One Year Later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

major_panic

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So it's been a year to the day since U2 last played here Down Under - so post your memories of last year's Vertigo Tour!

I attended the concert on the 19th in Melbourne, and hugely enjoyed it - from COBL right down to the spectacular Kite, then the HUGE and unexpected Bad. Highlights included Edge's guitar not working properly just before Angel of Harlem, Bad, UTEOTW and Mysterious Ways.

And, of course, the infamous "Thank you Sydney!"

Ah geez, it's been that long already?

Adelaide show is still the only time I've seen them live, so regardless of how it may have matched up to their other shows, I really loved it - best show I've ever seen. I went nuts when Zoo Station began.

It was also important because I'd completely ignored U2 since the postponement of the tour. I was really beginning to not care about them at all and was almost fretting to see them live. But on the drive up to AAMI Stadium, it all came back to me. It was great. :up:

I was only a couple of rows back from Edge at that second Melbourne gig. It had been an incredible concert, what with The First Time's sudden reappearance, the humorous moment around Angel Of Harlem, and a scorching version of The Fly. And then that version of Bad that just came from abso-fucking-lutely nowhere. After Kite, I couldn't believe my eyes when Edge received his black Strat. That performance perfectly summed up what U2 are all about.

Hard to believe it's been a year. Back then, I was a visitor to this city. I think the U2 gig was only my sixth day in Melbourne in my life. Now I'm just about to hop on a tram and have lunch in the city. This is a wonderful place, and it deservedly got the best show of the Aussie leg.

Last edited:
:hi5:

I think we can all agree that without a doubt, Melbourne rocks.

What exactly happened between Kite and Bad, anyway? All I saw was the band moving around a bit, looking like they were about to head off, then suddenly Edge changes guitars and starts playing...

I remember the early hours after the Brisbane show in PLEBA. The first photos rolled in, and we were all like "WTF is on Edge's hat?!"

And then we found out it was a preying mantis :lmao:

Good times.

wasn't that the day (or close to it) that U2.com got hacked? and anyone remember the wierd find the lyrics contest?

major_panic said:
:hi5:

I think we can all agree that without a doubt, Melbourne rocks.

What exactly happened between Kite and Bad, anyway? All I saw was the band moving around a bit, looking like they were about to head off, then suddenly Edge changes guitars and starts playing...

The band, I believe, had tentatively pencilled Bad into the set after Kite (the usual closer) as something special to mark their final night if the crowd had really gone off. Evidently they felt we were sufficiently enthusiastic. :wink:

I can certainly say that bono_man2002, one of his friends, and I went absolutely ballistic when we heard the opening notes of Bad!

Count me in to that, Axver!!!

I've been sitting here at work pondering Melb II today (and last Friday too, since that was a year since Adelaide). Hard to believe it really has been a year. And hard to believe that I then went to watch the Australian U2 Show straight after the concert!!! The things you do when you're in need of alcohol!!!!! :lol:

Lol, I went absolutely ballistic when I heard the opening notes of Bad as well. :D Aaaah, the memories. :D Such a perfect ending to the most fantastic weekend....

"And then that version of Bad that just came from abso-fucking-lutely nowhere. After Kite, I couldn't believe my eyes when Edge received his black Strat. That performance perfectly summed up what U2 are all about" - Axver.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :) I just couldn't believe it. Listened to the bootleg today in my car... so many great moments.

Glad you are liking Melbourne, Axver. :)

the whole thing blew my mind, walking up/ being half carried up the steps to the telstra dome on the first night was so overwhelming i was nearly in tears, those first notes of COBL i screamed so hard i thought my chest would explode... it was all an amazing blurr, and then going back to the hotel that night and thinking- wow i get to do it all again tomorrow .

i nearly peed my pants when they played bad, that was fucking awesome.

next tour i am going to do in every city.

The Sad Punk said:
It was also important because I'd completely ignored U2 since the postponement of the tour. I was really beginning to not care about them at all and was almost fretting to see them live. But on the drive up to AAMI Stadium, it all came back to me. It was great. :up:
It sounds like I was in a very similar headspace to you, leading up to the Melbourne shows.

Melb I was my very first U2 concert and it blew me totally away. And before I'd even begun to come down from that, Melb II happened, and knocked me clear into orbit. I've had a pretty boring life, but those two nights are stand-out highlights.

Bono's voice was in amazing shape, and the little hiccups just made the whole thing that much more special. :up:
And I got to stand at the rail at Edge's b-stage for Melb II, scant feet away as he tore through UTEOTW and Mysterious Ways... :combust:
And Bono as he sang SYCMIOYO... :heart:

And of course, Bad was incredible. If you could have harnessed the energy in the air, you could have powered the whole city for a year. :wink:

Amazing, amazing nights. I've been thinking about them all day too, and listening to the boots. Great memories! :yes:

mysterious_jen said:
next tour i am going to do in every city.
Same here... Need someone to share hotel rooms? :D

AchtungGirl219 said:
Glad you are liking Melbourne, Axver. :)

This is such an awesome city. I don't miss the Gold Coast or Brisbane a bit. Though today's heat reminded me of Queensland a bit too much for my liking. :mad:

mate it was a killer here today! Expecting total fire bans tomorrow...

and yes I was at both Melb gigs, mere feet from B stage both nights. Amazing!!! I listened to Blackout's bootleg the other night in memory

asunder said:
mate it was a killer here today! Expecting total fire bans tomorrow...

What I can't believe is that despite the sweltering weather today and more of the same that's forecast for tomorrow, Wednesday is currently predicted to be 19!

Certainly that was the only really bad thing about last year's Melbourne gigs: sitting outside Telstra Dome in the heat! Brisbane was much worse though.

One of the best long weekends of my life! :happy: One Adelaide show and two in Melbourne. I'll never forget the moment Bono walked down the mini stage for the first time in Adelaide and was so close I could see his eyes. And I got chills when he sang that loooong note in Miss Sarajevo, there were gasps all around me. I also remember someone throwing a XMas-themed pillow on stage at some point and Bono tucked it under his head and pretended to go to sleep, hehe.

Like everyone else I just couldn't believe it when they launched into Bad at the end of the Melb II show. And Edge's "Thank you Sydney" was pure comedy gold, :wink:

Axver said:

What I can't believe is that despite the sweltering weather today and more of the same that's forecast for tomorrow, Wednesday is currently predicted to be 19!

Certainly that was the only really bad thing about last year's Melbourne gigs: sitting outside Telstra Dome in the heat! Brisbane was much worse though.

Yeah, rocking up at Telstra Dome just before noon and waiting for however long it was to be admitted kinda sucked that day, although I do think it was hotter yesterday and today than it was then.

And dude, Wednesday is predicted to be 19? Sweet - although knowing this place, the temperature can vary by about 15 degrees in a day...

major_panic said:
Yeah, rocking up at Telstra Dome just before noon and waiting for however long it was to be admitted kinda sucked that day, although I do think it was hotter yesterday and today than it was then.

And dude, Wednesday is predicted to be 19? Sweet - although knowing this place, the temperature can vary by about 15 degrees in a day...

Yeah, the Bureau of Meteorology says tomorrow's low will be 15 and high will be 19. Have a look here. Of course, that could all age: the most recent forecast as I post this was issued at 10:40am today.

It's certainly been hotter the last couple of days than it was for U2, but at least I'm currently able to hide in front of my fan indoors! For U2, I just sheltered under an umbrella - that took the worst off the sun, but I was still less comfortable than I am now. Brisbane was horrible. I didn't bring any shelter and had a black t-shirt on. I nearly literally collapsed. The worst part? A couple of the staff were so rude that they even argued with the medical staff about whether I could leave the line to receive medical attention and then re-enter the line where I had previously been. One of the medicos just took the initiative, ignored the rude staff members, and found someone who would be more co-operative.

Its only taken a year for my Vertigo T Shirt to become thread-bare.. my favourite shirt too!! I shoulda bought two!

My t-shirts are still going strong... :D

Still haven't laminated the envelope I got autographs on though. :lol:

Welcome to Melbourne, Axver! Four Seasons in one day, and then some. :wink:

Ah memories!

I went to the second Melbourne gig. Did have tickets to the first one but then I swapped and I'm so glad I did. The whole concert was incredibly, better then anything I'd expected.

Highlights were first time, bad and streets, Edge's Sydney gaffe, Kanye's awful reception :drool:

It makes me sad thinking about it cause I wonder if I will ever get to see them live again. Will they tour down here again

Back
Top Bottom