Original of the Species bashing thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2_Guy said:

What result, my child? I asked the Species lovers (like yourself) the reasons why they like the song too... I got the "results" i wanted. 99% of the answers are explaining why Species lovers like the tune.

I knew from the start my opinion was a minority one. I'm not naive babe.

Why call it a "bashing" thread then? ;)

This is definatly in my top 3 on the album an album that is beautiful from front to back...If this is released as a single it will win Record of the year....

Sleep Over Jack said:

Why call it a "bashing" thread then? ;)

I knew if i use the word "bashing" ppl like you and others (like Axver, U2girl, Ukitten, zero dude, u2s80sisdabest or whatever) would run to this thread. And i get a kick out of reading your responses ppl! I love you guys this much!

U2_Guy said:
I'm sure i'm not the only one who finds this song cringeworthy. Cheesy synths, cheesy lyrics, horrible vocals by Bono on the chorus (as i've said b4, sounds like the man is seriously constipated while singing it). He is going for a very high register there and it sounds totally restrained and forced.
It's the worst song on this album along with Crumbs from your table. How many of you dislike this song like i do?

And for the Species lovers, what's the appeal of this song?

I really dislike this song, sorry folks :(

one of the most pointless U2 music compositions ever, as well it was The Hands That Built America, another tune that goes nowhere :ohmy:

i agree the synth strings where a bit crappy, but overall its my 2nd fave (i fink...) on the album.
it seems to have 2 pre choruses. (or is it 2 choruses?)

’ll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want
You are the first one of your kind

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not

theyre pre choruses aint they?:eyebrow:

i especially like the "You’ve been keeping your love under control" though i feel he should have let the note last a little longer.

i must admit its not really the tune i like about it, its the vocal and the lyrics.

remember its bout his eldest (and edges i believe) daughter. if you dont get the lyric. :wink:

im not that bg on crumbs myself. i just dont get it. but then they did write it when they where drunk. :shrug:

Re: Re: Original of the Species bashing thread

ponkine said:

one of the most pointless U2 music compositions ever, as well it was The Hands That Built America, another tune that goes nowhere :ohmy:

Ponkine, what do you like...besides Pop (and that I'm just assuming)? I'm just interested to know, because I have never seen a post you've written where you actually state you like anything by U2. :eyebrow: It's obvious you don't like ATYCLB and HTDAAB, so I'm curious to know what you like about U2.

By the way OOTS was a grower, and then one night it just came to me. I agree that it's a bit overdone, but it has a dreamlike quality I find pleasing.

U2_Guy said:

I knew if i use the word "bashing" ppl like you and others (like Axver, U2girl, Ukitten, zero dude, u2s80sisdabest or whatever) would run to this thread. And i get a kick out of reading your responses ppl! I love you guys this much!

I love you too U2_Guy, and I hope you continue to post in your vigorously even-handed manner!

:heart:

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:

What result, my child? I asked the Species lovers (like yourself) the reasons why they like the song too... I got the "results" i wanted. 99% of the answers are explaining why Species lovers like the tune.

I knew from the start my opinion was a minority one. I'm not naive babe.

I think one should read the faq/rules of the forum before one starts calling people childern or indirectly refer to them as "naive babe".

STING2 said:

I think one should read the faq/rules of the forum before one starts calling people childern or indirectly refer to them as "naive babe".

Huh? The "I'm not naive babe" was self referential -- I thought we could each call ourselves anything we want. And the "my child" can be considered a term of endearment...much nicer that complaining that a poster does nothing but always bash, too.

Re: Re: Original of the Species bashing thread

ponkine said:

Why is it any more pointless than If You Wear That Velvet Dress? Discotheque? etc...

I love this song... my favorite song on the album. The synths/ strings really give it the Beatles' flavor in my eyes. Love the main guitar riff and the guitar parts in the verses. I've grown to appreciate the piano bits too. Didn't like it, at first, but now can't imagine the song without it. When I first heard it for the Apple IPOD thing... I thought it was a little boring.

Lyrics are fine too... Who doesn't love a good incest song... right?

