"ONE" with mary j blige , whats goin on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

One of the few times I disagree with you...

I like both, but neither are better...

The only better version than the studio version is the "Passengers" version.

I like all the versions as each has it's own "flavor". And, of course, this is what makes the song so great. It's like John Lennon's "Imagine" - that was Lennon at his song-writing best. "One" is Bono at his best. And when songs are that lyrically powerful, they can take on all sorts of meanings and interpretations.

However, I disagree with your view of the Passenger's version. The orchestra is astounding, but Bono's vocals were really poor. "One" is a scratchy song, but Bono just couldn't even do it that day. 1995-1998 was Bono at his vocal nadir, and this song was one such example. Still, the orchestra was good. :up:

I love that duet and how Mary personalized the song. I don't like really much the end because it's too "shouted" but I love the little differences in tones and melody

doctorwho said:

However, I disagree with your view of the Passenger's version. The orchestra is astounding, but Bono's vocals were really poor. "One" is a scratchy song, but Bono just couldn't even do it that day. 1995-1998 was Bono at his vocal nadir, and this song was one such example. Still, the orchestra was good. :up:

:yes:

I think of all the covers and live versions (U2 included) Johnny Cash came the closest to matching the original.

Modena version is marred by vocals, I liked the Automatic Baby acoustic version but Michael Stipe didn't do the song justice, MJ Blige collaboration is nice but not better and let's just say nothing about Joe Cocker's version.

why does it have to be "better"than the original?
why can't it just be different

does it have to be a competition and if you don't think its as good it shouldn't be released?

thats just stupid in my opinion.
imagine never doing anything different because you were afraid it wouldn't be as good as something you did the week before.

MJB has put a totally fresh spin on the song and while ultimately the same song, to me its a completely different experience to listening to the original.
i can't even begin to think of the two in the same way - they're very individual songs to me and even *if* i ultimately preferred the original, i dont think that takes away from MJB's version at all (which i think is great btw)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom