original tracklist for ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iota

War Child
I just want to burn a copy of ATYCLB according to the orginal tracklist order that was released before they changed it. Anyone remember? This is what I think it was, but anyone who has a less fuzzy memory about it, let me know...

BD
Elevation
Walk on
Stuck
Kite
Peace on earth
New York
In a Little While
Wild Honey
When I Look at the World
Grace

OriginalATYCLBtracklist.gif

wow, never knew about that. must ask the obvious: anyone know why they changed it?

i think this balances out the strong and weak tracks a bit better than what they released, which seemed a bit like the Joshua Tree sequence, (the result of someone ordering them from their most to least favorite...)

dr. zooeuss said:
wow, never knew about that. must ask the obvious: anyone know why they changed it?

I believe Edge changed the tracklist at the last minute.

This has been so hyped I must try this track order.

This album might be higher on people's list with the right track listing. It improves itself as a whole to have the songs work together rather than just awkwardly clank up against each other...

The thing I hate the most about ATYCLB is:

IALW
WH
POE
WILATW
NY

To me that order is all over the place and doesn't flow . I need to try the "original" order. U2 must have made the change pretty soon to pressing?

I've never had a complaint about the tracklist for ATYCLB....until I saw the original here.:ohmy: As much as I love the album, there was always something I couldn't put my finger on that made me not hold it in as high a regard as I want to. It's this, I believe. I'm going to listen to the album this way on my iPod and see what I think later.

original tracklist for HTDAAB

It wasn't just ATYCLB, there was also originally a different tracklist for HTDAAB as well, according to the following article from Blender in October of 2004:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3547&Key=&Year=2004&Cat=4

1. Vertigo
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. All Because Of You
6. Love and Peace or Else
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Miracle Drug
9. One Step Close
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yaweh

The main difference is that they switched Crumbs and Miracle, and they moved Love and Peace down a few spots.

Re: original tracklist for HTDAAB

kevink said:
It wasn't just ATYCLB, there was also originally a different tracklist for HTDAAB as well, according to the following article from Blender in October of 2004:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3547&Key=&Year=2004&Cat=4

1. Vertigo
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. All Because Of You
6. Love and Peace or Else
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Miracle Drug
9. One Step Close
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yaweh

The main difference is that they switched Crumbs and Miracle, and they moved Love and Peace down a few spots.

Definitely would have been an improvement...HTDAAB is full of great songs, but has horrible flow. This order would have been fantastic:

1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. Miracle Drug
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. One Step Closer
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. Original of The Species
8. A Man And A Woman
9. Crumbs
10. Love and Peace or Else
11. Yahweh

IMO, this actually has some great flow. 2 rockers on the front...songs 3-7 flow together great and it actually feels like there's a bit of a story going on there. Songs 9-11 end the album with a plea for peace, love...ect Try it!

I haven't tried this new tracklist for All That You Can't Leave Behind yet, but just going to go ahead and say I actually liked the old one(uh, old one as in the one that actually made the album) :madspit: :)

Last edited:
I always make a point of saying this when the topic comes up, but I read about this original track order for ATYCLB the week it came out. I burned a copy of the CD with it, and haven't listened to the release version since.

The decision to change it stems from a back and forth between Bono & Edge about having a slow song (Stuck, in this case), in the #2 slot. Apparently Bono didn't like it, but Edge won the argument.

So blame him.

I haven't tried that alternate track order for HTDAAB, but it never really bothered me that much. Miracle Drug picks up enough on the chorus to avoid being classified as a slow song. If anything, though, I'd put ABOY at #2 before Crumbs as suggested above. The verses on Crumbs are pretty plodding, the melody almost awkward to me, and I don't consider it a more driving song than MD. The bridge and chorus are great, and I still like the song a lot, but not enough to move it to the top of the album.

The red text seems to be some sort of tracklisting:

Vertigo
Crumbs
Sometimes
Love and Peace
Firefly
Miracle Drug
Mercy
Man+Woman
One Step
All Because of You
Original
Yahweh

-Xanax

I guess Firefly and City of Burning Lights were the original titles for City of Blinding Lights.
QOctober2004.jpg

Jeez, they need to get someone better to organize their tracklistings------both those rearranged ATYCLB and HTDAAB tracklists seem sooooo much better---and I like both albums to start with! The ATYCLB one seems best---it really makes it so that there's a reason to listen to the second half of the album besides "appreciation." :wink:

Am I crazy, or when the tracklisting for ATYCLB was first released on U2.com way back when, there were 12 songs and one of them was called "Home"?

I know I didn't dream that up. Then a week later or two weeks later, "Home" disappeared and they had the 11-track list that you see up above.

And no, "Home" wasn't a link to the homepage.

I still love the way the drums start Stuck in a moment after the outro of Beautiful Day

Re: Re: original tracklist for HTDAAB

ImOuttaControl said:
This order would have been fantastic:
1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. Miracle Drug
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. One Step Closer
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. Original of The Species
8. A Man And A Woman
9. Crumbs
10. Love and Peace or Else
11. Yahweh
I think this looks like a great track flow. I'll playlist it and enjoy!

Chill Mike D said:
Am I crazy, or when the tracklisting for ATYCLB was first released on U2.com way back when, there were 12 songs and one of them was called "Home"?

I know I didn't dream that up. Then a week later or two weeks later, "Home" disappeared and they had the 11-track list that you see up above.

And no, "Home" wasn't a link to the homepage.

I'm positive that Home found it's way into Walk On, but I wasn't a big fan before All That You Can't Leave Behind so I can't say for sure that I've seen it on u2.com.

ATYCLB has the most severe A-B shift of any U2 album. The first six songs are clearly better than the last five, and the dropoff impacts the overall album. This isn't to say that Wild Honey an company are bad songs, but they are a step down from the first six. Usually there's more of a flow between the stronger and weaker tracks, and it's unusual that ATYCLB would be so heavily front-loaded.

Hmm

This topic brings to mind an interesting question: How important is a tracklisting nowadays? I mean, how many people actually listen to a CD in the player consistently in the programmed order? It's not like 1970 when you had to physically get up, cross the room, and flip over the vinyl, then set the needle on it. If everyone is listening to music on computers, iPods/mp3s, and personally burned CDs, then who cares about the original tracklisting anyway? Really, the tracklisting only matters in so much as it gives people a strong 'first impression' of the record.

Anyhoo, I don't consider 'Stuck in a Moment' a "slow song," but I do think it sounded very odd upon first listening to this album back in 2000. My only beef with ATYCLB -- which I think is a major achievement and a fantastic record -- is the production job. They played it safe going back to Lanois for it, and it paid off in sales, but I don't think it worked well. There are some real heavy lyrics and themes on the album that don't mesh well with the smooth production and vocals-turned-up-to-10 mix. There's way too much of Bono's voice on the tracks and not enough electric guitar.

Now, the Atomic Bomb album is a well-produced/mixed effort!

^ I'm big on tracklisting because of the feel it gives to the album. I think that skipping around is fine once you know the album well (although I still rarely do this) or for a band that you aren't really into & only want to hear the songs you love. For a band I'm really into---i.e., U2---I usually play the whole thing straight through...or a whole section straight through. To each their own!

No way, I don't like those alternatives...

ATYCLB and HTDAAB tracklists shoud've been:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Walk On
Kite
When I Look At The World
Levitate
In A Little While
Wild Honey
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet