Opening Acts for the next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, me too would prefer an extra hour of U2, but Garbage is a very good band as a warm up. I saw them last year and they really rocked!

Re: Re: Opening Acts for the next tour

typhoon said:

Wait, you mean to tell me that Smash Mouth is or was at some point "good"? So how long have you been a crack addict?

:lmao:

Sorry, instead of good, maybe I should have said 'before they were semi-popular'. When we saw them on the Pop tour, the only song anyone had ever heard was "Walkin On The Sun". At least now I'd know a few of their songs. I think that's the biggest problem with these smaller acts - many times the majority of the crowd hasn't heard much of their music, and at least for me, concerts are much more fun when I've heard the songs a few times or can sing along. I know u2 (and other big acts) have tried to help these bands get their name out there, *make* people listen to their music for a bit and hopefully get turned on to it, but 99% of the time it's just a painful hour to kill before the headliner hits the stage :shrug:

I've been a blue crack addict for a little over a year now :sexywink:

Hey, I like RickFly's choice of Nelly Furtado. Don't know when she's coming out with another album (it's been awhile, hasn't it?)
K, just checked. New material on 11/25. YEP.

Of course, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club would be great. I heard their new single last night ("Stop"). Goodstuff :thumbsup:

Hmm, who else? Umm, I really like the Juliana Theory, but they're kind of on tour at the moment (can't believe I missed 'em for the second time!). Then again, like someone here has already said, practically any up-and-coming musical act would jump at the chance to open for U2.

HMM...I also like John Mayer, but I kind of get the feeling that his musical style wouldn't "mesh" well with the whole vibe that U2 brings to the stage.

Kk, that's it for now. So long :wave:

HARRR!!

Last edited:
I think opening acts are important. My fave is still Public Enemy during Zoo TV, and PJ Harvey during Elevation.

BRMC was a great suggestion.

Spiritualize
Starsailor
Doves
Fire Theft... I think would all be great choices.

I think Coldplay is little "too big" to be opening for them now, maybe for a small portion, but not the whole tour.

Pixies are talking about a reunion maybe get them on a few spots.

Or THE DALTON BROTHERS!!!

Honourable mention to to PJ Harvey, The Flaming Lips, Puressence, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Roots, Oasis.

unless it's a name that's familiar with the "masses," an opening act is baisicly useless. the people are there for u2, so even a good up and comming act will get a small uninterested crowd... everyone else will be in the hallways getting more beers.

pearl jam would be my dream opener, but i really doubt they'd come on as an opener for u2 again. i'm just hoping for someone good... someone recognizable to really pump up the crowd before u2 comes out.

I love Garbage, No Doubt and PJ Harvey! I would love to see them open for U2 again. But i dont think any of them would do it again. I didnt even know of PJ harvey before i saw her open for U2..so i am open to what they have..i may discover a cool new band/singer :)

I think Coldplay would be an excelente opening show. They are the next generation, and maybe they are the next ones to make my heart pump like U2 does now. Kinda passing the torch or something like that (I'm not saying in any form that U2 is dying, in fact, they are more alive than ever)

But probably the best opener of all time has been and it will be for life are..
THE DALTON BROTHERS
A reunion tour would be nice alongside U2 (because they are not the same...)

Those of you who said an extra hour of U2, do you seriously believe they'd do that? :lol:

Too early to tell who'll open, personally I wouldn't mind BRMC, but If U2 tour next year I doubt they'll be touring at the same time.

opening acts

US / Canada

Interpol
Eels
The White Stripes
Pete Yorn

Europe / Rest Of The World

Doves
The Music
The Hives
The Vines

anyone of these would be great...I find Travis to be a little too slow, personally

The boyfriend and I were talking about this last week and here were some of the ideas we had:

BRMC
Idlewild
Starsailor
White Stripes
Interpol
The Hives

We also thought about Coldplay and thinks its a great idea. They would be a band along the same lines as No Doubt or Garbarge. Recognizable name but not a name that would sell out arena after arena. I saw them at MSG but my sister saw them at a smaller venue in Chicago and I know they were only playing medium venues on their last tour for the most part.

I will say this -- U2 can be hit or miss on opening bands. Garbage and PJ ruled, but Fun Lovin' Criminals sucked.

I saw Nelly Furtado open for U2 in Charlotte. No offense, she's a great little performer, but her style just doesn't work with U2 IMO. Honestly I would prefer NO OPENING ACT! I need to save my energy for U2 especially if it's GA and I have to stand there all that time.

What I would do is that the opening act of U2 is... U2!!!
But not them selfs.
ON THE PA SYSTEM!!!!

All the songs they wont play on the show. Things like Acrobat, Gloria, Twilight, Zooropa, Hawkmoon 269, One Tree Hill, Promenade, Wire, Lady With The Spinning Head, Luminous Times (Hold On To Love) (one of my top 20 U2 songs), etc, etc, etc.

Everybody would enjoy it. The Hardcore fan could sing along waiting for their/our heroes, and the casual fan could learn something.

PD: Only if there are NOT any good opening acts, like Coldplay ;)

Seabird said:
I saw Nelly Furtado open for U2 in Charlotte. No offense, she's a great little performer, but her style just doesn't work with U2 IMO. Honestly I would prefer NO OPENING ACT! I need to save my energy for U2 especially if it's GA and I have to stand there all that time.

I agree :yes:

I think opening acts add a little bit of a theatrical quality, even mystique to the headliner... it's like entering a building. You want to be slowly introduced by the lobby, instead of overwhelmed by the large banquet hall.

Besides, 3 hours won't happen.

I think Coldplay would kick A$$ as the opening band! I saw them a few months ago in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) and they are phenomenol live!

allybailer said:
I think Coldplay would kick A$$ as the opening band! I saw them a few months ago in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) and they are phenomenol live!

They are the only band that are worthy as an opening act for U2. Maybe BRMC also but besides that most bands out there suck:madspit:

Put me down for The Flaming Lips. Great, great live band.

In Canada, I really wouldn't mind Sam Roberts opening. He puts on a killer live show.

In Canada, something that would make it a great show, The Tragically Hip. Would that not be great!!!

Gord could do his thing in a condensed hour, which would let him go crazy. The only thing i do like about really good opening acts the concert gets sold out quicker.

Back
Top Bottom