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
U2_Guy seems to be able to get away with personal attacks..

...I wonder why? ;)

It's his specialty. Then, he gets pissed off when his true colors are called out and he "threatens" to never visit the forum again. Two days later, he's back doing the same personal attacks all over again.

Trust me, the word "child" coming from U2_Guy is not for endearment. It's to belittle the person he's addressing because he (U2_Guy) seems to know so much more than us little ones.

What else is new from U2_Guy? :shrug: Same shit, different thread.

ADecentMelody said:

It's his specialty. Then, he gets pissed off when his true colors are called out and he "threatens" to never visit the forum again. Two days later, he's back doing the same personal attacks all over again.

Trust me, the word "child" coming from U2_Guy is not for endearment. It's to belittle the person he's addressing because he (U2_Guy) seems to know so much more than us little ones.

Oh I'm aware of his tactics..I was just pointing out that its a little odd he doesn't get spoken to by the mods... hehe;) :D

Flying FuManchu said:
I would love to see this song released as a single...

Me too. We already have Vertigo which has been a big hit. I think Original, Sometimes, Miracle Drug can be really big chart songs, maybe ABOY as well..

I love this song; I can understand how many find it cheesy, but it is so sweet, and for me (usually, some horrible exceptions) a really good song is where I keep singing it and can't get it out of my head

This could have been a great song. The lyrics are the main thing that doesn't work for me. ("some things you shouldn't get too good at"...ARRRGH...IT JUST DOESN"T WORK!!!). The main line of the chorus ("everywhere you go...") is not strong enough lyrically to fit the power of the music. This song is too lopsided. Like with so many other songs on this album (I do like the album), I'm afraid Bono is the weakest link. The verses are boring too. There needs to be more going on there musically. However, if I am not paying too close attention, it sounds like a great song.

indra said:

Huh? The "I'm not naive babe" was self referential -- I thought we could each call ourselves anything we want. And the "my child" can be considered a term of endearment...much nicer that complaining that a poster does nothing but always bash, too.

Yes, Indra, the naive babe was about me... and calling ppl child... i do it in a nice way (in my head anyway), but i will quit the child term...

ppl get offended with the least of things...

Sleep Over Jack said:

Oh I'm aware of his tactics..I was just pointing out that its a little odd he doesn't get spoken to by the mods... hehe;) :D

:eyebrow:;)

Last edited:
ADecentMelody said:

Dear Adecentmelody:

What do you know about me? Ah, you read some of my posts and you think you know all about me?

This place needs ppl like me, rjhbonovox, ponkine to show to some of you (believe me, they need it) that the kings aren't always wearing clothes. We are as much of a fan as most of you (in my case, i've already said, i have a room in my house for U2 things, and i call it an "U2 Museum" and i have appeared even on local newspapers. You ppl say i hate the last 2 albums. I don't hate them, i just think they are very safe U2, but in comparison with the reality that surrounds us, they are good records, and i bought the collectors IMPORT edition with book and the local dvd/cd, as well as the 3 singles for Vertigo, all IMPORTS).

So shut up your mouth and quit disrespecting me. I'm the easy target for obtuse users, i understand that. And i like being that way. If i ever did personal attacks that's because you ppl started first (like yourself, coming to my thread and saying that i'm shit).

You gotta a choice: don't come in to my threads. Whenever you see i started some thread, run like you run from the devil.

But i know you won't... You probably love reading them, don't ya?:wink:

Sleep Over Jack said:
U2_Guy seems to be able to get away with personal attacks..

...I wonder why? ;)

Maybe because the mods (ppl who really know the posters) knows that when i get personal (very few times) it's in response to ppl who started offending me first.

Like i said, i'm the easy target here and ppl who never read my so called "personal attacks" actually believe i'm the devil, cause in every thread i participated we get the same users saying things about me that just aren't true. And those users who never read me start to spread the world that i'm the new anti-Christ without even reading any of my posts...

I don't care, you ppl shouldn't care either.

It's just a fan forum. Some will drool over anything U2 makes and some will be more reasonable than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom