original tracklist for ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aygo said:
No way, I don't like those alternatives...

ATYCLB and HTDAAB tracklists shoud've been:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Walk On
Kite
When I Look At The World
Levitate
In A Little While
Wild Honey
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace

Love And Peace Or Else
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Crumbs From Your Table
All Because Of You
Fast Cars
Mercy
One Step Closer
City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species
Yahweh

Problem is, IMO, is that if U2 really, really, wanted to include songs like mercy, fast cars, levitate, or the ground beneath her feet--they would have included them in the standard release. TGBHF and Fast Cars were bonus track, Mercy was never released, and Levitate was an ATYCLB outtake.

I believe in sticking with the songs that they intended to include on the album...only I think their track listing choices have been pretty crappy on the last 2 albums. (I don't have this complaint on any other U2 album).

Swap POE, WIALTW and Grace for Ground beneath her feet, Stateless and Levitate and you have a really good album. Sometimes Bono should get his way.

Bomb is probably the best song selection for an album they did since AB. (Smile isn't good enough to be on it, Fast cars and Mercy would be better off as starting points for LP 12)

Re: Hmm

65980 said:
This topic brings to mind an interesting question: How important is a tracklisting nowadays? I mean, how many people actually listen to a CD in the player consistently in the programmed order? It's not like 1970 when you had to physically get up, cross the room, and flip over the vinyl, then set the needle on it. If everyone is listening to music on computers, iPods/mp3s, and personally burned CDs, then who cares about the original tracklisting anyway? Really, the tracklisting only matters in so much as it gives people a strong 'first impression' of the record.

I can agree with what you say to a certain extent, but I think that the argument is more that what turns an ordinary album into an extraordinary one is the tracklisting's coherence. Take, for example, one of my favourite albums of all time, Radiohead's Kid A. There are two pieces, Limbo and Treefingers that, taken out of context, wouldn't stand up to listening in the way that the album as a whole does, but, in the context of providing a bridge between tracks and sections of the album, they work perfectly. This reinforces the album as a piece of art by making it work as a coherent piece rather than as a sum of constituent parts. This is what vaults an album far above a collection of singles, for example. A good album will always amount to more than the sum of its parts. If a record doesn't hold well together, it lets it down. The same, of course, goes for a mix-CD or a playlist, and is the reason why some people, like myself, can't abide the shuffle function on iTunes/iPod.

Re: Re: Hmm

PookaMacP said:

I can agree with what you say to a certain extent, but I think that the argument is more that what turns an ordinary album into an extraordinary one is the tracklisting's coherence. Take, for example, one of my favourite albums of all time, Radiohead's Kid A. There are two pieces, Limbo and Treefingers that, taken out of context, wouldn't stand up to listening in the way that the album as a whole does, but, in the context of providing a bridge between tracks and sections of the album, they work perfectly. This reinforces the album as a piece of art by making it work as a coherent piece rather than as a sum of constituent parts. This is what vaults an album far above a collection of singles, for example. A good album will always amount to more than the sum of its parts. If a record doesn't hold well together, it lets it down. The same, of course, goes for a mix-CD or a playlist, and is the reason why some people, like myself, can't abide the shuffle function on iTunes/iPod.

You are correct, sir. I'd like to see the band do some interludes between other tracks sometime soon. It worked with The Unforgettable Fire, didn't it?

U2girl said:
Swap POE, WIALTW and Grace for Ground beneath her feet, Stateless and Levitate and you have a really good album. Sometimes Bono should get his way.

Bomb is probably the best song selection for an album they did since AB. (Smile isn't good enough to be on it, Fast cars and Mercy would be better off as starting points for LP 12)

you cannot take out WILATW. that's one of the best songs on the album!

:shrug: To each his own. I feel like Bono's written plethora of better faith-based lyrics. I like the guitars.
I also think the song is produced half-way between glossy pop (the keyboards) and a heavyer rock song (the guitars, also the buzzying notes in the last verse in the background, possibly the militaristic drum beat as well).

I remember reading they wanted a real heavy song sound-wise originally with this one.

:madspit:

I like the song, I just think those two depress the mood on ATYCLB too much (yes, mortality comes up as a theme but still) and Grace is their worst closer since Is that all.
They would possibly work better on their first post 9/11 album.

Or, I should say, Grace would fit on MDH soundtrack more than a U2 album.
POE and WILATW are especially downers coming after bittersweet-yet-optimistic AILW and Wild honey.

I would say the biggest crime on ATYCLB is putting Stuck after BD. The intro drums are so freakin awkward after BD ends. Zero flow. Kinda like Miracle Drug after Vertigo. BD - Elevation & Vertigo - ABOY ftw!

Also, they should've made Stuck a little acoustic, if not fully. Jick's mix was perfection. :drool:

I'm sorry, but as much as you can improve the flow, the last five songs of ATYCLB still are really weak. And the studio version of Elevation sucks, which cannot be stressed enough.

Still, both albums are better arranged in this thread than in reality.

I agree with those pairings, but I don't mind the "official" transitions either. I still think that's better than One * UTEOTW or WOWY * Bullet.

I like the studio version of Stuck, and much as I like U2's acoustic songs, I think Stuck lost something in that version. The most annoying thing are those fake horns live and Adam and Larry's playing for about 5 seconds on the last tour. Either play full band of acoustic all the way.

I like ATYCLB's official tracklisting up until song6/7 but then it loses the punch and the mood drops. It's like someone said "woah woah WOAH, let's add some philosophysing/heavy stuff in this one. It's too chirpy and feelgood".

In contrast I feel Bomb works better, even with LAPOE and especially AMAAW feeling a bit out of place. Songs 8-11 run on Bomb ... :up:

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I agree with those pairings, but I don't mind the "official" transitions either. I still think that's better than One * UTEOTW or WOWY * Bullet.

:no: I refuse to touch JT or AB. Sure, the flow could be improved in some parts but UTEOTW occurs naturally in my mind after One ends and same with Bullet after WOWY. It's like the sequence is imprinted on the brain. :drool: :wink:

U2girl said:
I like the studio version of Stuck, and much as I like U2's acoustic songs, I think Stuck lost something in that version.

Jick's version takes the best parts of both versions and brings everything together seamlessly. God it's brilliant! :drool:

Or they could really go all the way for the "pop album" idea after Wild honey and go with Flower child, Summer rain, Are you gonna wait forever and Levitate on ATYCLB.

Levitate should have really replaced the inferior Elevation as track 2 after BD. That said, there is something fun about Elevation despite the throwaway lyrics. Flower Child is good but I think it drags on a bit too long.

:hmm:

Beautiful Day
Levitate
Walk On (single)
Kite
Stuck In A Moment (J mix)
In A Little While
Stateless
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace

:drool:

Elevation would've been cool if it were just for the Tomb Raider soundtrack like Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me was for Batman Forever.

That being said, Hold Me... is still one of their best '90s songs while Elevation is still a decent throwaway tune.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Elevation would've been cool if it were just for the Tomb Raider soundtrack like Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me was for Batman Forever.

That being said, Hold Me... is still one of their best '90s songs while Elevation is still a decent throwaway tune.

That is a brilliant idea! :ohmy: It should've just been released as part of the Tomb Raider soundtrack and that would leave Levitate to take it's place on ATYCLB. :drool: And I agree that Hold Me Thrill Me is one of the best songs of the 90s. It's in my Top 10 of all time.

Hold Me... should've been on Pop, it's a perfect companion piece to Gone.

God, I do not want to turn this into another Pop vs. Everything thread, but here's my ideal playlist:

1. Mofo
2. Discotheque
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. If God Will Send His Angels (Single)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Last Night on Earth
7. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
8. Gone (Mike Hedges Mix)
9. Miami
10. The Playboy Mansion
11. North and South of the River
12. Please (Single)

North and South... and Wake Up Dead Man cancel each other out, and North and South... is one of my favorite U2 songs. Velvet Dress has some playful lyrics and a great bassline, but it doesn't fit anywhere on my list and would be a great b-side to Discotheque or something. The single version inclusions are simply because I find them superior to the album versions, especially Please and If God...

Please now acts as the emotional and literal climax of the album, which fits the Gilded Age-theme of the entire album. Once the glam of the first half of the album is chipped away, you're left with nothing. Gone and Hold Me... are the lynch-pins that make this theme work, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Levitate should have really replaced the inferior Elevation as track 2 after BD. That said, there is something fun about Elevation despite the throwaway lyrics. Flower Child is good but I think it drags on a bit too long.

:hmm:
Levitate switching Elevation is interesting...still that leaves the three "espresso depresso" songs on second half of ATYCLB.

I tried listening to the songs and Stateless and GBHF doesn't work with the rest of ATYCLB.

As far as alt versions, ABOY text ftw. I still hope they will put those lyrics on an album...alone the "universe decoded" line is pure gold.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Hold Me... should've been on Pop, it's a perfect companion piece to Gone.

God, I do not want to turn this into another Pop vs. Everything thread, but here's my ideal playlist:

1. Mofo
2. Discotheque
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. If God Will Send His Angels (Single)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Last Night on Earth
7. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
8. Gone (Mike Hedges Mix)
9. Miami
10. The Playboy Mansion
11. North and South of the River
12. Please (Single)

North and South... and Wake Up Dead Man cancel each other out, and North and South... is one of my favorite U2 songs. Velvet Dress has some playful lyrics and a great bassline, but it doesn't fit anywhere on my list and would be a great b-side to Discotheque or something. The single version inclusions are simply because I find them superior to the album versions, especially Please and If God...

Please now acts as the emotional and literal climax of the album, which fits the Gilded Age-theme of the entire album. Once the glam of the first half of the album is chipped away, you're left with nothing. Gone and Hold Me... are the lynch-pins that make this theme work, in my opinion.

I agree with much of what you done here, except for using ANYTHING other than the album version of Gone, and I still think you need the trademark downbeat U2 coda after the big climactic song (Grace, Love is Blindness, Mothers). That way you can use WUDM, and I don't see why it and N&S are mutually exclusive.

I did a reworking once that included N&S and put Mofo at track one. The difference is that I pushed Discotheque down to open Side 2. DYFL is too disposable to be anything other than track 2, which is where EBTTRT and Elevation go, and where ABOY should be on Bomb. Discotheque deserves its own spotlight instead of coming after a heavy hitter like Mofo.

I also think SATS should be in the ballad slot at #3. If God... works nicely as a Side 1 closer. Gone is really the thematic center of the album, and should be somewhere around 4 or 5.

I think I love Hold Me as much as you do, but it's not really from these sessions. I wouldn't know where to put it either. It does have something in common with Gone, but it's not dark enough, and the glam is too much of a contrast to everything else from a musical standpoint.

This is just from memory, but I think this is what I came up with a few years ago:

1. Mofo
2. DYFL
3. SATS
4. Gone
5. North and South
6. Last Night
7. If God...

8. Discotheque
9. Miami
10. Playboy
11. Please
12. Wake Up

I previously had Velvet Dress in its original spot, but I think you could live without it.

Back
Top Bottom