I listen to a song that is originally written by U2 I get sick and have to turn off the radio; like with those BelleFire doing All I Want Is You..... :barf: Most U2 songs are so personal and with other bands playing their songs, it feels as if taking away from U2.... :(

You took the words out of my mouth. Thats exactly what I was going to say. I will admit that I do love Johnny Cash's cover of ONE tho, thats the only that i like.

I can understand your sentiment, but maybe it's just that only crap bands have covered U2 to this point.

If some really good bands covered U2, I'd see it as a tribute from a great band to a great band!

adamswildhoney said:
You took the words out of my mouth. Thats exactly what I was going to say.

I think we have to be related in a way. :lol: :D

@One Tree Hill: Maybe it would be a tribute from a great band to a great band, but there isn't such a fantastic band around in the moment to be worthy that honour, I fear.....

I can't really let myself listen to other bands cover U2...Because you just KNOW they're going to screw it up somehow.

However...I LOVE the U2/REM combination of "Automatic Baby" when they covered "One."

wertsie said:
However...I LOVE the U2/REM combination of "Automatic Baby" when they covered "One."

I was just going to mention that! I'm not sure it counts as a cover since it was a combination of U2 and REM, but that was a wonderful rendition of the song. Michael Stipe did a fine job on vocals, even though his voice is very different than Bono's.

I absolutely hate the idea of most bands covering U2 songs, but I think Travis could do a good job on "One." Hmmm, I can't think of anyone else at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom