One word: Attitude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How I miss those days.

Bono would never call another country's leader a wanker these days. :sad:

It is gratifying to see U2 get awards for Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me and Discotheque(I know the latter was a general live award, but still).

Great how he honours tbirthday of Dutch painter Herman Brood in the second video. Too bad we never saw that artwork he was going to make for the HTDAAB-album...

i think speeches like these are one of the main reasons why people rip on the 00's U2 and completely loved the 90's :drool:

Wow, judging by the looks of the stage at the '97 MTV Euro Awards they appeared to have been broadcast from Bjork's home planet.

In his current position (and considering his age), that would be a little stupid.

And I think Bono was quite drunk that night.

Haha, well I don't know if he was drunk. He really prepared that song before the show. I think it was great that he sang "le port d' Amsterdam" from Jacques Brel and that he changed Amsterdam for Rotterdam (the VMA in 1997 were in Rotterdam) and at the last part in stead of sailor, painter of Amsterdam...referring to Herman Brood who became 51 that year.

you don't imporvise this when you are drunk.

But anyway, it was hilarious!
I remember also a very very funny speech from Edge around that time. It was really cool too. Can anybody find this?

How I miss those days.

Bono would never call another country's leader a wanker these days. :sad:

I don't miss those days...

I loved it back then, but now I look at it, and it's almost cringe worthy especially the second clip; the strutting, posing, etc... it's funny there's a demographic in here that talks ad nauseum about how Bono tries too hard these days but that's exactly what I see in that second clip.

And what is so cool about calling a country's leader a wanker? Sure it got some applause, but by the end of the night that's all it did. Now the man can actually make change and people are missing the days when he just made unproductive name calling? I don't get it.

Oh, and that definately wasn't water, I don't even think it was clear, it looked like Guiness to me...

It was actually Jack and Coke.... his tipple of choice :)

I love his look in that second clip.... it was our preview to current Bono, with the short hair etc, although he obviously was much fresher faced in those days and had a lot more attitude, that's for sure!

And what is so cool about calling a country's leader a wanker? Sure it got some applause, but by the end of the night that's all it did. Now the man can actually make change and people are missing the days when he just made unproductive name calling? I don't get it.

Maybe some people just like to relate to their rockstars as being one of the people rather than a politician?

Maybe some people just like to relate to their rockstars as being one of the people rather than a politician?

bono-popmart-tour.jpg

:lol: yeah he's just one of the people...

Haha, well I don't know if he was drunk. He really prepared that song before the show. I think it was great that he sang "le port d' Amsterdam" from Jacques Brel and that he changed Amsterdam for Rotterdam (the VMA in 1997 were in Rotterdam) and at the last part in stead of sailor, painter of Amsterdam...referring to Herman Brood who became 51 that year.

you don't imporvise this when you are drunk.

It is possible to improvise very well when drunk. Trust me.

I've never seen these videos before, they were cool. Bono is a cool dude.

And I think that was beer he had in the second clip.

the 90s touring phase may be the best that u2 or anybody will ever do.

that said, i think it would just come off as silly if Bono tried to do that stuff as he approaches 50 years old and his hair gets grayer.

Politicians don't always get things done either! They talk the talk too.

That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about how Bono is one of the few rock stars that is getting anything done, there have been hundreds of political rock stars, can anyone name one that got as much done as Bono?

That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about how Bono is one of the few rock stars that is getting anything done, there have been hundreds of political rock stars, can anyone name one that got as much done as Bono?

The most frustrating thing is that because he genuinely wants to get things done, he has to kiss ass a lot, and that means he can't put songs as politically pointed as he used to on record anymore, he can't go into a 'Fuck The Revolution' type speech that takes sides, he can't go into a Zoo-TV-circa-the-war-in-Bosnia 'Have our politicians learned nothing in sixty years' spiel, he can't do any of that stuff, so I feel like he is sacrificing a certain element of his art for the sake of getting things done in the real world.

The most frustrating thing is that because he genuinely wants to get things done, he has to kiss ass a lot, and that means he can't put songs as politically pointed as he used to on record anymore,

Which politically pointed song did he put on record before?

The most frustrating thing is that because he genuinely wants to get things done, he has to kiss ass a lot, and that means he can't put songs as politically pointed as he used to on record anymore, he can't go into a 'Fuck The Revolution' type speech that takes sides, he can't go into a Zoo-TV-circa-the-war-in-Bosnia 'Have our politicians learned nothing in sixty years' spiel, he can't do any of that stuff, so I feel like he is sacrificing a certain element of his art for the sake of getting things done in the real world.

Yeah, he doesn't push buttons anymore cos that's gonna make it harder for him to lobby politicians I guess. It's understandable but sad.

Great how he honours tbirthday of Dutch painter Herman Brood in the second video. Too bad we never saw that artwork he was going to make for the HTDAAB-album...

Really ?? How's that??

Brood took his final jump in 2001 and HTDAAB came more than 3 years later...

I never heard anything like that. (can i say I'm glad Brood never made the artwork :reject: ?)

Back
Top Bottom