Optimism & Pessimism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
I posted this in another thread, but think it's deserving of its own....

Late 2006, after releasing a new album, only touring Australia and Japan. Then taking the first six months of 2007 off, beginning again, shaping a new sound and writing 35 songs in 9 months, finally recording those songs in 3 months, producing them for three months and having the album of 12 of 35 out by Thanksgiving 2008 with a new sound. Following that, they tour North America, Australia and Japan from March-July. Four singles from that album produce 6 new b-sides. Therefore 18 of the 35 songs written have been used. They take three months off to produce 11 more from the remaining 18 songs into an album and sit on it until January of 2009 when they release it and tour Europe and then North America again. During this time they release 4 more singles and use up 6 of the final seven songs as b-sides and the seventh as a single of its own for the movie X-Men 4. And THEN they take a year off and we have 3 and a half albums of material for the best of 2000-2010, plus one single on its own to be on it, and 18 b-sides to chose from (not counting remixes). Can I get Paul McGuiness's phone number? I'm sure everyone on here would be ecstatic if that came true. I'm also sure there would be a lot of bickering on here. People would say, "That sounds too 80s!" or "That sounds to 90s!" or "That sounds too 00's!" or "That's too rocking!" But maybe they should just retired now so you all won't be disappointed in their new music as you seem to be in all your arguments.

Larry is abducted by a UFO in Summer 2006.
U2 go into the studio to write an album dedicated to Larry called "RAP". Which while is a play on the album POP, actually stands for Resist the Anal Probe.

U2 spends a year in the studio fusing hip hop beats, African tribal drums and sampled Bono raps into an amalgamut of sounds, the album 'RAP' produced by Brian Eno drops in Fall 2007.

Christmas Day 2007 Larry is returned by the aliens, just in time for a spring tour and he has brought with him new technology for a stunning visual concert tour and new audio techniques for an album in 2009.

The 2009 album is called Man and is a 2 disc tour de force and U2 calls it a day October 2010 after the tour on the 30th anniversary of the release of Boy as the greatest rock band in the history of planet earth and also a planet in a distant galaxy called Mullen in honor of the ageless man whom they abducted only to be taught how to drum and drink a strange liquid called Guinness. And it was this that united the universe. Beer.

the tourist said:
I posted this in another thread, but think it's deserving of its own....

Late 2006, after releasing a new album, only touring Australia and Japan. Then taking the first six months of 2007 off, beginning again, shaping a new sound and writing 35 songs in 9 months, finally recording those songs in 3 months, producing them for three months and having the album of 12 of 35 out by Thanksgiving 2008 with a new sound. Following that, they tour North America, Australia and Japan from March-July. Four singles from that album produce 6 new b-sides. Therefore 18 of the 35 songs written have been used. They take three months off to produce 11 more from the remaining 18 songs into an album and sit on it until January of 2009 when they release it and tour Europe and then North America again. During this time they release 4 more singles and use up 6 of the final seven songs as b-sides and the seventh as a single of its own for the movie X-Men 4. And THEN they take a year off and we have 3 and a half albums of material for the best of 2000-2010, plus one single on its own to be on it, and 18 b-sides to chose from (not counting remixes). Can I get Paul McGuiness's phone number? I'm sure everyone on here would be ecstatic if that came true. I'm also sure there would be a lot of bickering on here. People would say, "That sounds too 80s!" or "That sounds to 90s!" or "That sounds too 00's!" or "That's too rocking!" But maybe they should just retired now so you all won't be disappointed in their new music as you seem to be in all your arguments.

Im sorry but there is no way U2 will go 2 albums, without a Ireland show, but that doesn't effect U2 because you are American so why should you get a tour when the home countr doesn't.

after the vertigo tours...
...ADAM has bought a tiny polynesian island and lives the Marlon Brando lifestyle...
...LARRY will consult Harley Davidson for a new sportster model which will be named Bulldozer LMJ
...THE EDGE will earn a doctorate in Natural Science (Emotional Soundscapes)
...BONO will receive the Nobel Price as a peacemaker. then he will give himself a new name. and after that he will form a new supergroup with Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and Kofi Anan..the name of the supergroup is boner & THE PEACEMAKERS

Re: Re: Optimism & Pessimism

Irishteen said:

Im sorry but there is no way U2 will go 2 albums, without a Ireland show, but that doesn't effect U2 because you are American so why should you get a tour when the home countr doesn't.

Except for the fact that it would be about the same time in between shows in Ireland between the current rate of tours. It would be like doing a double Achtung-Zooropa combo; U2 releases album and tours N/A, Japan, and Aus. -- U2 goes into studio for a short time and bursts out another album and tours Europe. Only doing that twice....

But why should North America,Austrailia and Japan get 2 tours, and Europe one, and If you want U2 to do quick tours, they would want to make the most money from it, they appear to play to bigger crowd here, they could sell a million seat in less then 20 shows here, but In North America trhat same amount of people, would take at least 50 shows, so it would be quicker to just tour Europe, unless they get stadiums in America.

Irishteen said:
But why should North America,Austrailia and Japan get 2 tours, and Europe one, and If you want U2 to do quick tours, they would want to make the most money from it, they appear to play to bigger crowd here, they could sell a million seat in less then 20 shows here, but In North America trhat same amount of people, would take at least 50 shows, so it would be quicker to just tour Europe, unless they get stadiums in America.

Only because for some strange reason they play smaller venues here. They sold out both nights in Seattle (roughly a 15-20k seating venue) in 23 mintes. 30-40 thousand seats. In 23 minutes.

So I'm pretty much saying that U2 should definitely play in Australia to support HTDAAB; but to release an album in between like Zooropa.

THEN, do another album and tour NA, Japan, and Australia. And tour Europe and N/A for that first album (in a succession of two again), but release an album in between legs of the tour. Basically I'm saying they should do two more Zooropas (in release sense and not musical sense).

I think they should do one like Zooropa but not two, I would rather they make soemthing like Zooropa, then take time to rediscover there sound, U2 always chanhge there sound after 3 albums, so you plan on them doing it in 2 months, doubt it maybe 2 years atleast.

Which is why I put in the time for them to write the new songs in my original post. :wink:

Well we can pray for them to record faster, lets pray there is no famine, or big trade injustice that keeps Bono busy. If all the world leaders were u2 fans, then all this stuff would be done quicker, so u2 can make a new album quicker. PS I hoep on there next album they are a track short so have to add Mercy

Oh, I agree. But I hope they re-record it. But not change the words. I think it would be a good opening song for an album (an opening song that's not a single....? ).

Ye it would bomb as a single, just isn't the right material for one, lets just hope U2, don't retire any time soon, they are at the top of there game, and yet to make a bad album, lets hope that they can still make a album as good as Zooropa in a short period of time. Your album doesn't have to be produced so much, don't kill songs by over-producing.

I'm hoping for a "Passengers - Original Soundtracks Vol 2". It's been toooooo long since Vol 1 came out so they need to seriously start thinking about a follow up. Come on guys get yer fingers out!:wink:

Irishteen said:

I read something recently (sorry, I don't remember where I read that article) where their manager mentioned the average $ amount in merch sales per concert goer for this tour. In the US is was $5-6 more per person than it was in the first several European shows on this tour. The percentage of profit in merch sales is extraordinary and may explain one reason why bands like to tour the US so much. People in the US like stuff. :shrug:

Irishteen said:

Australia should get two tours simply to make up for the total neglect in the past. :mad:

And New Zealand should get an entire tour to itself.

they should record their next album in NEW ZEALAND. this would give them more inspiration and a more rocking character for the album...after the release they should tour NEW ZEALAND clubs, before playing arenas.
Go the ALL BLACKS!

Back
Top Bottom