One Step Closer Vs. The First Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this point I prefer One Step Closer, comparing album version to album version. It will be interesting to hear a live version of One Step Closer.

ponkine said:
THE FIRST TIME. Period :yes: :heart: ;) :up:

I really don´t know how someone come to compare both songs :down:. The closest song to One Step Closer is Grace, so let´s compare both "songs" if you want it, but really don´t try to match them with such musical pieces as The First Time :heart:. Moreover, some people - from magazines reviews - even tried to compare One Step Closer with Running To Stand Still, that´s simply unforgivable :tsk:. One Step Closer is just 3:51 ( the same lenght that Pride... nowhere near Pride... ) of nothing at all, another filler song. Plus Bono sings like s**t. Why does he pretend to sing with "Passion" and "Heart" by singing raspy, lazy, half- asleep, weak and crappy ?. I really can´t stand that.

I´m sorry but Running To Stand Still and The First Time are out of this world :love:

Peace :wave:

Sounds like you have a blind hate for the new album. I have some disappointments with the album too (like relatively weak lyrics and recycled guitar in parts) but OSC is one track where I think Bono sounds really good! There are no high notes that he's straining to reach and he doesn't do the slow talk-singing like he does in parts of ATYCLB.

And he hasn't done talk-singing in the 90's?

ATYCLB is the first album, since the 80's, where he went back to singing. And at least he can go back to the high notes now.

One Step Closer easily. :up:

Both songs could be accused of going nowhere, but while The First Time is repetitive and grounded, OSC has beauty that shines through. Basically OSC is the much more rounded song.

roy said:
One Step Closer easily. :up:

Both songs could be accused of going nowhere, but while The First Time is repetitive and grounded, OSC has beauty that shines through. Basically OSC is the much more rounded song.

:up:

The First Time, no question.

They're both good songs, but when I listen to 'The First Time', I get the feeling it just happened, but when I listen to 'One Step Closer', I get the feeling they were consciously trying to make that sound again. And I like the lyrics better too, although both are very good.

"shows me colors/when there's none to see/gives me hope/when I can't believe/that for the first time/I feel love"

U2girl said:
And he hasn't done talk-singing in the 90's?

ATYCLB is the first album, since the 80's, where he went back to singing. And at least he can go back to the high notes now.

That is a ridiculous statement. To say that he didn't sing on AB, Zooropa, or Pop, is to make one thing you haven't really listened to those records.

namkcuR said:

That is a ridiculous statement. To say that he didn't sing on AB, Zooropa, or Pop, is to make one thing you haven't really listened to those records.

Whatever you say.

Last edited:
Hard choice between these 2 tracks...I cant pick 1.

I am just about tired of these 80s-90s-2000s arguements....its all U2 and for the most part for 25 years they have been excellent thoughout....maybe 1 or 2 tracks per album that could have been improved upon but most other groups even the great ones have at least half the tracks that could be improved upon.

One Step Closer = pure soul

I love The First Time too

They're both special

The First Time is a "holier" sort of song; its visceral, emotional impact is greater.

One Step Closer has, in my opinion, better lyrics. They're quite visual and evocative in a more specific way than The First Time's parable in broader strokes. Maybe you have to be on the down side of 35 to get the full effect, but the song is a beautiful treatise on aging and maturity.

Both fit their album's themes perfectly. If I had to pick one to be saved from destruction, it would be The First Time, because of the sheer beauty and transcendence, but I think both are very worthy additions to the canon.

The First Time - amazing vocal work.

Also, great way to introduce The Million Dollar Hoitel.

Back
Top Bottom