Open Letter To U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when they experiment, they drop the ball. Miss Sarajevo as the single off Passengers? Please. It was so obvious. Big name guest star, "inspirational" subject, verses and chorus.

All the while "Viva Davidoff" is waiting to "fuck" with mainstream listeners, and they couldn't even put it on the record. Top 40 kowow there.

namkcuR said:
U2Man, I appreciate your comments. I said the Beatles burned out because at the end, they still wanted to evolve and move forward, but that's about all they could agree on. Lennon and McCartney pretty much hated each other at that point. So they stopped being a band. Maybe that's not burning out, I don't know, but it's certainly not fading away.

I think I understood you correctly then. :up: I guess you could say that as individual musicians none of them had burnt out in any way but the collaboration called "The Beatles" couldn't continue because of their disagreements. Their memory and the music they created haven't burnt out, though, and I think that was what God Part III objected to.

U2girl said:

Interestingly you singled out only me and KUEFCO9U2 comments yet as I can see we're not the only ones posting in a non-positive manner.

Bringing moods down? Now you know how people feel when they read the umpteenth "U2 are heading down Stonesville/selling out/suck post 2000" post and thread - ALWAYS by the same people. That's what is causing the sarcastic comments.

I don't see the point of seriously talking with people like that about U2's music (I always liked being told from namkcur I'm silly for thinking Bomb is their third best album, or that I get his pity for not thinking Pop is the best ever U2 album)- no matter what anyone would say they won't change their mind.

I singled you and KUEFC09U2 out since the two of you reacted specifically to my post which was stated in general. So I guess the two of you singled yourselves out.

If you don't see the point in talking seriously to namkcuR why do you bother going in here posting sarcastic comments which you know will cause the antagonism we are seeing right now? I belive namkcuR when he says he wanted an intelligent discussion about this, otherwise I don't think he would bother to write such a long, well-written response.

U2man serious question, why is it you never jump to the defense of someone who is backing the band? you go to great lengths to tell us your not negative etc, but i cannot remember a post that shows you defending the band in anyway whatsoever, what i do see is countless posts from you agreeing with people who are critising the band

U2Man said:

I singled you and KUEFC09U2 out since the two of you reacted specifically to my post which was stated in general. So I guess the two of you singled yourselves out.

If you don't see the point in talking seriously to namkcuR why do you bother going in here posting sarcastic comments which you know will cause the antagonism we are seeing right now? I belive namkcuR when he says he wanted an intelligent discussion about this, otherwise I don't think he would bother to write such a long, well-written response.

I'm glad you admit that was aimed at us and don't tell me you didn't know we would react.

I already posted what is causing the sarcastic comments, as did KUEFCO9U2.

I wish you'd be so defending of other people any time someone gets picked on for either liking the last two albums and not thinking Pop is the greatest album ever made.

also namkcuR i remember you slagging people of for saying bomb is their 3rd best album, i also notice you slagging people of when they claim pop isnt their favorite, everything is double sided here, you cant just take your comments, and expect everyone to agree, and when they dont agree you cry wolf saying things like "you obviously didnt read my post" or "i went to great lenghts bla bla", your post to me sounded like you were slagging ATYCLB/HTDAAB, because to me saying these 2 albums have brought them closer, is infact slagging them of

KUEFC09U2 said:
U2man serious question, why is it you never jump to the defense of someone who is backing the band? you go to great lengths to tell us your not negative etc, but i cannot remember a post that shows you defending the band in anyway whatsoever, what i do see is countless posts from you agreeing with people who are critising the band

I support whatever I think is reasonable, and I defend everyone who I think is behaving reasonably, but is being treated unreasonably. namkcuR is being treated unreasonably at the moment by some of you.

U2girl said:

I'm glad you admit that was aimed at us and don't tell me you didn't know we would react.

I already posted what is causing the sarcastic comments, as did KUEFCO9U2.

I wish you'd be so defending of other people any time someone gets picked on for either liking the last two albums and not thinking Pop is the greatest album ever made.

That's all you see in my post, isn't it? Me saying that Pop is the greatest record blah blah and I wish U2 would make another one blah blah....that's all you see, isn't it? I'm not asking this in an antagonistic kind of way...I'm just calmly asking you. Because I'm sorry if that's all you see. I'm sorry if you can't get it out of your mind that all I'm aiming for is to say post-2000 U2 sucks or that they sold out. Because my aim is very far away from that.

Noticed namkcuR's response at MrBrau1's first post? I feel that was much worse than anyone else in this thread.

U2girl said:

I'm glad you admit that was aimed at us

I didn't admit that. I said it was stated in general. The two of you *chose* to believe it was aimed at you.

KUEFC09U2 said:
also namkcuR i remember you slagging people of for saying bomb is their 3rd best album, i also notice you slagging people of when they claim pop isnt their favorite, everything is double sided here, you cant just take your comments, and expect everyone to agree, and when they dont agree you cry wolf saying things like "you obviously didnt read my post" or "i went to great lenghts bla bla", your post to me sounded like you were slagging ATYCLB/HTDAAB, because to me saying these 2 albums have brought them closer, is infact slagging them of

I said I liked the records. I said they were good, even very good. I never said they were bad. The only thing I wanted to say with regards to selling out is that if U2 continues to make records in this vein, that it could and would lead to that place, that area of selling out. But I like Bomb a lot. I don't think it's their 3rd best record, it's probably 6 or 7 on my list. But I still like it. If you want proof, read this thread in WTAHAN, that I started:

http://forum.interference.com/t137074.html

U2girl said:
Noticed namkcuR's response at MrBrau1's first post? I feel that was much worse than anyone else in this thread.

But that reaction was to someone whose only aim was to piss me off and stir shit up. The other reactions were to what I think is an intelligent and respectful post. There is a difference, imo.

Nothing really, you reacted to our posts. You singled us out, as you knew we would respond.

U2girl said:
Nothing really, you reacted to our posts. You singled us out, as you knew we would respond.

Again - I didn't single you out before you had already singled yourselves out. I obviously struck a nerve somewhere.

U2girl, I asked you a question...towards the bottom of page 3. I genuinely would like to know the answer.

sorry namkcuR but if U2 decided to make another 3 albums in the vein of acthung zooropa and pop, you would be the one defending them now, so whats the difference? you like them, but dont like them enough for U2 to make a few more, but if they made another pop, or another achtung you would be happy? hmm

also U2man, you defend everyone who critises the band, its that simple, you NEVER jump to the defense of someone who sticks up for the band, its the same in the tour section, when someone defends them you defend the people that critisised, and then cry wolf when someone asks you why your always so negative

i have seen many posts by namkcuR that are totally out of order, and if i am correct some of them posts were directed at the people who belived HTDAAB to be their 3rd best album or whatever, and the ones that didnt think pop was all that great

U2Man said:

Again - I didn't single you out before you had already singled yourselves out. I obviously struck a nerve somewhere.

Yeah, ok.

Namkcur: you already answered it in the same post. Why should I bother?

KUEFC09U2 said:
sorry namkcuR but if U2 decided to make another 3 albums in the vein of acthung zooropa and pop, you would be the one defending them now, so whats the difference? you like them, but dont like them enough for U2 to make a few more, but if they made another pop, or another achtung you would be happy? hmm

also U2man, you defend everyone who critises the band, its that simple, you NEVER jump to the defense of someone who sticks up for the band, its the same in the tour section, when someone defends them you defend the people that critisised, and then cry wolf when someone asks you why your always so negative

i have seen many posts by namkcuR that are totally out of order, and if i am correct some of them posts were directed at the people who belived HTDAAB to be their 3rd best album or whatever, and the ones that didnt think pop was all that great

NO. I want them to continue to grow and create new things. That's what I said in the post and I stick by it.

And did you even follow the link I posted for you? To the thread where I only said that HTDAAB was a really good record and that I enjoyed it a lot?

namkcuR said:

NO. I want them to continue to grow and create new things. That's what I said in the post and I stick by it.

