Original of the Species bashing thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2_Guy

Refugee
I'm sure i'm not the only one who finds this song cringeworthy. Cheesy synths, cheesy lyrics, horrible vocals by Bono on the chorus (as i've said b4, sounds like the man is seriously constipated while singing it). He is going for a very high register there and it sounds totally restrained and forced.
It's the worst song on this album along with Crumbs from your table. How many of you dislike this song like i do?

And for the Species lovers, what's the appeal of this song?

Wow we're all being stuffed into groups to do with the songs we like................Where is the Love?

BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
Discotheque

This is a classic, Beatles-influenced pop song, you don't always have to re-invent the wheel to write a great tune, and I can't see anything wrong with the vocals...the chorus especially is heartfelt and soulful.

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
This is a classic, Beatles-influenced pop song, you don't always have tp re-invent the wheel to write a great tune, and I can't see anything wrong with the vocals...the chorus especially is heartfelt and soulful.

Good choice of Words

Beautifly crafted song, it builds almost like a childs lullaby..could almost picture him hanging over his newborn baby's cot relaying the experience's of his life..try not to grow up too quick, enjoy the innocence of youth before the harsh reality's of a fucked up world..so many young people now trying to embrace the world of celebrity that they have failed careers, marriages and addiction problems before they are out their teens.

One thing I like is the structure, the chorus comes in unexpectedly, and the intro seems to point to a much moodier song than what it turns out to be...I like how its as if they cross-hatched three songs together to make a single masterpiece!:yes:

Last edited:
I cant criticise Original cos its one of the best songs on the album. Maybe just the mix of the vocals should have been lower, but that can be said of the whole album. Nah, its a good song.

Was the first song on the album other than Vertigo that gripped me right at the start and didnt let go.

Still my favorite song from hut dab. I do think it's (1) overproduced and (2) Bono's voice does strain needlessly at certain parts.

I say it's overproduced because there are far too many sounds/instruments going on at once during the verses. I think The Edge's electric guitar, which is a highlight, is drowned out in the second verse.

Regarding Bono's voice, it does strain needlessly in the first chorus. However, the 2nd and (particularly) the 3rd choruses are hit just right. He's still singing in the upper registers but matches the emotion of the song perfectly.

The song's message is what really draws me to the song. The way Bono sings it, it's evident that he's relating to young Holly much like how he felt when he was coming of age. He knows the triumphs and pitfalls of teen-hood and perfectly conveys that in the song.

my favourite off the bomb. it's so uplifting and joyous.

i could do without the strings and the piano, but hopefully this will be remedied on the tour (where they will play this song live, with fullout jangly guitars!).

:drool:

some good points here. Unfortunetly, I can't get past the overproduction. The strings especially. It's too done up. I still thinks it's a strong song, but in the end its one of my least favorites. After hearing that small snippet on the CBS 60 minutes special years back, and then hearing the stripped-down I-Pod performance, I had huge hopes. It's such a great song at heart, just the extras thrown on it put it at the bottom of HTDAAB. Still listen to it all the time though :wink: (also don't like the "doo doo doo" lines)

Last edited:
One of the things that really pleased me about HTDAAB was that it featured two ballads (OOTS and Sometimes) that stand up to their best ballads of the past..this was lacking in the previous two albums in my view.

U2_Guy said:
And for the Species lovers, what's the appeal of this song?

The lyrics, the melody, the voice.

True the last chorus sounds different - but it's done more emotionally, so it's not a problem - but other than that, this is - along with Sometimes... and A man and a woman - Bono's best vocal on HTDAAB.

Last edited:
and to add what i said about it being the "best" song on the album, you guys are really going out of your way now to try and get under everyones skin.

Original of the Species is, at once, the best song on the album and the most disappointing. It has real beauty at its core, but it's disguised behind layer upon layer of overwrought production. It reminds me of a Jim Steinman song from the 80's. For those who don't remember, he was the writer/producer of all those cheesy epics by Meatloaf. Oh, and who can forget his work on Total Eclipse of the Heart. Ish.

I'm praying that when it's released as a single it will be the one they record live on the acoustic stage.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Looks like U2_Guy didn't get the result he hoped for :D

Yea the forces of good have prevailed once again or however it goes wtf:drool:

Xanax and Wine should be in it's place, with Mercy preceeding it.

an okay song, not album worthy though, the synths in the first prechours thing are aweful and sounf like Oasis. But not in a good way...the song does pick up halfway through and is good till the end, but the first minute or so is aweful and does't fit the album...shoulda been Xanax....

Original of the Species is currently my favourite track. I find it a very uplifting song, esp from the "Sugar, come on..." line onwards.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Looks like U2_Guy didn't get the result he hoped for :D

What result, my child? I asked the Species lovers (like yourself) the reasons why they like the song too... I got the "results" i wanted. 99% of the answers are explaining why Species lovers like the tune.

I knew from the start my opinion was a minority one. I'm not naive babe.

(mmmmmmh the control has been took back, was it ever gone?)

nervously waiting for something to happen.......... yes that's it die muthafucka die, OOTS is amazing.

I think one of those moments of rare musical perfection occurs in the chorus for OOTS. You know what I'm talking about. Edge's guitar for the "Everywhere you go you shout it..." lines. The absolute perfect sound to come at that time. That to me is the perfect representation of joy through music. :up:

And I'm saying all this because I'm out to get you.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom