One Tree Hill is the best song ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adrball said:
where did this thread go horribly wrong?

Well, I don't want to point fingers at the guy because I like him, but I think a certain Mr McKinney needs to acknowledge that this is all his fault!

Exhibit A, the post that sent this thread spiralling into peculiar directions:

bgmckinney said:
If I have time later I should start a thread for people who think something *unusual* is U2's best song - I mean, something besides One, WOWY, BD, SBS... I'd like to see what other songs do take that prize in people's minds.

LemonMelon said:

Naw, I get it. I just think wank is a great word. :drool:

For instance, since we're on the subject of HTDAAB songs:

"OOTS is a pile of wank."

Discuss.

I raise your OOTS is a pile of wank to

OOTS is a good song; CFYT is a huge pile of flaming shit.

Americanized, bitch.

This thread makes the little baby axver cry.

Oh and One Tree Hill is one of the best songs on the Joshua Tree but probably between 11 and 20 in my top songs overall. :p

@axver: OTH is in my top ten...you know i love AOTEAROA...its the real(!) gods own country...don't believe what some hypocrates in the US say. viva NEW ZEALAND...viva THE ALL BLACKS viva all the people there viva GREG CAROLL

phillyfan26 said:
I raise your OOTS is a pile of wank to

OOTS is a good song; CFYT is a huge pile of flaming shit.

Americanized, bitch.

I raise your "OOTS is a good song; CFYT is a huge pile of flaming shit" to:

OOTS would have been a good song if the production hadn't bloody slaughtered it, CFYT is one of the best songs on the album and horrifically under-rated, and ABOY is for pillocks.

Re-Commonwealthised, wanker. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
This thread makes the little baby axver cry.

:lmao:

jacobus said:
@axver: OTH is in my top ten...you know i love AOTEAROA...its the real(!) gods own country...don't believe what some hypocrates in the US say. viva NEW ZEALAND...viva THE ALL BLACKS viva all the people there viva GREG CAROLL

I couldn't agree more!! You know just the way to my heart. :wink:

Also, it was a hilarious moment when Bono came out in an All Blacks shirt for the second encore at the Auckland II concert - and then took it off to reveal an Irish rugby shirt underneath!

Axver said:

Well, I don't want to point fingers at the guy because I like him, but I think a certain Mr McKinney needs to acknowledge that this is all his fault!

Exhibit A, the post that sent this thread spiralling into peculiar directions:

Yes. I take the blame.
I figure you can't consider yourself a member of interference until you have derailed - preferably violently - at least one defenceless thread.
After that the remaining requirement is to post at least one thread proposing any given U2 song as the greatest ever written. I'm biding my time on that one. :wink:

Is it possible to stand on One Tree Hill & face Van Diemen's Land?

Axver said:
I have to wonder how different this thread would be had I just dropped the "Tree Hill". :|

What if U2 plays One tree hill but Bono snippets One at the end? ;)

Axver said:

Hooray for those of us whose last U2 show will probably be 25 November 2005, for the last song we will ever hear U2 play live is One Tree Hill. I wouldn't have it any other way.

:ohmy: Ax (can I call you Ax?) why did you infer that you won't ever be seeing U2 again? :( Or did you mean on this tour? Explain, Axy, as I am disillusioned as.

One Tree Hill is a good song for sure, but imo it's not even the best song on JT, let alone the best U2 song ever

bgmckinney said:

If I have time later I should start a thread for people who think something *unusual* is U2's best song - I mean, something besides One, WOWY, BD, SBS... I'd like to see what other songs do take that prize in people's minds.

I don't know about best, but sometimes I think Do You Feel Loved is my favourite. It's been the top played on both of my iPods, meaning it's my most listened song for at least a couple years. and it's always been one of my top from Pop, which is of course my favourite album.

There are other times that Gone is my favourite song ever. Sometimes it's Acrobat. Those two are uncommon among casual but not so much among diehards.

One Tree Hill is a nice song.
not sure where i would rank it among my faves.
but ya, its good with some good lyrics :yes:

Does anyone know what the band members' favourite U2 songs are? I recall reading/hearing it about it a while ago but can't remember details.

(Oh, and apologies if (i) this has been the subject of other threads and/or (ii) this should be the subject of another thread)

PS Only U2 I dislike - Wild Honey. Gives me the shits without fail.

I'm finally jumping in on this thread - umpteen pages in - despite the fact that "One Tree Hill" is one of my favorite U2 songs (way up in the Top 5!).

When JT first came out, I'd only listen to the first three songs, then stop it! :ohmy: I abhorred the album version of "Bullet" (to be honest, to this day, I'm still not a huge fan of the song, but there are times I enjoy it more than others) as it ruined the mood created by those first three songs. On the rare times I gave the album more of a chance, songs like "Trip", which I consider U2's worst song ever, really destroyed JT for me!

As a result, I pretty much ignored the entire second half of JT.

That is, until one day in 1988 or so, I finally listened to all of "One Tree Hill". I was hooked.

I guess what I love is not just the outstanding poetry of the song (I wish Bono would return to some of this writing again - personal writing is fine, but it's this more abstract poetry that I enjoyed best), but the pure passion of the song. I also enjoyed the unusual music (for U2). But I think the moment I enjoyed most was the "and when it's raining" segment. Simple, pure, passionate, heart-felt - it's this big emotional cathartic release.

"One Tree Hill" helped me to discover the rest of the magic on JT. While there's still some crap and filler on JT, IMO, songs like "Hill" are what helped make the album a legend.

though I wouldn't call this the best song ever when asked for my opinion on the best song, it does feel like the best song every time I listen to it

Salome said:
though I wouldn't call this the best song ever when asked for my opinion on the best song, it does feel like the best song every time I listen to it

Perfect.

Here is what has sent me to Heaven each time it is played:

Bad (Saitama, Dec 4th) with the snippets of Ruby Tuesday leading straight into One Tree Hill (Saitama, Nov 30th). Honestly, you'd think it is a natural transition and from the same night. After that, I top it off with Kite (Melbourne, Nov 18th).

You'd be hard pressed to find a more glorious 20 minutes of the V Tour. :drool:

One Tree Hill is not my fav song ever but is among the top 20 sometimes 10. But every time I listen to 12-26-89 version I think it's the best. It has a special atmosphere and its own personality plus the lyrics:heart:
IMO last 3 songs on JT are as great if not even greater than the first 3.

It's in my Top 15. The album version doesn't do some of the live versions justice (STILL haven't head that Dublin version cause my computer only receives s a v e f i l e files...don't ask why).

I still contend the 1989-12-30 Dublin version slays 12-26...something about the echo effect on Bono's vocals on 12-26, or the ending. But IMO 12-30 has "best" versions of easily a half-dozen songs, so maybe I'm biased.

CTU2fan said:
I still contend the 1989-12-30 Dublin version slays 12-26...something about the echo effect on Bono's vocals on 12-26, or the ending. But IMO 12-30 has "best" versions of easily a half-dozen songs, so maybe I'm biased.

That reading of On The Road at the start of Streets gives me goosebumps.

Back
Top Bottom