And did you even follow the link I posted for you? To the thread where I only said that HTDAAB was a really good record and that I enjoyed it a lot?
but your still not answering my main gripe at you, you have been very offensive towards people who didnt think pop was up their with the best, and you also have a go at people who think bomb is one of their best

and then start going off when some people decide to go against what you say

KUEFC09U2 said:
but your still not answering my main gripe at you, you have been very offensive towards people who didnt think pop was up their with the best, and you also have a go at people who think bomb is one of their best

and then start going off when some people decide to go against what you say

Where? Where was I offensive? Link me to a thread. I know I have been agressive and/or passionate about Pop in the past, but I have never insulted anyone or belittled them for not liking Pop. I have voiced frustration at people not liking what I think is so beautiful and great and whatever, but I have never said 'you are a fool' or 'you are an idiot' for not liking Pop. I honestly have no recollection of ever saying that kind of thing.

As for HTDAAB, yes, I've said I think it's ridiculous to say it's the third best record, but again, I never personally attacked anyone for it. I'm sure there are people that think it's ridiculous that I think Pop is the 2nd best U2 record, but I don't mind. I don't care if people disagree with me. I only care when they do it with sarcastic one-liners that make no attempt at constructively disagreeing with me.

I am so tired of this childish name-calling. All I wanted was some intelligent discussion and certain people won't let that happen.

Serious question KUEF: True or False - In my post I specifically stated that ATYCLB and HTDAAB were good records and I specifically stated that I didn't that U2 had sold out yet?

namkcuR said:

Where? Where was I offensive? Link me to a thread. I know I have been agressive and/or passionate about Pop in the past, but I have never insulted anyone or belittled them for not liking Pop. I have voiced frustration at people not liking what I think is so beautiful and great and whatever, but I have never said 'you are a fool' or 'you are an idiot' for not liking Pop. I honestly have no recollection of ever saying that kind of thing.

As for HTDAAB, yes, I've said I think it's ridiculous to say it's the third best record, but again, I never personally attacked anyone for it. I'm sure there are people that think it's ridiculous that I think Pop is the 2nd best U2 record, but I don't mind. I don't care if people disagree with me. I only care when they do it with sarcastic one-liners that make no attempt at constructively disagreeing with me.

I am so tired of this childish name-calling. All I wanted was some intelligent discussion and certain people won't let that happen.

Serious question KUEF: True or False - In my post I specifically stated that ATYCLB and HTDAAB were good records and I specifically stated that I didn't that U2 had sold out yet?
no you stated that if they carried on making albums in the same vein then that would be selling out, but then i said if they made another couple of albums like pop, then you would think everything is fine and dandy and they would be far from selling out,

also am pretty sure U2girl could direct you to a post were you was offensive to her

KUEFC09U2 said:
no you stated that if they carried on making albums in the same vein then that would be selling out, but then i said if they made another couple of albums like pop, then you would think everything is fine and dandy and they would be far from selling out,

also am pretty sure U2girl could direct you to a post were you was offensive to her

In the heat of a moment/arguement maybe. But I would never insult someone just because they disagreed with me unless they insulted me in a way that I felt justifed it first. But that's not who I am, to insult people just because they don't disagree with me.

Lol at this thread---the petty bickering reminds me why I don't post very often anymore. There was nothing offensive in the original post and it's just hillarious to see how worked up people can get. It's only the internet folks. Ever hear of the saying "don't sweat the small stuff?"

Interesting opinion by namcuR and I agree with a lot of what he says. I don't really feel the post 2000 U2 is very challenging...BUT that doesn't mean I don't like post 2000 U2. I've actually been into ATYCLB and HTDAAB much more than 90's U2 recently(which is generally my fav)

Yeah...let everybody have their say.. good and bad. The bickering in this thread is very childish....mostly by the so called 'defenders' of the band. Whether you agree with his post or not, it makes for interesting reading and he is stating his opinion.

I also agree that post-2000 U2 isn't very challenging and innovative, but I also think they are good simple records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom