Original of the Species/Next Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjflyer

The Fly
Hi all,

I'm a new member here so hello to everyone. I'm from the Greater Philadelphia region and I've seen U2 on the past 2 tours.

I was wondering, do you all see 'Original of the Species' getting any play time on the next U2 tour? I know history tells us that when Bono tours to promote a new album alot of the "new" stuff from the last tour gets dropped unless it became a hit (i.e. Beautiful Day, Walk On) on the last tour.

But I was wondering if you think it might get play time next tour, because Bono himself was upset it didn't do better because he thought it was the best song on the album, and I really liked the song live, especially the version with Edge on the guitar. Even though this song wasn't played every night, I thought the performing of this song live really gained a lot of stream toward the end of the tour.

might get the odd play time i think but i dont think it will get too much. bit like how miracle drug didnt get much on this tour, first leg then gone really

If they're planning on playing that pathetic, neutered acoustic version again, I'd rather see it axed all together.

If Bono thought it was one of the last album's highlights, they sure didn't do it justice anywhere outside of those few electric performances.

I see OOTS becoming the new "Stuck" on the next tour. Played a few times throughout.

I saw them play it at the Monterrey Mexico show and enjoyed it.

yay youre from philly! I'll see you next tour :)
On the Milan DVD it was done very well but I doubt itll make it through to the next tour

Really depends on what the theme and feel of the next album is. If its fits in with part of that, its possible they will play it. OR if they find an arrangement of it live that they feel justifies the song, they may do it.

My guess is that they wont though and that it isnt played next tour.

lazarus said:
If they're planning on playing that pathetic, neutered acoustic version again, I'd rather see it axed all together.

If Bono thought it was one of the last album's highlights, they sure didn't do it justice anywhere outside of those few electric performances.

Spot on brutha :up:

I hope so, I preferred the early piano versions compared to full band versions, which was a weak attempt at beating the album version at its own game.

Maybe if they play it again drop the piano (or let Bono play it if he knows the instrument well enough by then, or let Terry Lawless play) and just let Edge be on the guitar.

Blue Room said:
Really depends on what the theme and feel of the next album is. If its fits in with part of that, its possible they will play it. OR if they find an arrangement of it live that they feel justifies the song, they may do it.

Exactly right.

Also, I think the fact that Bono likes it so much means it will turn up again, even if just as a rarity....

Really wish they'd played it more on Vertigo, i agree it's one of the best songs from the album, was disappointed not to get to hear it live.

it reminds me a bit of "Stay" in that it's a great song, but never hit big on the pop charts//radiowaves.

Bono has said he thinks "Stay" is one of their best songs of all time, and it has recurred on tours since Zooropa//Zoomerang, though unfortunately not as a staple.

I'd guess that OotS will have a similar future (though I hope it becomes a regular).

I too only like OOTS when Edge is on guitar. That said.....i would rather a "blast from the past" made it into the set in its place.

Considering that it was not a tour regular until the third leg and was fully discarded by the fifth leg, I don't see OOTS having much of a live future at all unless it is drastically rearranged.

A guitar-only version would be interesting. Hell, it worked for RTSS!

OOTS is a good song, would like to see it live......but the only 'great' version is the new, unofficial remix that came out a few months ago....and that'd be tough to pull off live. If they can tinker with it, it'd be nice to see in the setlist.

Utoo said:
OOTS is a good song, would like to see it live......but the only 'great' version is the new, unofficial remix that came out a few months ago....and that'd be tough to pull off live. If they can tinker with it, it'd be nice to see in the setlist.

are you talking about the mix in which i thought he was saying "you sell your body"?

unico said:

are you talking about the mix in which i thought he was saying "you sell your body"?

:lol: Yup. The one where we had to point out that he also wasn't saying "solarity." :wink:

martha said:

I was listening to Stay a few days ago. It really is amazing.

I would have to agree an amazing song. (phenominal) Love it!

Original of the Species is a lovely song, but I think like a few others have said it will have to fit in. Maybe it will get some play time at a few shows, guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Given ATYCLB's largely poor showing on the Vertigo Tour, especially the first two legs, I wouldn't be all too shocked if Vertigo were the only song from HTDAAB performed at at least some shows.

Vertigo tour has seen 6 ATYCLB songs played.

I doubt HTDAAB will get the Zooropa treatment on Popmart, or even the Pop treatment on Vertigo.

martha said:

But HTDAAB craps all over ATYCLB, so it still has a chance.

I now have a reason to use the new smilie, because this comment is so true it makes me want to :yippie:

Aside from Kite, I'd love it if they didn't play a single song from ATYCLB on the next tour. In response to the topic, I don't think OOTS has much of a chance. It just didn't translate too well live, even though it was one of my favorite songs from the album.

I really like OOTS, I do, but every time i get to the "do do" part, I literally cringe. It sounds a w f u l. Even worse live. They should cut that bit and go straight to "sugar come on" and the song would instantly get 10x better.

Back
Top Bottom