Original HTDAAB would have rocked harder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arturod

The Fly
Don't want to start a flame war or anything, but I finally got to listen to some of the unrleased and rare songs like Xanax and Wine, Native Son, All because of You (alternate Version), and Yahweh (alternate). I really think the alternate versions sound better than the album versions and the other two tracks and Mercy could have easily made a great album. I like (like) HTDAAB but I believe that now after hearing the tracks were left out, that the album was TOO overproduced. Reminds me of Electrical Strom and the version that was released as compared to the raw versions that were initially leaked. Too many hands in the pot.

The album is defintely more mellow than many of us expected, I think this was due to some of the rumors about the album being ABII. Just some thoughts. Agreements? Disagreements?

I prefer all of the finished versions to the originals/alternates. And I don't see how they rocked harder, except for Xanax and Wine vs Fast Cars.

Disagree :wave:

First of all, the Orbit mix of Electrical Storm is far superior to that of the Radio 1 leaked version.

Now about the tracks mentioned. Isn't Xanax and Wine basically "Fast Cars" ?? If not, I might have to hear this track :hmm: If so, let's move on...

Concerning the other tracks mentioned, the only one I would agree with would be "Yahweh." But to be honest, I don't care for either version and was totally disappointed in the song regardless :p ALSO, the alternate version of SYCMIOYO is vastly inferior to that of it's Hut Dab counterpart.

And another thing, I personally do not get why so many people here are calling HTDAAB "mellow" or "too slow." Honestly, did *anybody* actually believe Bono when he said the album was going to be their first real "rock" record? C'mon, guys...don't be so naive :drunk: Bono likes to talk up a lot of things, and most of the time it's to get attention and/or boost interest. Me personally, I thought the album would be more in the vain of ATYCLB after what "Bono's Doppleganger" had to say about it. Much to my surprise, however, the album is closest to their 80's material, with a dash of 90's U2 and a fragment of ATYCLB's production (then again, I'm one of those guys that never really saw the connection between ATYCLB and 80's U2).

SOoOOoOooooOoOooOOOOOoo, that's it for now. Please don't take my post as an attack or anything. I just think HTDAAB is a *really* amazing album...one of the band's finest. I was expecting to be disappointed (something like AB/Zooropa - sure "Zooropa" is good and all, but let's face it, it ain't no Achtung Baby ;) ), but hot DAMN I love the album :macdevil: It's everything I wish I didn't know, but you, give me something, I can FEEL! :shifty: The album is amazing. I love it (and I'm not one of those U2 fans who worship everything they do and did...though oddly, I practically *do* love everything U2 have done....with the exception of "October" (though there are a few standout tracks)). "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is everything I hoped it would be, and then some. Amazing :up:

I like to ramble :drunk:

Catman said:

Isn't Xanax and Wine basically "Fast Cars" ?? If not, I might have to hear this track :hmm: If so, let's move on...

Get Xanax and Wine.

Fast Cars is one of my favourites on Bomb

But xanax and wine is fantastic...

It's rough around the edges, but it really rocks, and the chorus is great, I can't believe they got rid of it.

The finished version of All because of You is more polished, but I reckon the verse in the unreleased version is ten times better.. Again, I've no idea why they dumped it.

Vertigo is far superior to Native Son IMO. I don't believe for one second that Native Son could have been as successful as Vertigo, mainly because it's missing a catchy chorus.

I'm indifferent to Yahweh, I like both versions.

Xanax and Wine is great--much better than Fast Cars. The problem is that Xanax and Wine starts to really drag towards the end...the chorus and bridge are way way too long and the song loses steam after a while.

All Because of You. First let me say that I absolutely love the alternate version, especially the rocking first verse moving to the falsetto. However, that make a huge problem...there is no climax in the alternate version. The ending is no harder--actually it seems LESS intense--than the beginning. This is definitely NOT what you want to do with this sort of song. On the other hand, the album version fixed this problem. The first 2 verses are not quite so hard, which makes the scream and the "I'm alive!" part much much more powerful and effective.

Basically, I think U2 are pretty smart and made the right decisions in the long run.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

Basically, I think U2 are pretty smart and made the right decisions in the long run.

Pretty much agree with all you say there.

Saying that. Now I've heard the earlier versions, I wouldn't want to be without them as well.

Who ever said that U2 was supposed to rock hard? When I want to listen to hard rock, I put in my Zeppelin, Metallica and AC/DC cd's. When I want passionate, soulful and meaningful rock and roll, I listen to U2. U2 never has and never will be a hard rock band, and that's just fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom