Options for the future of U2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Options for the future of U2

Which option would you choose for the future...

U2 making only ONE FINAL MASTERPIECE (like TJT and AB) with one farewell tour

or...

U2 making THREE OK ALBUMS, with some classic songs and three tours?

This one isn't easy but I think I'd go for the final masterpiece.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 03:54 AM
If you consider HTDAAB as an "OK album" then I'd surely go for the second possibility (aww come on! 3 more tours! and I really love HTDAAB, it's not so great as AB or POP, but still it's a fantastic album)

PS: however if you consider ATYCLB instead as an OK album then no way! I'd vote for one final masterpiece.

PS2: there was a very similar topic to yours about few months ago...

Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:54 PM
I think they'll put out another album along the lines of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, then change their style yet again, with three more albums before they call it quits. I think the last three will be less of a specific sound and more along the lines of albums that only U2 can make. The lines of influences and experiental aspects will be more blurred than ever.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:54 PM
One final masterpiece. For me, HTDAAB wore off after less than a year, whereas I still love and enjoy UF and JT years after getting them. So a timeless masterpiece is the way to go - 3 OK albums won't be as satisfying 20 years down the track as 1 masterpiece would be.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Refugee

One final masterpiece.

I love HTDAAB, but if U2 could completely blow my mind one more time and go out at the very top of their game, I'd be all for it.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Being that I grew up with them I would take 3 ok albums with 3 tours, and a few classics.....I want them to around as long as they don't start to sound silly.

The next album would probably a cross between HTDAAB and Pop
I can't imagine what other way they would go.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know, if they have a 3rd masterpiece in them (assuming it isn't War) I would vote for option one.

Also, what would you consider an OK album?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Also, what would you consider an OK album?

Most people agree TJT and AB are THE masterpieces...
it's more subjective which albums can be labelled as OK.

Well for me TUF is more than OK, ATYCLB and October are below OK and the rest I label as OK.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 03:54 AM
U2 should try to record another outstanding album with fresh sounds and great lyrics. after that they should tour china, russia, the americas, the pacific area (nz-aus-jap), africa & europe, with their last concert ever in dublin. after that they should retire and my special friend boner should remain silent for at least one year!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 02:54 AM

It would be nice to see them turn the volume down a bit for a couple years (in terms of the scale of the tour/promotion etc. surrounding the next release)

I for one would love to see them do something that's like a Zooropa or Passengers (not in terms of groundbreaking & new music - allthough I adore those two albums) but rather something lower key... spend several weeks writing/recording/mixing - release an album at the end of '06 and then come back with something big a couple years later.

I guess what I'm saying is a solid "quiet" album and then a masterpiece
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think that, since the last tour dates were postponed, and we're 6 months far from it, U2 could release a 7-song EP or a 9-song LP with those HTDAAB outtakes, including "Fast Cars" (it deserves to be re-issued), "Mercy" and the James Bond they have already said.
Then, after the end of the tour they could start thinking on the next real album. People are saying that the next album will be an hip-hop album. I'm not sure, but I believe that they said that their next work could be influenced by hip-hop. And I wouldn't mind with that. I'd like to see too U2 making the kind of a real concept album... why not influenced by hip-hop?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Why do many talk about a final masterpiece? Why are you considering they must quit? Just because they're near 50?
There are so many bands around who are almost and over 60 and still make grandious music, Deep Purple, Toto, Rolling Stones, Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour and many many others...........music has no age. I see a long future for U2, they have still a lot to do. And for what concerns albums, I wouldn't mind if they would just tour for a while and make another record in 5 years for example. They have done so many tracks that there should be the chance to perform songs they never performed or to take back tracks they don't play since long time. I wouldn't mind if a new album would come out in 2012 and meanwhile they would do 2-3 worldtours, trying some innovations, playing songs in a rearrenged way etc etc. There are so much things that a band like U2 can do after 3 incredible successfull decades. They've reached a skill that improves itself alone
Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by babyman
There are so many bands around who are almost and over 60 and still make grandious music, Deep Purple, Toto, Rolling Stones, Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour and many many others...........
I totally disagree with you!! The bands you name don't make any grandious music anymore. They are only a shadow of what they've been once. I hope U2 is wise enough not to become a second Rolling Stones.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BANZAI

I totally disagree with you!! The bands you name don't make any grandious music anymore. They are only a shadow of what they've been once. I hope U2 is wise enough not to become a second Rolling Stones.
I don't know, why is everyone so hard on the Stones? From what I've seen they really seem to love performing and apparently put on really good shows... I guess they've released some sub-par work since their prime but apparently their last album was very well received by critics.

Anyhow... I'm sure there is someone on a Green Day fan site somewhere mentioning how they hope Green Day won't ever turn into a second U2.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FAN4LIFE

I don't know, why is everyone so hard on the Stones? From what I've seen they really seem to love performing and apparently put on really good shows... I guess they've released some sub-par work since their prime but apparently their last album was very well received by critics.

Anyhow... I'm sure there is someone on a Green Day fan site somewhere mentioning how they hope Green Day won't ever turn into a second U2.
If only Green Day would be so lucky. A once great punk band that sang about masturbating is now a mainstream powerpop band whining about our unfair government. HOW PUNK!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:54 PM
One final masterpiece/tour. I'd hate to see U2 go out just being OK and not great.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 08:24 AM
I don't think any band can sit down and say hey "lets make a masterpiece shall we". It doesnt work like that.

An artist should always go for what he is feeling, what he wants to do as a musician, just try be honest with yourself. Then after a few years only time will tell if its a masterpiece or not.

For U2, as always I want them to make an album they believe in. If they again want to go for bunch of very good songs then so be it. I think the last 2 albums may not have been very strong in terms of a classic record, but some of the songs are as good as any U2 song and they're more than a few. I'm talking about Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In A Little While, Vertigo, Sometimes, City of Blinding Lights, Love and Peace or Else, Original Of The Species. Add Ground Beneath Her Feet and The Hands that built america.... thats one hell of a songwritting.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jacknife23
I don't think any band can sit down and say hey "lets make a masterpiece shall we". It doesnt work like that.
what? Axl Rose tried it
Old 04-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #19
The Fly

I'd be sad that it was the last album but damn it would be awesome to have U2 to end on a masterpiece. But I don't mean to slam HTDAAB or any other previous album I just wouldn't put them on masterpiece level just great albums.

Sadly I don't think it can happen because everyone has their own idea on what they want U2 to be and no matter what people will be pissed.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I don't know what will happen with the next album but i'll bet the tours from now on will all be stadium shows ... it'll just be easier on them because they won't have to play as many shows