Original of The Species not working for me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Well, I got the album yesterday, and listened to it for the first time (yep, I was a virgin :)), and all I can say is that it passed all my expectations. It's simply incredible. I've eben waiting four years for this and it was totally worth it. I feel every song this record is nearly perfect, and there were so maqny surprises. A Man and a Woman, and Crumbs totally blew me away, as I was expecting them to be the least impressive on the album. BOy was I wrong. Right now though, my favorites here are
1. Miracle Drug :drool: :drool: :drool:
2. City of blinding Lights
3. Sometimes

One thing is bothering me a little though. Froma ll the hype here on Interference about Original of the Species, I was expecting a lot more from this song. It might acctually be my least favorite on here aside from One Step Closer. Dont' get me wrong, I love both these songs, but I am just surpirsed at how this song hit me. I am suspecting this might just be like the ultimate grower, but I don't know. It certainly has a Beatles vibe to it, which is great becuase I love the Beatles. Maybe I'm crazy :huh:

I still have problems with the following: Crumbs, A Man And A Woman, Original Of The Species and Yahweh.
Yes - i have a big problem... :|

Crumbs reminds me of The Bends era Radiohead which is why I love tis song soooooooo much. A Man and A Woman is just great. I don't know why, don't ask me why, I just think it is. Yahweh is great too, but not one of the best on the album. I love the skin and bones lyrics. One of the problems with OOTS is that it's quite different from the rest of the songs on side 2 of the album. It certainly sounds like an ATYCLB song, only better. It just hasn't "clicked" with me yet.

I don't think Crumbs is as good as some Bends-era song. At least to me...
And in A Man and A Woman the only thing I hate is the melody. I'll say it again: Sting. (I don't hate Sting)

All of you have it wrong- there ALL FRICKEN BRILLIANT SONGs- I dont know where you get the OOTS has a paul macartney in it, Listen to it full blast in you car, its so goooooodddddd. SAME AS YAWEH - Geez, I hate trying to defend U2 songs, but really every song on the album is fricken brilliant.

Well, I don't really know too much about Sting (don't really care either either way) But I sort of agree with you about Crumbs. First of all, The Bends is one of the best albums of the 90's. Crumbs, while I think it's great, of course isn't as good as some of the Bends-era songs. what i meant was that it had the same sort of stripped guitar driven sound to it, and the melody even reminds me of songs like Black Star, The Bends, and Sulk from that album.

OOTS is a bit overrated IMO.

The music is great...the lyrics fall a little short. The chorus is so BIG but the words he is saying don't have that much impact. "Everywhere you go you shout it..." this line seems like it would be part of a verse that you only hear once. It's not a bad line, it just isn't grand enough for that overblown music in the chorus. A more poignant/creative line would have made this song so much better. I am sad to say that as much as I love this album, I think Bono is the "weakest Link" throughout.

Does anyone else feel this way?

macphisto23 said:
All of you have it wrong- there ALL FRICKEN BRILLIANT SONGs- I dont know where you get the OOTS has a paul macartney in it, Listen to it full blast in you car, its so goooooodddddd. SAME AS YAWEH - Geez, I hate trying to defend U2 songs, but really every song on the album is fricken brilliant.

who the hell said these songs weren't great? I sure didn't. I acctually said I liked them. Yahweh is f**king brilliant, love it. My whole point was that OOTS just needs to grow on me some more. I know it's gonna be a classic song, but it just hasn't gotten their yet in my ears. Trust me, by the end of the week, I know i'll be in love with this track.

Lancemc said:

who the hell said these songs weren't great? I sure didn't. I acctually said I liked them. Yahweh is f**king brilliant, love it. My whole point was that OOTS just needs to grow on me some more. I know it's gonna be a classic song, but it just hasn't gotten their yet in my ears. Trust me, by the end of the week, I know i'll be in love with this track.

Who in the hell said that you said these songs werent great?

macphisto23 said:

Who in the hell said that you said these songs werent great?

Maybe the fact that you said "All of you have it wrong- there ALL FRICKEN BRILLIANT SONGs" has something to do with it.

part of me wishes i could hear all these songs without bono. just to get a sense of his input.

I love all the new songs. I'd say it's very hard to compare it to All That You Can't Leave Behind because the New Album is SO GOOD. ATYCLB had some great songs, but after so long, you want to skip a few of them. Atomic Bomb to me is what they tried to do in 2000, and after a dozen listens, I still love every freaking song. I don't see myself skipping by any one of them unless I'm in the mood for a particular song.

teebee said:
part of me wishes i could hear all these songs without bono. just to get a sense of his input.

I used to think that.

Until you read how much Bono loved Mercy or Levitate, and you hear them and they are clearly album worthy and you hear "certain" tracks make the cut.

I have a solution:Blame Larry.

i jest

Damn, I LOVE OOTS. I don't understand the indifference to it. It was the first song from the album to give me the chills and the tears well up in my eyes. I love the piano part, and Bonos voice on this one.

Right now it's these for me:

ABOY
COBL
OOTS

And yes it was different than a few days ago. LOL. :shrug:

Yeah OOTS is a cool song. Maybe a grower for some, but a good, concise pop song that seeps into the unconscience and has you humming all day long.

My favorites right now are:

CFYT
LAPOE
OSC

As for One Step Closer, this is the classic U2 closing song. It's kinda like they threw us a curve ball with Yahweh (which is much better than I thought) and put the more mid-tempo song to close.

OSC just has this hypnotic feel that draws me in gives me a feel of not knowing but striving to know somehow. I understand why some people don't like it, but I guarantee you when most of these people have 5 years on them they will love this song.

/Waiting to hear it paid off

Hmm, it already grew on me. I was hooked when Bono starts the chorus, "everywhere you go you shout it.."

I wasn't quite a virgin, I didn't download anything, but I heard some HTDAAB tracks on the radio before it was released.

I did however, get to be very happily surprised, when I was flipping around radio stations, and heard "City of Blinding Lights". I didn't know who it was by til I heard Bono singing!

"Ooh I'm liking this song, *singing starts* it's U2! It's a new U2 song!"

That was cool, so I dunno, maybe it's the happy surprise of liking a song, and finding out it's by your favourite band, the way the song sounds, the chorus, I really like that one.

So far, my top 3 are--

City of Blinding Lights
Original of the Species
A Man and a Woman

Back
Top Bottom